PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Le_Foot
    Le_Foot Posts: 162 Forumite
    angelnikki wrote: »
    Do you mean adding it it the recipe index on the first page? cos I've already added it. ;)Recipe Index

Nikki
    x

Yes thats what I meant. Thanks Nikki, but could you tell me how to do it for future.:A
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • busy_mum_4
    busy_mum_4 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Please could someone post their fish pie recipe.

Many thanks:j
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Le_Foot wrote: »
    Yes thats what I meant. Thanks Nikki, but could you tell me how to do it for future.:A

The Recipe Index has been posted by me, which means it's only me that can edit/add to it because people cant edit other peoples posts. Hence Mumzy asking me to add to it. ;)

I did it as an easy way for everyone to find all the wonderful recipes that get posted on this thread. But if I've missed a recipe on here that you'd like to see linked on there or if any of the links dont work let me know and I'll sort it out. :A

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    busy_mum wrote: »
    Please could someone post their fish pie recipe.

Fish Pie

Fish of your choice I use a mix of cod and salmon
    Potatoes, peeled & cubed
    Peas
    Butter/marge
    Corn flour (use plain if you dont have corn flour)
    Milk
    Grated cheese
    Boiled eggs, quartered (optional)
    1. Poach the fish in the milk. It doesn’t matter too much how you cook the fish - I poach the cod and microwave the salmon/ or you could cook all the fish in the oven gas4 for 20mins while the potatoes are boiling. Its up to you but poaching in the milk used for the sauce adds to the flavour.
    2. While the fish is cooking, boil & mash the potatoes.
    3. Reserve the milk for the sauce and flake the fish into your oven dish, adding some peas and the boiled eggs (if using) I think people add eggs when they are just using white fish but I'm not sure cos I dont add them myself
    4. Make a white sauce by melting about a heaped tbsp of butter in a pan, adding a heaped tbsp of flour and cooking off for a min Then gradually add the reserved milk, whisking all the time until thickened. You could add some grated cheese to make a cheese sauce and you can add herbs of your choice to the sauce. I use parsley.
    5. Pour this over the fish & peas and mix in thoroughly.
    6. Top with mashed potato and grated cheese.
    7. Bung in the oven (gas 7) for 20 mins or put it under the grill until the cheese has melted
    :A
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    SAV3R wrote: »
    Had quite a productive day, made 1 doz raspberry muffins, 1 doz strawberry muffins and 2 doz fairy cakes. Was going to post a piccie but couldn't work out how.....

Attempted Cornish pasties for tea, they weren't bad for a first go, the pastry stuck even though I greased well, there was also too much mix for the psatry. Recipe made 4, 1 left, not sure what to do, OH could have tomorrow for tea, or was wondering can I freeze, if so what do I need to do when using later, do I thaw then warm? Anyone know please?

Well done with all that cooking but I can feel the weight going on just reading your post :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Hey all, I found something in my indian cookbook that I thought was good. Take 1litre of milk bring to the boil and simmer for 5 mins.
    Pour it into a glass bowl and leave to cool for 40 mins until tepid.
    Take 3 tbsp out and mix with 2tbsp of natural yoghurt and then stir into the rest of the milk.
    Now this is the weird bit, put a tea cosy over the container and leave overnight. In the morning you will have some yoghurt...
    Yogurt will keep for 3 days, then just leave 2 tbsp to make your next lot...

Sounds good if you use a lot of yogurt...
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mornin all .............not that it's looking much like july out there! :cool:

am off to Mr M's this morning as soon as he opens to see if there are any whoopsies, then its back home to do some baking. its DD's 18th tomorrow (don't know how she can have got to 18 so quickly.....the years really have flown by ) i'm just making some fairy cakes, and a big chocolatey cake so she can have some candles!! she's having a party on friday, so there'll be more baking throughout the week!!

then i've promised to visit a friend who's just got a BM.......he's 78, and just lost his wife, so he's been coming round to visit as he has no family..............anyhoo, do you reckon he's our oldest convert to the MS ways? i'm going to show him how to make a loaf in it before he has a bash at it!! ;)

doesn't look like i'll get much washing done today, so i guess i'll just have to wake DD and DS with the hoover!! :rotfl: hope everyone has a good day xx
  • Pip-squeak_3
    Pip-squeak_3 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Hi
    First week over and spent £17.37. Quite pleased as that includes a box of wine marked down in Asda to £6.99 and just right for camping next weekend.

Allotment doing well and providing all veg and salad so using money to stock up on store cupboard items as they seem to be going up sooo fast.

Have a good week everyone
    Challenge 2 adults food and household.
    2009 £1214.37
    Target for 2010 £1250
  • Judellie
    Judellie Posts: 114 Forumite
    Just posting to update sig. Spent a total of £77.51 in various supermarkets over the last 4 days. Total spend now £97.51.

Jude xx
    GC June: £350/405.56
    GC July: £350 spent
    [STRIKE]£22[/STRIKE]99.51
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Mrs_Money_Penny Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Morning everyone.

A NSD yesterday and looking outside another one today. What a miserable day. Pouring with rain. I have loads of washing as the kids broke up yesterday for their summer holidays so thats a right pain. Have roast pork chops today for dinner tonight.
    Thanks Mandy-Moo-1 I will freeze some of those iced buns. Took some on the picnic yesterday and gave a load to a neighbour still have loads left.
    Have a good day everyone.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family