PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/2698073985_15f0a4ee6c.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/2698958594_d742813e08.jpg

This is an adapted version of Jamie Oliver recipe.....thank you Jamie for getting me back into HM bread making :)

You need (for 1 focaccia)
    1 tbsp active yeast
    good glug honey (or 2 tbsp sugar if no honey)
    200ml water (tepid)
    300g flour (I tend to use 2/3rd bread flour and 1/3rd plain flour)
    salt (enough to season)- I only use about 1/2 tsp tbh.
    • Dissolve the honey and yeast in half the water (in a large jug), and allow yeast to 'froth'
    • Add this mixture to the flour/salt (make a well in in centre and pour in) and mix.
    • Rinse out the jug with the rest of the tepid water and then add this to the flour, again mix well.
    • Knead dough for 5 mins, roll into a ball and put slits across. Cover and leave until doubled (in a warm place) for 1st proving.
    • In the meantime make a nice topping (I used basil/garlic/olive oil- basically a good handful of basil, one glove garlic, some lemon juice and a good big glug or two of olive oil all processed together).
    • Once it has doubled knead again for 5 mins, shape onto a round tray making it about 1/2 inch thick. Spread topping across and make finger marks on it. Then leave until it doubles in thickness (2nd proving).
    • Cook at 200-220 for 10-15 min depending on your oven. Drizzle olive oil on top once its out of the oven.
    • Ready to eat hot or cold.
    We had ours with gnocchi.
    Mmmmmmmmmmm.
    Very easy and very yummy :rolleyes:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hiya guys, still trying to catch up on posts, I'll get there in the end:D
    Now I hope this doesn't upset anyone but Have at last decided to get a BM and have no idea what sort to get, I bet you've all been asked loads of time for advice but please bare with me,:o any help would be greatly appreciated:confused:
    Most of you know I'm a live-in-carer so my budget is set at work by the Clients, but fro the 28th - 4th I have a week off and will be back in my flat with OH DS, Birthday mum who's visiting myself and my tiny 16yr old yorkie. :rotfl: what, fun.
    This means for the 1st wk of aug challenge, I will have no control over spends at work:eek: :eek: :eek: and will have the extra costs at home, is it allowed to budget separately at home as a hols budget, as I'm confused, is it a hol or isn't it:eek: :eek: :eek: help, I want to do it right as july 1st month and I will come in under budget. IYKWIM

Sorry for the long post, will get back when I've caught up, thanks guys, it's great to have peeps to run your thoughts past, hugs to one and all xx
    HWGA

Managed to catch up on thread at last, can anyone answer my earlier questions please, I would be very greatful x:confused:
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Now I hope this doesn't upset anyone but Have at last decided to get a BM and have no idea what sort to get, I bet you've all been asked loads of time for advice but please bare with me,:o any help would be greatly appreciated:confused:
    Most of you know I'm a live-in-carer so my budget is set at work by the Clients, but fro the 28th - 4th I have a week off and will be back in my flat with OH DS, Birthday mum who's visiting myself and my tiny 16yr old yorkie. :rotfl: what, fun.
    This means for the 1st wk of aug challenge, I will have no control over spends at work:eek: :eek: :eek: and will have the extra costs at home, is it allowed to budget separately at home as a hols budget, as I'm confused, is it a hol or isn't it:eek: :eek: :eek: help, I want to do it right as july 1st month and I will come in under budget. IYKWIM

Managed to catch up on thread at last, can anyone answer my earlier questions please, I would be very greatful x:confused:

Hello hwga :-)

I have a Millers Choice BM - it's ok is the best I can say about it! I prefer totally handmade bread, but it has it's uses. However it makes a tall, square bottomed loaf

I think quite a lot of people like Panasonic BMs - I'm guessing that's what Panny's are! There are even a couple of threads on MSE devoted to them! They are around £70, I believe (?)

Check your local freecycle - that's where I got mine from. Try a wanted on there. I'd say get a freebie one or loan of one first if you can at all (freebie from freecycle being particularly MSE!) in case you don't take to it, iykwim. Otherwise it's a lot of money to spend out. Ooh - the other place - ebay - search for BMs within a 10 mile location from you and then you can often collect, as postage is quite a lot due to weight - you can regularly get ones on there used less than half a doz times, even unused unwanted gifts if you're lucky!

GC budgets are what you want them to be. Personally in your case I'd make the first week of Aug a holiday budget, as it is so different to the norm for you - and then reduce the rest of the month accordingly (although I have a feeelng you have a weekly budget, rather than monthly, in which case ignore that bit!)

I think you're doing a fab job on a not very big at all budget!:T :T

Gt
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there KAAT_LADY

caraway seeds.... have a slightly aniseed flavour -just dashed to the kitchen and chomped a few to make sure i was right :p ..its strange because i don't like aniseed at all -but like these in bread :confused:
    Whacking it in the bread machine is fine -i used to use mine to mix my dough -i just added the seeds right near the end of kneading.
    My box is an airtight long thin box i got that came with a big loaf tin inside.. its brilliant, but for the bigger white loaves that "mushroom" i struggle to get the lid on :rolleyes:
    To help keep it fresher for longer you can always add a spoon of oil of spoon of marge/butter (i find oil made the loaves more dense) ..but i don't use anything ...trying to save eating empty cals ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Herewegoagain
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks Greent, thats very helpful, just signed up with freecycle so will go and look, can't wait to have a go. OH always used to make bread,by hand, but now wants to try BM as well.
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    evenin all :wave:

well i was really naughty today :rolleyes: i took my gran shopping this morn to M&S and she gave me £4 towards the meal-for-2-for-£10. i would NEVER be this extravagant as i think M&S is hugely overpriced, but as it only really cost me £6 i REALLY needed the chocolate mousse things that were in the offer, and here's the naughty bit...... i scoffed 'em both with a cup of coffee at lunchtime :D

am off to update my sig quick before DS15 or DD18 reads this over my shoulder, and find out what a piglet i've been!!!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks Greent, thats very helpful, just signed up with freecycle so will go and look, can't wait to have a go. OH always used to make bread,by hand, but now wants to try BM as well.

Great stuff! Freecycle is FAB! Not just for getting stuff, but for getting rid of stuff too - we've given more than we've got, but it has kept stuff out of the landfill/ saved trips to tip/ recycling centres. I've made real friends from there too (ie ones I actually meet up with, not just virtual friends:D )

You would be surprised what peopel give away, and a wanted is often worth a punt as people will think 'oh yes, I've got one of those lurking in the attic/ shed/ garage' etc but might otherwise not have actually put it on as an actual offered.

Onto GC now:D : I am SO close to budget - and need frut juices, cucumber, red & blue milks at a minimum. Might get DH to go to shop, as if I do I am more likely to pick up stuff on offer - and not only do I want to come in under budget if poss, but we have no room left to put any more things!:rotfl: :rotfl:

Gt
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

hi hwga

I have one here I am putting on freecycle you could have that if we lived closer
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• ANY_CHANCE
    ANY_CHANCE Posts: 825 Forumite
    ANY_CHANCE wrote: »
    Hi
    i havent been here for a while but i need to take up the challenge

I know its the wrong time but if i get going now then ill be prepared for next month

this week went shopping at Mr M last sunday spent 60.00 (2 adults 1 teenager 14 yrs who is growing and taller than me im 5.8 and an 8 yr old and 5 yr old they all eat loads and are tall ;) )

so far we have had

sausage casserole and green beans and rice
    tuna pasta bake ( tuna pasta tinned toms baked beans cheese)
    chicken drum sticks potato cabbage

still have in fridge

mince

sausages

corned beef

cheese

potatoes

eggs

rissoto rice

We had omlette on wed tonight its corned beef hash

my OH started to cook b4 i got home he put onions carrots mushrooms and the corned beef in a pan now he is boiling it he said he put a stock cube in as well
    and making mash to go on top

surely he should be doing something different
    I thought cook the onions first then mix with corned beef tomatoes and baked beans and layer in a dish then put mash on top then cheese (i wouldnt have put in the carrot or mushroom)

What do you think? how do you cook corned beef hash?
    “most people give up just as they are about to achieve success”
    If you think you are going through hell keep going - Sir Winston Churchill
    If You Can't Change It, Change the Way You Think About It.
    SW, 13st5lb, -4 1/2, -1,(12st13.5lbs)
  • Herewegoagain
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    KAAT_LADY wrote: »
    hi hwga

I have one here I am putting on freecycle you could have that if we lived closer
    ow KL that is so nice of you,never mind, the thought was there, you don't know half of whats in things now a days and I want to be as MSE as poss:A xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure