PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curry Night

Comments

• I make my own garam masala so I can make up just enough quantity that I know I'll use within a month or so and I should imagine that most of you will have the spices in that go into it, or at least be able to obtain them easier from Tesco's etc.

This quantity makes up enough for around a dozen curries ...

1 tbsp coriander seeds
    1 tbsp cummin
    1 tsp green cardamoms
    1 tsp cloves
    1 tsp black peppercorns
    2 sticks cinnamon
    2 bay leaves
    4 black cardamoms

Just grind it all together in either a pestle and mortar or one of those little blender mill thingies and store in an airtight container! :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Willstill have to go to the asian supermarket on Sunday. I have as much hope of getting cardamom and coriander seeds in my nearest supermarket as I have of rising and flying. But at least I have an excuse to visit now ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Then perhaps C_Q could provide you with an all round handy spice shopping list so that you only have to go there once...? Unless you want an excuse to visit lots of times :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • That's a plan and a half!!

Well C_Q what about it then? What's the best spices to have in my store cupboard??
  • What's the best spices to have in my store cupboard??

Ok, I'll make a list of the most common ones you'd need ... and as I mentioned earlier, try to get whole spices i.e. seeds, leaves etc where possible and grind them yourself, as they'll keep for much longer this way, but if you don't fancy doing that then just buy small quantities of the ground spices :)

Cardamom pods - both green and black - (although I only tend to use the black ones to make garam masala, so unless you intend to make your own too then you can get away without them). You can buy ground cardamom but it loses it's fragrance rather quickly and isn't a frequently used spice.

Cummin - a "must have" spice!

Coriander - a "must have" spice!

Chilli - a definite "must have"! - I usually buy this in hot powdered form, although I sometimes use fresh chilli if I have them in, or even dried ones occasionally.

Cinnamon - good idea to have both the ground and the sticks!

Cloves - again whole or ready ground.

Nutmeg - used occasionally but most people have some in anyway.

Paprika - normal ground paprika is fine.

Turmeric - usual stuff!

Fenugreek - comes in dried leaves or ground, and isn't that essential but it's nice to use in some curries and has a lovely flavour/fragrance!

Garlic - essential - fresh or ready minced.

Ginger - essential - fresh root or ready minced.

That's about it for the basic spices, although there's lot's more stuff you can buy of course, but unless you're going to use them more than just a couple of times then it's just not worth the investment.

No doubt you'll manange to fill your basket up going to an Asian supermarket though, I'm jealous!!! :p
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Great C_Q!! :T

I will print this list off for my trip up on Sunday. It's a once in a blu moon trip as I have to travel to Belfast each time and I live approx 30 miles away.

I work there during the week but can never get time whiole I'm out in the van to call in!!

Wonder if Noozan can add any other things to use in cooking from the asian food stores?? :think:
  • C_Q, I just wanted to say thank you as i made your korma curry today and the whole family loved it, especially my four year old who sat there and kept saying things like "aren't i scoffing it?" and "mummy you made us a lovely tea". I don't think i have ever had that many compliments from him before and he asked for more!

So from all of my family, sat here with rather full tummies :A
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Just wanted to let you know I made your curry sauce on Saturday, and dh and i tucked into enormous bowls of chicken bhuna that evening.

Wow - it was FANTASTIC!!!! My dh has requested you send me another 50 recipes so he can be chief taster!! I'm just so glad there's enough in the freezer to keep him happy for a little while!!

To anyone that's seen C-Q's recipe and thought it seemed like a lot of hassle - believe me it's dead easy, and tastes sublime.

After our fantastic meal on saturday, we were invited to friends last night for a take away,and ended up with curry again. First thing dh said when we got home was 'Hmm, that was no where near as good as Curry Queen's recipe'!!

So thank you - you're a star. :beer:
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Yes I made the chicken Bhuna and it was really lovely, cant wait to try the other recipes.

Thank you Curry-Queen!
  • jewlls
    jewlls Posts: 278 Forumite
    Hi there,
    This will be the first time that I am attempting to make one of these curries, but I need to know if i can use ground ginger and garlic granules in the basic curry sauce method. It says to use 50g ginger and 50g of garlic?,
    Thought I would ask first to be on the safe side.

PS I forgot to ask can it all be frozen as I am attempting the dansak.

Jewlls
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport