Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• Poundnote
    Poundnote Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sunday Times Article - Shivering as the kids get dressed, where's our gas, Calor?

• JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Poundnote said:
    Sunday Times Article - Shivering as the kids get dressed, where's our gas, Calor?

Interesting... relying on telemetry, never a good idea. Check the gauge once a fortnight or so, order a refill when it gets down to 30% or so. Avoids panics all round. I always refuse telemetry, and a regular direct debit. Better to save up and pay in full when the tank is refilled.
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Lisa_mj
    Lisa_mj Posts: 62 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JerryW said:
    Poundnote said:

Interesting... relying on telemetry, never a good idea. Check the gauge once a fortnight or so, order a refill when it gets down to 30% or so. Avoids panics all round. I always refuse telemetry, and a regular direct debit. Better to save up and pay in full when the tank is refilled.
    Same here, no telemetry or direct debit, I put money aside monthly, earn a tiny bit of interest as the money accrues and pay in full when tank is refilled, I check gauge weekly and last time ordered at 30%, sadly didn't guarantee me a timely top up. Flogas current advice is to request top up when gauge is at 40%.  

Interesting article, @Poundnote thanks for sharing. Unfortunately just fuels (pun intended) anxiety about LPG providers being in total control of customer's access to their energy supply, and so to hot water and heating, which, at the fear of sounding like a stuck record, is simply unacceptable. I feel for the family, I really do, although I'm a little surprised they weren't keeping an eye on their gauge, even with the so called comfort of telemetrics, especially in winter. I guess if you've never experienced a problem you wouldn't ever anticipate there being one until it happens by which time it's too late.

I wasn't aware of the Liquid Gas UK until reading this article.  Seems it's a trade association funded by companies in the LPG industry, which doesn't instil much confidence as it's interest and objectives will be for member companies rather than the consumer, and one of those objectives will be PR and advertising for the industry so it would not be in it's interest to focus on when things don't work so well, sorry if that sounds cynical. That said, I will be contacting them to share my recent experience with them, the more awareness that can be a raised of issues LPG consumers are currently facing with continuity of supply the better...in my opinion.

• Uptonpark
    Uptonpark Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all LPG users, we are on a bulk estate metered supply serviced by Calor, I feel they are taking advantage of us and won’t engage about a price discussion. Would any of you kind people share any price information on metered estate prices, currently paying 72 pence per litre. Thanks.
  • Sorting_Hat
    Sorting_Hat Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Metered estate folk switch en masse, you cant go on your own.

You have probably joined a group contract, have you asked when its due to expire?
  • Uptonpark
    Options
    Thanks Sorting Hat, we know we need to switch on masse but want to get an understanding of the market price currently. We have seen new developments in Scotland supplied by Calor as low as 38 pence per litre, a House of Commons reports an average for the last 3 months of 2023 at 64 pence per litre and Pure LPG circa 48 pence per litre, would really like to know what other Calor metered estate customers are paying.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Uptonpark said:
    Thanks Sorting Hat, we know we need to switch on masse but want to get an understanding of the market price currently. We have seen new developments in Scotland supplied by Calor as low as 38 pence per litre, a House of Commons reports an average for the last 3 months of 2023 at 64 pence per litre and Pure LPG circa 48 pence per litre, would really like to know what other Calor metered estate customers are paying.

You would imagine that a group deal should be cheaper than for an individual .. anyhow 72p is hugely over the top. There are geographical variations (where are you?) but really should be near to 40p imo.
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Uptonpark
    Options
    Thanks JerryW, we are in South Devon, Calor have a major distribution site east of Plymouth, any intelligence would be appreciated.
  • The_Groundsman
    Options
    I've been with Calor for over 20 years and have had telemetry in various forms for a while now. We have almost run out over the last 2 winters and only avoided that by using the gas for hot water only once the tank dipped below 3%

According to the calor web site I was due a delivery over the last couple of weeks. I monitor the tank every few days so my anxiety levels are rising. Currently at 15% and I use around1.3% per day at the moment, I have decided not to chase up calor by phone this time as I am convinced it does no good and you spend hours in a queue. They will deliver when it suits them and no amount of chasing seems to make any difference. I've complained to my MP who referred to the minister responsible. I was asking for some sort of consumer protection and regulation but he didn't want to know about that and felt market forces should be enough to drive good service. 

My contract is due for renewal on 17th of March. How soon should I start shopping around for an alternative suppliers? When Can I expect Calor to offer me terms for renewal? or do  I need to call them? Are the laternative suppliers any better ( or heaven forbid worse than Calor)

Grateful for any recent experiences.
  • Lisa_mj
    Lisa_mj Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, @The_Groundsman thanks for sharing your story and well done for writing to your MP, also on my to do list. I would definitely start shopping around now as you're only a month from renewal and they will forward date any new contract. Try LPG Save as well as others, they will give you a Flogas quote which in my own experience has been more favourable than a direct quote from Flogas. Let us know how you get on
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback