Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• We have just bought a place with LPG currently supplied by Calor. They are quoting us 47ppl guaranteed for 6 months and the option to exit contract if any rise more than 3.5ppl per quarter. We are told by previous owner there is about £500 of gas in the tank. Location is South Derbyshire. Any advice/ comments welcome! Please! Thanks very much.
  • x-x_2
    x-x_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    imac999 wrote: »
    Been using bulk lpg for 20 years ... around 3000 litres annually in Central Scotland. Current supplier (BPLPG) won't budge from 43.95, best quote from Flogas 42.5, Calor 47.4, Johnston 52.5 ... tho' they're supplying my neighbour at 44.0. All prices exclude VAT @ 5%.

Flogas has a bad press in the reviews and my experience with BPLPG has been good ... although they didn't deal very well with correspondence about several closely spaced price hikes last year.

Anyone got anything good to say about Flogas? ... or better the devil you know ?

If I was in this position I'd stick with BPLPG or try Shell if they are in your area. If you change supplier you will be stuck with a 2 year contract. I wouldn't switch to Flogas if they were the only supplier left.
  • Hello all,

This is my first post and as you can probably tell by my user name I'm not a big fan of Flogas.

The price of my gas has risen 56% in the last 12 months and its currently at 53ppl +vat. They usually tell you that its due to oil prices going up, but oil is currently the same price it was 6 months ago.

I found a website that lists the turnover/profits etc of companies.
    It makes interesting reading. Here's a few facts:

Flogas profits for the last financial year were almost £10 million, an
    increase of 400% in the last 5 years.

Strangely, turnover has actually decreased in the same period by 25%. Which takes no Einstein to work out that Flogas are just fleecing their customers for maximum profits.
    Flogas are using the principal that they know they will lose the wiser customer but they will make their money by ripping off the rest.

This is also shown by the huge payments Flogas is giving to their
    directors. A 600% increase in only the last 3 yrs! :mad:

Here's a link so you can see how greedy they are for yourselves

Ooops... wont let me do a link as I'm a newbie. If anyone wants to see it I will mail it to them.

I would rather stick pins in my eyes than renew my contract with Flogas. I don't even think its the price rises that I hate so much about them. They like to try and control everything to ensure they can get maximum profit out of you. I bet even the directors granny is paying top whack for her gas.

Flogas have no shame. Even !!!!!! Turpin wore a mask.

The sooner the goverment clamp down on unfair energy prices the better.
  • HateLPG
    Options
    BIG News
    (If you happy to be lucky enough to live in the Wychavon District Council Area)

From The Droitwich Spa Advertiser, Friday 16th September 2011:
    WYCHAVON District Council is looking to help remote rural communities without a mains gas supply.

The council is working with suppliers of heating oil and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), the main alternatives to mains gas, to arrange discounted bulk purchasing of supplies to parish and town councils.

The aim is to reduce costs for everyone and ensure that people in rural communities have enough supplies to keep their homes heated during fierce cold winters, such as last year’s.

To do this the council has arranged a series of meetings with Calor, Countrywide and other local suppliers of LPG, and it has invited parish councils to send representatives to see how the arrangement could help the people in their area.
    Full story at http://www.droitwichadvertiser.co.uk/news/9255904.Council_to_help_remote_communities_without_mains_gas_supply/

This is a refreshingly enlightened approach by Wychavon District Council and is an extremely interesting development. Let's all hope that it works out well, and that other councils across the country follow suit!

I also think it would be time well spent if everyone on this forum passes this information on to their local councillor.
  • squelch41
    Options
    Flogas just upper my gas to 59ppl for a metered estate - usual reason - oil price going up and price **might** rise over the winter so they fix it until March.

<sigh>
  • Rhino666
    Options
    Hi

Posted on here a while back with details of subsidised LPG bought through Mole Valley Farmers from Calor using Framtrade as the intermediary.

An important disclosure regarding the contract

I was told that the contract with Calor was 2 years but it seems that the Commercial contract that needs to be signed with Calor is actually three years with three months termination notice required. I believe that the maximum domestic contract is 2 years - this does not apparently apply to the commercial contract required here.
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    squelch41 wrote: »
    Flogas just upper my gas to 59ppl for a metered estate - usual reason - oil price going up and price **might** rise over the winter so they fix it until March.

I'm sorry - I know wholesale LPG is pretty pricey at the moment, but 59ppl? That's just taking the proverbial.

Personally, I would challenge them and if they don't budge, tell them you will be drawing the attention of your local MP and Trading Standards to the price. Also, don't forget, if you are with Flogas, your contract is (in all probability) unfair and therefore unenforceable (read back through this thread for chapter and verse - I'll try to dig out some links later if I get the time)

I'm guessing most suppliers have held off with price rises while the OFT were digging into the Off Mains energy market, to avoid giving the OFT more ammunition. So are we seeing the begining of a flood of further cynical price rises starting, just as the OFT are dotting the 'i's and crossing the 't's in their forthcoming (probably weak and toothless) report into the workings of the LPG market? And will this trickle become a flood? I hope not, but I expect so! :-(
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rhino666 wrote: »

An important disclosure regarding the contract

I was told that the contract with Calor was 2 years but it seems that the Commercial contract that needs to be signed with Calor is actually three years with three months termination notice required. I believe that the maximum domestic contract is 2 years - this does not apparently apply to the commercial contract required here.

Rhino,

Are you a domestic user or a commercial user, and what price are you paying on your "commercial" contract?

You would have to check with someone qualified to advise on the legal ins and outs, but if you signed up *believing* you were signing a standard dometic contract and it wasn't made clear to you that you were signing a *commercial* supply contract, you may well have a strong case to fight and enforce teh two-year rule.
  • meagan
    Options
    i HAVE PULLED OF A COPY ABOUT THE WYCHAVON COUNCILS ACTION AND INTEND TO APPROACH MY PARISH COUNCIL TO SEE IF THE SAME ACTION CAN BE TAKEN HERE,I LIVE IN LINCOLNSHIRE AND MY DISTRICT COUNCIL IS NORTH KESTEVEN,SO IF ANY MEMBERS LIVING IN LINCOLNSHIRE WISH TO THE TAKE THE SAME ACTION WE MAY JUST GET SOMEWERE
    HateLPG wrote: »
    BIG News
    (If you happy to be lucky enough to live in the Wychavon District Council Area)

From The Droitwich Spa Advertiser, Friday 16th September 2011:

Full story at http://www.droitwichadvertiser.co.uk/news/9255904.Council_to_help_remote_communities_without_mains_gas_supply/

This is a refreshingly enlightened approach by Wychavon District Council and is an extremely interesting development. Let's all hope that it works out well, and that other councils across the country follow suit!

I also think it would be time well spent if everyone on this forum passes this information on to their local councillor.
  • ishmaelwhale
    Options
    just for information - shell are currently charging me 59.0+vat, flogas (gah!) have offered 42.85 for 6 months on a 2 year contract - they tell me that customers outside the fixed period are currently paying 50-52ppl for a similar usage (3000l pa).

they're the only two suppliers in my area. boo.
    waiting for a phone call from my "account manager" at shell... i'm out of contract and have less than 20% in the tank, so here's hoping...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback