Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Options

Comments

• Nanny2Nurse
    Options
    Last thing I want to do is defend these crooks but I should mention that I cancelled in late July and they didn't take another payment in late August, so they are honouring some people's requests properly.
  • Bored
    Bored Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Last thing I want to do is defend these crooks but I should mention that I cancelled in late July and they didn't take another payment in late August, so they are honouring some people's requests properly.

It's probably just bad luck on my part that somebody on the other end of the line didn't click the right button or untick the correct box. I just thought I'd give other people a heads up just in case it's happening to anyone else.
    2023 Mortgage-Free Wannabe #19: £11,675.68/£13,000
    Mortgage Overpayment Total: £22,397.1
  • Nanny2Nurse
    Options
    Bored wrote: »
    It's probably just bad luck on my part that somebody on the other end of the line didn't click the right button or untick the correct box. I just thought I'd give other people a heads up just in case it's happening to anyone else.

You've done the right thing. I was completely expecting the same as you, in which case I'd have made a complaint to my bank in writing and demanded some sort of action against them.
  • Bored
    Bored Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well I'm not convinced my phone call to Equifax was very successful. I was on hold for 5 minutes before I had a chance to speak to someone. She confirmed that I cancelled the subscription on the 30th July, and then she got very confused after I told her I'd been charged on the 25th of August. I had to repeat it 4 times before she accepted what I said. She put me on hold for a further 5 minutes because she was waiting for a response from someone (I didn't catch who), then when she came back she told me I'd hear something from a different department within 24 - 48 hours and promptly hung up. Hmmm...
    2023 Mortgage-Free Wannabe #19: £11,675.68/£13,000
    Mortgage Overpayment Total: £22,397.1
  • Nanny2Nurse
    Options
    Really is about time these people were brought to account for their actions. How are they being allowed to get away with this theft ?
  • SidToxteen
    Options
    WARNING - EQUIFAX CON!!!

I have just applied on-line for their one-off credit report. I completed their form, filling everything in perfectly and with great care. Then it wouldn't let me log-in (after I had paid!!!!).Wouldn't even recognise my name, etc. It only told me that I had to phone them. So I did, and was finally put through to a pushy sales-person who told me I could sign-up for the 30 day trial. They said I had to give them my card details again ... OVER THE PHONE!!!

I told them (in no uncertain terms) that this was an obvious (and despicable) ploy to get me to sign-up for a long-term product, WHICH I DIDN'T WANT! So I told them to cancel it immediately!!

So WATCH OUT! I'll be checking my VISA statement carefully for any recurring payments

Crikey if Equifax are 'at it' what hope is there???
  • bangormaine
    Options
    I have managed to get a free credit report from equifax, but now I need to know how to cancel my account so I dont end up paying anything. I cant find anything on their site on how to cancel. Please help.

I too took out a free trial and over a year later they are taking a monthly fee from my credit card.
    I cancelled the subscription before the trial period ended and they said there would be no problem, they then said "can we send you free alerts for a year" . This seemed harmless enough. Little did I know that after one year they sneakily started taking £2.99 out of my credit card account every month. I only noticed when I came back of holiday and saw the two payments detailed on my statement. I was never sent any warning that they had stitched me up like this so now I am prepared for a battle with them to confess their crimes and hand back my money. Watch what you do with these people they have very low ethical standards. However I am sure they have researched their con trick very carefully and it will all be my fault and perfectly legal.
  • headknee
    Options
    I too took out a free trial and over a year later they are taking a monthly fee from my credit card.
    I cancelled the subscription before the trial period ended and they said there would be no problem, they then said "can we send you free alerts for a year" . This seemed harmless enough. Little did I know that after one year they sneakily started taking £2.99 out of my credit card account every month. I only noticed when I came back of holiday and saw the two payments detailed on my statement. I was never sent any warning that they had stitched me up like this so now I am prepared for a battle with them to confess their crimes and hand back my money. Watch what you do with these people they have very low ethical standards. However I am sure they have researched their con trick very carefully and it will all be my fault and perfectly legal.

I just called to cancel my account, and it took me 7 times to say 'no, just cancel it please'. They gave me the speech about the free alerts for a year and then quickly mentioned it'd be £2.99 a month after - will await next month to see if I've actually been successful!
  • Dorsetsi
    Options
    Just used this freephone to cancel:

0800 0665825

(got it from saynoto0845)

Option 2 put me through to an operator who sorted the cancellation out within minutes. They tried the usual trick with the free alerts and £2.99 after a period, so remember to make sure they don't leave that on your account....I will be checking!
  • kjones20
    Options
    I have just spoken with Equifax and requested they cancel my account AGAIN (Did this first about a year ago but could not remember exact date) They have continued to charge me £6.99 per month after I cancelled last year (my fault, don't check credit card statements usually) After a firm chat with the operator, I've been advised my account is closed, and they are refunding me £41.94 but I'm not holding my breath!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure