Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• DAVID.T_3
    Options
    bobhawke wrote: »
    Because winter came early and it was a lot worse than expected? Because fuel companies deliberately delay deliveries near winter so they can push up the prices and make more money?

Yes bob, we park all the vehilces up at the top of the yard until the price goes up, then start delivering. he he he

Also America was responsible for 911
    and Elvis is alive and well living in Leicester.

Just to be clear lpg tankers are out every single working day, delivering as much as a full load as possible!! That's how tankers make money.

Also your comment "Top up customers pay more" is also incorrect they do not.
  • longforgotten
    Options
    Had letter from Countrywide, going up by 3.9p per litre:o
  • SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2011 at 1:09PM
    Options
    bobhawke wrote: »
    I didn't contradict myself, I offered a couple of reasons why people were having trouble filling early.
    You couldn't drive in the middle of Edinburgh let alone in the countryside. The M8 (main road in scotland) was shut for a week, when it finally opened it was down to 20 miles an hour because of black ice. Alex Salmond was in parliament this week saying Scotland is prepared for any weather, meanwhile there was a 10ish car pile up on the M8 which shut it for 5 hours and a 5ish car pile up on the M9 which shut that, because of black ice.

If you take small quantities you get charged more. If you are on top up you get charged more.

You offered no reason why people could not fill early, I suggested filling up in November if you/they had, then you would not have not been cought out by the weather. April is also early except for large user.
    "If you take small quantities you get charged more. If you are on top up you get charged more"
    This maybe, JUST maybe for you or your company but I very much doubt it. I have never ever read about anyone else saying the same thing on this forum ?? Maybe you could point it out?
    "You couldn't drive in the middle of Edinburgh let alone in the countryside. The M8 (main road in scotland) was shut for a week, when it finally opened it was down to 20 miles an hour because of black ice."
    Is it possible that the latter might have been the cause of the late deliveries and not a conspiracy by the LPG companies?
  • Speakeasy_2
    Options
    I am on a metered estate and in the past have thought it a hassle because all the members have to agree before switching supplier or signing a contract. Having read these posts, I am now not so sure. We share tanks and there is a remote readout of the volumes at the base of the supplier. It is the responsibility of the supplier to ensure we do not run out and up to them when they top up (we were topped up the day before Christmas eve). We all have separate meters just like being on mains gas supply. Should the price of lpg change, it has no bearing on what is in the tanks and when they top up.

On the subject of oil compared with lpg, I have figures that there is 30% more heat in a litre of oil compared to a litre of lpg. The opposite of what brandeberryj posted, I have heard that lpg burns more efficiently than oil but do not know what that figure is (similar up to date equipment). Probably better to ignore the efficiency and as a guide go by oil needing to be 30% more expensive before lpg is the equal. I have been thinking about including mains gas in the comparison but have not found the relevant data yet. I don't know if anyone can help.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2011 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    I am on a metered estate and in the past have thought it a hassle because all the members have to agree before switching supplier or signing a contract. Having read these posts, I am now not so sure.

..<snip>

I have been thinking about including mains gas in the comparison but have not found the relevant data yet. I don't know if anyone can help.

1. I guess you know of this?

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/inquiries/current/gas/notice_order_metered_estates.pdf

Enjoy!

2. Notts publish energy cost comparisons - but you'll need to update the cost figures - and adjust efficiencies if necessary (non-condensing LPG boiler is ~75%, I'm told, condensing higher - though often not as high as claimed!):

http://www.nottenergy.com/energy-costs-comparison3

& - PS - Welcome to the Forum!
  • LittleVermin
    Options
    DAVID.T wrote: »
    Elvis is alive and well living in Leicester.

You've posted this in the wrong forum, I think!

Happy New Year.

PS Most of us thought he'd be seen in burgerland - not in the curry capital of the UK. Maybe that's why there have been so many false reports! Maybe you'll include a pic next time?
  • Speakeasy_2
    Options
    I have done as requested LittleVermin. Thanks for the links. As you have guessed, I am aware of the Competition Commission output. I will however take a look at the energy cost comparison. Just curious how much cheaper mains gas is. Not that I have much chance of getting it. As I have indicated, I have a feeling that there may be some advantages to being in a metered estate. I think I read on here about a guy who formed a group of individual tank owners. By his own admittance, quite a lot of work for him though.
  • LittleVermin
    Options
    Speakeasy wrote: »
    ..... I have indicated, I have a feeling that there may be some advantages to being in a metered estate.

I think I read on here about a guy who formed a group of individual tank owners. By his own admittance, quite a lot of work for him though.

1. Maybe relevant experience from a metered estate:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=37031086&postcount=221

2. Yes, someone DID post about setting up a buying consortium - and it was mentioned quite recently. But I cannot find the post(s). Maybe HateLPG made a note of it?
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...Yes, someone DID post about setting up a buying consortium - and it was mentioned quite recently. But I cannot find the post(s). Maybe HateLPG made a note of it?

Sorry all - I'm a frayed knot, or would have posted otherwise! :(
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 January 2011 at 12:19AM
    Options
    HateLPG wrote: »
    Sorry all - I'm a frayed knot ....

A sad sight!

But BINGO - here's the post about setting up a buying consortium, courtesy of mbday:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=38832310&postcount=369

(And after you've read his post please give that man a 'thanks'. He deserves it!)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback