PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til Christmas - healthily?! Weezl's next challenge...

Comments

• Hi
    I'm relatively new round here but am already mighty impressed by the previous challenge - and now this...GO WEEZL YOU CAN DO IT!! :A

I cannot hope to aspire to such heights (or low-ghts ;) ) of budgetting - yet - as you dear weezl, but you have really made me think. I've stopped going into the local "stock up quick" shop and coming out with a handful of things I could've REALLY done without because i started thinking of how long you and MR Weezl could live on what I'd just spent!

All the very best, I'll be watching with great interest
    To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
    e.e. cummings
  • Weezl, like many others I shall watch with interest. I followed your previous challenge, and was amazed at your discipline, determination and creativity.
    You go for it girl :T:T:T:T:T
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    At W*** so just logged in to say well done & great to have a new one!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• ZoeGirl_3
    ZoeGirl_3 Posts: 383 Forumite
    Sounds like fun, I think challenging yourself like this keeps things interesting :P
    "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!!"
    Nov NSD: ?/30 Nov Make 10 Day ?/300
    Get Rid Of Debt: ?/2000 !! :mad:
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Truely inspirational.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    All the best for the new challenge, Weezl! And, of course, good luck to anyone else who is brave enough to join in. :) I'll be dabbling rather than adopting such stringent measures, but I'm looking forward to the journey. In the meantime, I hope it's not too early in the thread to offer a recipe...

In the last thread, ISOM posted a recipe for Ginger Sekanjabin, which I tried and liked (although I reduced the vinegar content). I hadn't heard of this Persian drink before, so I looked it up and found that it is traditionally made with mint, which is flourishing in my garden at the moment. All the recipes I found for mint sekanjabin involved boiling everything together for half an hour or so, so since I am very lazy, I thought I would try incorporating the mint concept into the more streamlined recipe posted by ISOM. I fiddled with the general proportions as well, to reduce the vinegar a little, and, since I didn't want to be landed with vast excesses of a drink that might turn out to be rank, I reduced the overall quantity.

The outcome was a lovely summery drink, which is delicious served chilled on a hot day. I imagine you could also use the syrup in anything where you wanted to add a sweet-sour mint flavour (I'm thinking of lamb dishes, or fruit salads, or tequila cocktails, or mixed with apple juice into a sorbet, or drizzled over melon), but I haven't tried out those ideas yet. The recipe is extremely economical if you have mint growing in the garden, and I find it is quite cost-effective in portion control as well, since the children aren't over-generous when they pour out the syrup... the vinegar taste is a lovely, refreshing nuance at low concentrations, but doesn't make for pleasurable drinking if you mix the drink too strong!

I thought I would post the recipe here, in case anyone fancies trying a very cheap, refreshing and slightly unusual drink which they can offer to guests young and old while lazing on the patio or watching the Wimbledon final (supposing the sun shines!). A big thank you to everyone who posted recipes on Weezl's previous thread.

Mint cordial

Ingredients:
    400g sugar (£0.32, Tate & Lyle granulated, £0.79 for 1 kg bag)
    300ml water (free)
    100ml cider vinegar (£0.13, Sainsbury's Cider Vinegar, £0.63 for 500 ml bottle)
    handful of mint leaves, washed and shredded (free from garden)

Method:
    1. Put water and sugar in a saucepan, stir well, then bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
    2. Add the mint leaves and simmer (with the lid on) for a few minutes.
    3. Stir in the vinegar and mix well.
    4. Remove from heat, cover and leave to cool.
    5. When cold, strain to remove the mint leaves, then bottle in a sterilised bottle.

To serve:
    1. Shake the bottle well.
    2. Pour 1 tbsp syrup into a glass.
    3. Top up with chilled water, to make 250 ml (or to taste).
    4. Stir well before drinking.

Yield:
    Makes just over 500 ml of syrup. At the concentration I like, this dilutes to about 9 litres (36 servings, each of 1 tbsp syrup made up to 250 ml with water).

Total cost:
    £0.45 for the whole batch, or about one-and-a-quarter pence per serving
  • shaz_mum_of__2
    shaz_mum_of__2 Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    OOOhh Avocet the first recipe

From lurkdom to stardom in a few days ;)

The more the merrier i say i guess the POTM will increase attention

The coconut cake i linkied too the other day here

the weights are
    1 cup sugar = 200g
    1 cup dessicated coconut = 75g
    1 cup milk = 250ml
    1 cup flour = 250g

my calculations make that 50p per 2lb loaf (about 10 pieces or 8 fat ones) i think acetate monkey may get fattened yet:rotfl:

Shaz
    Shaz
  • Go Weezl!

Your last thread really inspired me and i've cut our food budget down a lot.

I was going to plan my budget by an amount per week but instead i'm reworking out this months budget based on 31 days times a daily spend per adult/child/cat.

You posted your recipe for the 9p loaf of bread on another thread could you add it onto your list of recipes as i think it will really help more people.

BB+B
  • Bexstars
    Bexstars Posts: 365 Forumite
    nooooo! I missed the other challenge and now have to read it! been dipping in and out of it all day and only on page 10, i think this may take me a while :o

best of luck with your new challenge, I shall be reading with interest
  • Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OOOhh Avocet the first recipe

From lurkdom to stardom in a few days ;)

The more the merrier i say i guess the POTM will increase attention

The coconut cake i linkied too the other day here

the weights are
    1 cup sugar = 200g
    1 cup dessicated coconut = 75g
    1 cup milk = 250ml
    1 cup flour = 250g

my calculations make that 50p per 2lb loaf (about 10 pieces or 8 fat ones) i think acetate monkey may get fattened yet:rotfl:

Shaz

Thanks for the recipe link, Ds2 (age 3) has just made this... we will be tasting it after tea :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure