Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• Lisa_mj
    Lisa_mj Posts: 62 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apologies if my comment was misconstrued, I merely meant that I don't know the answer to the question that was posed re whether LPG deliveries are covered by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act.  I of course was not proposing or recommending that lawyers should be consulted

You have been fortunate @JerryW, not everyone's experience has been the same as yours even with regular and polite dialogue
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lisa_mj said:
    Apologies if my comment was misconstrued, I merely meant that I don't know the answer to the question that was posed re whether LPG deliveries are covered by the 2015 Consumer Rights Act.  I of course was not proposing or recommending that lawyers should be consulted

You have been fortunate @JerryW, not everyone's experience has been the same as yours even with regular and polite dialogue

I don't feel all that fortunate .. I'm in my seventies and have experienced everything life can throw. I'm just trying my best to help folk deal with a genuine marketplace, that they probably don't experience so much these days, other utilities being so highly regulated.

If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Sorting_Hat
    Sorting_Hat Posts: 123 Forumite
    edited 5 February at 5:11PM
    Options
    Did you hear Jeremy Vine touching on LPG?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001vcyh
  • Goldie99
    Goldie99 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JerryW said:

- Place the order, online if possible. Flogas will tell you when the order is confirmed (next day, usually) and will say that delivery will be within the next 14 days.
    - 14 days on the dot, if it has not yet been delivered, telephone them and speak to a human. ask their name (and note it down), Be nice to them, they have a boring job. Ask them if the delivery is scheduled and if not, why not?
    - whatever they answer, tell them you will phone them again the next day because the delivery is important.
    Etc ... all my deliveries bar one were within the 14 day period, and the weather was so bad with the other one they said they couldn't get into their depot, never mind out.

All these companies are operated by people just like you and me. Talk to them..
    @JerryW

- My order was placed online, as was my tank level at the time - the order was indeed confirmed by Flogas the next day (both online & by email), with a delivery time given as within 14 days.
    - 14 days on the dot, I did call them, and spoke to a real person, but they couldn't tell me why my order was not delivered nor when it would be delivered, or indeed scheduled for that matter. They did however very kindly promise to check with the depot and call me back with an update the very next day. I'm still waiting for that call...
    - I called them again, 3 days later, and there is still no scheduled delivery date, nor any useful or meaningful information showing in my online account. The only thing they were able to tell me, is that they are now prioritising those customers who've already run out of gas !

I can only agree with Lisa_mj that maybe you've been more fortunate than some others, particularly those who've already run out of gas...

• Lisa_mj
    Options
    Did you here Jeremy Vine touching on LPG?

Thanks for sharing @Sorting_Hat do you know roughly how many minutes into the programme it's mentioned, would prefer to avoid the full 2 hours of Jeremy Vine if I can help it lol
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What can I say? I have been using bulk LPG for thirty years now, from every major supplier. Never come close to running out. I'm only really reporting my own experiences.
    One of my experiences however is that folk have grown much more brusque, over the years, and that sometimes can get in the way of what you want. Another one is that because so many markets are so regulated nowadays, folk don't really know how to negotiate. You don't negotiate in a supermarket, you buy it or you don't. My mother used to discuss everything with the greengrocer, the fishmonger .. they didn't sell her a pup more than once. You don't negotiate with other utilities either, no choice or use a search engine or comparison website or similar.
    Sorry, none of this applies to anyone here, just my view. But if you speak to any of the major suppliers and when you ring off, you didn't get the person's name that you spoke to, you could have done better. Advanced players, like my wife, will know what family they have, and what pets ... but she is as old-fashioned as I am. People say they are too busy; but they still have time for Eastenders or whatever
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Goldie99
    Goldie99 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lisa_mj said:
    Thanks for sharing @Sorting_Hat do you know roughly how many minutes into the programme it's mentioned, would prefer to avoid the full 2 hours of Jeremy Vine if I can help it lol
    @Lisa_mj - it starts at about 1:04:00 and goes on for about 5 minutes.

• Lisa_mj
    Options
    Goldie99 said:
    Lisa_mj said:
    @Lisa_mj - it starts at about 1:04:00 and goes on for about 5 minutes.

It was an interesting listen and very welcome to get some publicity for the potential (and sadly for some, real) issues faced by those of us dependent on LPG for our heating and hot water, the more awareness that can be raised the better.  A big thank you to the lady that rang in to the show and shared her experience, she has my empathy.  I hope I’m never in the same situation to completely run out, especially as I don’t have an immersion to heat my water nor do I have an electric shower (or a cost efficient way to retro-fit one unfortunately).

As I’ve said before, households on mains gas never give a second thought to the supply of gas to their homes, why should it be different for households reliant on LPG.  I do not believe it is fair to just shrug and say well that’s the way it is, get over it.

I believe it is unethical and socially irresponsible for LPG suppliers to allow any customer to come even close to running out of gas, and completely unacceptable for any customer to ever run out of supply (unless, of course, as a result of their own mis-management or irresponsibility).

It’s a national scandal that the LPG industry remains unregulated. All energy suppliers should be under legal obligation to ensure paying customers NEVER run out of supply.  Of course that is just my personal opinion, I know there will be others on this forum that may disagree.

I’m just off to check to my piggy bank to see if my savings are any closer to the £15k needed to connect to mains gas…

Happy Sunday all

• Sorting_Hat
    Sorting_Hat Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Lisa_mj said:

After Duran Duran
  • Lisa_mj
    Options
    Lisa_mj said:

After Duran Duran
    Yes, that was a bonus, my favourite song by my favourite band :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback