We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• paddytt
    paddytt Posts: 299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All
    Our bulk tank has just been filled up on 16th December at 57.25p + VAT, we’re with Calor through a buying group in East Anglia.  Just wondering how this compares?
    thanks
    TT
  • y-o-r-k-y
    y-o-r-k-y Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    paddytt said:
    Hi All
    Our bulk tank has just been filled up on 16th December at 57.25p + VAT, we’re with Calor through a buying group in East Anglia.  Just wondering how this compares?
    thanks
    TT
    Paying 50p+ vat with Flogas , delivered early December . 2 year fixed price contract in North Wales , through LPG compare.
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 304 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    paddytt said:
    Hi All
    thanks
    TT

47p + 5% VAT here in Kent with Flogas, 2 year fix. I would expect it to be less, if I were doing it now.. wholesale prices are well down.
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I paid 48p + VAT on 17th October for 1000 litres through our village buying group (20 people), from our local independent (Hampshire).
  • Lisa_mj
    Lisa_mj Posts: 62 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Happy New Year fellow forumites!

Please humour me with this post, I see it as form of therapy in a group of fellow LPG sufferers!  There is no need for reply, I just find it cathartic to get it off my chest.

• 4 Dec tank reading c28% - rang supplier (one of the BIG 2) to order top up, wanted to get order placed on my Year 1 ppl rate before rate goes up by 5ppl on 21 December. Given delivery date Tue 19 December
    • 19 Dec tank reading c23% - no delivery, called and told that even though delivery date 19 Dec showing on my account it was not a guaranteed date.  Further told that by their calculation based on current reading it will last 90 days (does not take into account increased winter usage or fact that my property is not accessible when it snows), asked for callback from delivery team to discuss earlier delivery date
    • 20 Dec - delivery team called back, adamant that based on reading and highest every daily usage of 10 litres per day current supply will last at least until 31 Jan and therefore this will be the scheduled date for delivery . Also promised to ring me back between 2 Jan and 5 Jan to check on up to date reading
    • 4 Jan tank reading c17% - email received at 18:30 confirming delivery would be next day Friday 5 Jan
    • 5 Jan - no delivery, rang late afternoon and told that tanker ran out of gas before it got to me, apparently I didn't get notified of this as I have 'not opted in for text updates on delivery progress', Given I have received texts in the past and I most definitely haven't opted out, I found this inexplicable...who wouldn't want to get a text telling them their delivery had been cancelled???
    • 10 Jan today tank reading 14% -  snow forecast in my area of Yorkshire next week, rang and unable to get any reassurance that delivery will happen before 31 Jan, reiterated that my home is not accessible when it snows, currently awaiting a callback from delivery team
    I've never experienced this before in my 5 years on lpg, always received a top up within a couple of weeks of ordering.

What I find incomprehensible is the fact that my supplier is not only in total control of my gas supply, but by default my supply of hot water and heating, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.  It is literally keeping me awake at night.

I never fully appreciated how privileged it was to be on mains gas and how much I took it for granted until I wasn't, oh how I miss:
    • a constant supply of gas to the home
    • never at risk of running out of gas
    • an easy to read meter
    • the freedom to change supplier
    • a competitive market and pricing
    • consumer protection through regulation and ombudsman

Thanks for reading this rather long winded tale...a whinge shared and all that!
  • LessImpecunious
    Options
    @Lisa_mj Don't Panic! I have had tank reading at, and even below, zero, and still had actual gas present...hopefully you'll get your delivery before that happens...  Alternatively, you might find that if you check your tank tomorrow and find that it has mysteriously suddenly dropped to zero, telling your supplier that might speed things up... ;)>:)
  • Lisa_mj
    Lisa_mj Posts: 62 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @LessImpecunious thanks for your reply and reassurance. It did go through my mind but I thought they'd probably ask me for photo evidence of my gauge reading and I'm not that good with Photoshop  :p 
  • 123Ed
    123Ed Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    paddytt said:
    Hi All
    thanks
    TT
    @paddytt you mention a buying group in East Anglia. Do you know if it covers North-east Suffolk? Thanks.
  • paddytt
    paddytt Posts: 299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    123Ed said:
    paddytt said:
    Hi All
    thanks
    TT
    @paddytt you mention a buying group in East Anglia. Do you know if it covers North-east Suffolk? Thanks.
    google Fram Farmers or go to framfarmers dot co dot uk…
  • JerryW
    JerryW Posts: 304 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    123Ed said:
    paddytt said:
    Hi All
    thanks
    TT

I'm sure they are great but at over 60p/l inc vat they are not cheap. I'm paying 47p + vat
    If what I said helped you, please "Thank" the relevant post. It cheers me up somewhat..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure