PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curry Night

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd say, yes OK, but I reckon you'll only need about half the amount of each. Remember the basic sauce is quite mild.

Curry_Queen will be along later to adjust levels I'm sure, but in the meantime remember the old adage that you can always add a few more spices if needed but it's a right beggar trying to take them out!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Although I said thanks on todays OS thread, I just thought I'd say 'ta' proper like on here, now it's re-appeared :D

Cheers, CQ, old girl. Made the base sauce last night and then went on to make a lamb bhuna. Yum Yum Yummity Yum :D Mr TM tells me it's the bestest curry I've ever made and I did 'fess up that it was one of your recipes :D

I have loads of base sauce left, so will be bagging it up and freezing it later - unless I decide to make a chicken korma tomorrow - the kids will enjoy that one - maybe even mine :)

Are there lots more recipes in the index yet? Hope so. Will have to investimigate later :D
  • Badgergal
    Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    I made a prawn bhuna (using the chicken bhuna recipe with prawn in place of chicken) for me and the boyf. The boyf pronounced it "tasty" which is high praise indeed considering his Dad was from Goa so he knows his curries!

Thank you! Have got the rest of the base sauce in the freezer, and the rest of last night's curry for my lunch at work today (my colleagues are gonna love me making this place smell like a takeaway!Muhaha!)
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I decided that I couldn't be the only one not to have tried it, so me onions are currently on the boil! (I mean simmer)

I remember watching one of those moneyspinning programmes a while back (you know the one, with that annoying woman when it should have been Martin's job ;) ) & the family were spending too much on takeaways, so they got an indian chef to show them how to make it themselves. He said the secret was all in the "onion base", so I've high hopes for this!
  • bigburd
    bigburd Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    this was the best curry i've ever made - all the family loved it. OH made the nan breads, they were great too!! Thanks very much for this :T
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jewlls wrote:
    Hi there,
    This will be the first time that I am attempting to make one of these curries, but I need to know if i can use ground ginger and garlic granules in the basic curry sauce method. It says to use 50g ginger and 50g of garlic?,
    Thought I would ask first to be on the safe side.

PS I forgot to ask can it all be frozen as I am attempting the dansak.

Jewlls

I wouldn't like to say yes as these are completely different products to fresh garlic and ginger, which is what you really need to use, and they have different uses in cooking. You can get away with using the jars of minced stuff as that's still basically in it's fresh form, but I personally wouldn't use garlic granules or ground ginger.

If you want to try it then why not try making a very small amount and see how it turns out rather than risk ruining such a large batch? If you do, let me know how it turns out, although of course you won't know what the finished product should taste like to compare it to :confused:

Good luck! :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im definitely going to try these curry recipes, as Ive tried curries in the past and found them a bit lacking. (Incidentally, when I first saw your name, Curry Queen, I thought perhaps you ate a lot of takeaways!!!).

Can I just ask, do you use salted or unsalted cashews?
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beachbeth wrote:
    (Incidentally, when I first saw your name, Curry Queen, I thought perhaps you ate a lot of takeaways!!!).

Can I just ask, do you use salted or unsalted cashews?

LOL! I did go through a spell of being a take-away junkie but my bank balance wasn't too happy about it which is why I decided to re-create those dishes at home ;)

I find now that there's very few take-aways I can actually eat without feeling bloated and very thirsty (probably the MSG and additives they use) and sometimes feel quite ill! ... so we don't have them very often, if at all these days. The exception to the rule is a nice lamb or chicken shish kebab as it's basically unadulterated meat and salad. Doner meat is far too salty! Fish and chips are ok too occasionally, but not great for the waistline ;)

The cashews I buy are just the plain white ones which are meant for cooking with, rather than those salted or roasted ones sold as nibbles, although I'm sure you could use them too but make sure you reduce any additional salt to your dish to compensate for them :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks a lot for that CQ! I feel the same about takeaways. When I make chinese dishes myself at home they are far superior, less salty and we all enjoy them far more. I know whats gone into them too!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, all

Due to popular demand I've managed to fiddle things around a bit and get Curry Queen's World Famous Curry Sauce Recipe as the first post in what once was the "Curry Queen you're a star" thread and, as you can see - it's now called Curry Night.

Good innit? chuckle.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport