PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til Christmas - healthily?! Weezl's next challenge...

Options

Comments

• queen_of_string
    Options
    Thanks ISOM I wasn't sure they'd be fit for anything as theyre not really ripe.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • jenid
    jenid Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations on completing your last challenge Weezl and on winning thread of the month, very well deserved!

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do with your next challenge, I have no doubt you will complete it and look forward to all the fun along the way!

:beer:
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options
    Hi weezl and all,
    I noticed that you mentioned finding more desserts for mr weezl, have you tried carrot halwa? I had it at a restaurant and though it seems weird to have a sweet carrot pudding it was delicious and quite light whilst looking really impressive. I think I also mentioned in another thread that carrot jam is pretty lovely, though some of my friends refused to try it it is lush on a piece of toast
    :staradmin
    (apologies if these were covered on the other thread, still working my way through, taking notes as I go)
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all!

Day 3 Dawns greyly in Cardiff...

Sian the green, we did have an ace carrot and orange marmalade recipe from shaz_mum_of_2:A in the last challenge, but no jams or Halwas yet, so we'd love any recipes you'd like to share!:T

queen of string don't throw the cherries away! even if very sour you could sweeten with sugar, add a little vinegar and some onion and make a fab sour cherry chutney for serving with cheese. Oooops, wipes drool from keyboard!;)

Aril, the cordial thing, does it come out like a sponge cake? Is it quite moist? How much can you taste the elderflower? Many questions!!!!:D

After a bit more internet research, I'm not so gutted, as the kalonji seeds I bought are different to the ones that are in my garden. One is like a cross between onion and cumin, t'other is a bit like grapes, so would've been weird in naan bread!:eek:

I was a bit of a plonker yesterday in linking t'blog to my profile. I'm off to have another go now.

Speak soon,

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • salome
    salome Posts: 352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Weezl74 I have a son in Cardiff. He works in a Jewlers in your town centre (don't know if I'm allowed to name it on here, anyway it begins with c) If you go past pop in and say hi to him. He's the dark haired cheeky one :-)

Good luck with your challenge. Shall enjoy keeping up with your adventure.
    A work in progress :D
  • witchypoo
    witchypoo Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm really excited to follow your success this time around! I came to your old challenge so late that you had already celebrated your win lol congrats on that! I need cheap recipes, especially Vegetarian and vegan ones so the more the merrier! I'll take a look at some of mine and see whether they ight come in cheap. Hmm the one I had particularly in mind has saffron in it which is soo not cheap. I guess one could put a pinch of turmeric in it's place.

Best of luck, we are all cheering you on!
    :T
    IAAR/IAAMM/MFTMFAQ/IOA6BH
  • weezl74
    Options
    Hiya salome, I shall say 'hi, I met your mum on the internet!';):rotfl:

In the last challenge, I realised there were a few things that me and Mr Weezl can't compromise on. The month on powdered milk in tea, was an experience we don't want to live with long term!:eek:

I also HATE instant coffee!

So fresh milk and posh coffee- non negotiables for us. How do they fit into this budget?

Well, I noticed that ikea were doing 3 for 2 on 250g dark roast coffee, which because of the special offer is cheaper than asda. £2.40 bought 750g (3x 250g) coffee. So at the moment, a cafetiere of coffee costs me 8p if I use 25g coffee each time. I tried going as low as 20g but I didn't like it! I have that over a max of 2 days, sometimes 1 if I'm home in the day.

Also in an exciting feegan kinda way, someone lovely sent me a gift of posh coffee at the end of my last challenge(
    shaz:A;)), so I sometimes won't even need to spend the 8p!

8p or 4p a day out of my 50p doesn't feel too much of a dent, so I'm wired with caffeine as we speak!

Love Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, loving the new thread. Quick question for you, the wind has blown about half of my cherries, half ripe off the tree at work. Is there anything I can do with them?

Looking forward to tales of foraging, pickling and bottling over the coming weeks, maybe even some glut management :-)

Can I just stick in a teensy leetle thought purlease on "glut management". Should any of us get a "glut" of food that is not usable/storable by ourselves can we maybe.........give it away. It helps others a bit with their own financial problems and "what goes around comes around" and all that. Freeconomy is just starting off at the moment - and I am watching with interest. However - there is already LETS Schemes.

And...for all of us....there is already just putting it on a table with a notice saying "Help yourself" - in our churches, in our social groups, in our workplace, charity shops (?), wherever. It would be a shame to see good food binned when the world is starting to go short of it......:D
  • weezl74
    Options
    ceridwen, I totally agree! I work in a university, and regularly there are staff events, catered for, and loads of left-over sandwiches, cakes, fruit juice... all thrown away daily.:mad:

And there are 25000 students, all notching up thousands of pounds worth of debt to study there. But if the uni put a sign on it saying 'help yourself' and one student got food poisoning cos an egg mayo sandwich had sat outside for a bit long, they could sue the university for damages, so no-one will offer it!:eek:

It's so sad! I feel really incensed and heartbroken.

But I do take stuff home myself, cos I hate waste, and I'm never going to sue anyone cos of the state of some free food, that's my look out!:D

Weezl x

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ah-ha! Just had a checksee and our Weezl's official blog is now officially "live". Yay:j :T

Homepage sorted and - for an alternative route:

http://weezl.wordpress.com/

There ya goes...or, rather there I go, to add her to my blogroll........(ceridwen vanishes out the door...)..."exit screen left".

EDIT: Just seen your post above weezl - too true - what a waste. Crikey..my workplace is distinctly "conscious" of the risk of being sued - but leftover food is left for people to help themselves. There has never been any problems...and it vanishes in about 2 seconds flat....(they obviously need to pay us more LOL). Isnt there some "nod and a wink" non-official technique they could use - "nudge - we just happened to mention its in x location and we just wont happen to be passing if you lot are...."?

2ND EDIT: Duly done and dusted - our Weezl is now on my blogroll!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure