New Post Advanced Search

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 304.7K views

Replies

• JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So far this month I'm not doing too badly. I must say I'm finding it much, much easier budgeting weekly. When I was temping I was paid weekly which I much preferred to monthly pay.

I spent a tiny bit today, but do have some left for buying fruit and veg when there is too much week left after it's all been eaten. I've started doing a big shop on a Thursday, but making sure that I keep enough by. Fingers crossed I will actually be within budget (or at least not so embarassingly over that I daren't announce it like last month :rotfl::rotfl:)

• shala_mooshala_moo Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,:wave:

Kaat_Lady - the caulis look lovely...

Just updating my sig.. have only £9.80 left but that is only till Friday when i get paid and we don't need anything else - hopefully if i can keep my money in my pocket I should come under budget again this month... Amazing really because i've stocked up on enough cat food to last 6 months!!

Have been baking today - Naan breads, Mrs M's tortillas, buttermilk pancakes(from the butter i made the other week) and a loaf of wholemeal.. feeling very pleased with myself as they are all lovely - thanks to everyone who posted the recipes :D and OH is loving all the food he's geting!

You guys are such an inspiration... when i stand in the supermarkets these days i look at everything and think "well i know theres a recipe to make that on GC boards so i'm won't be pay £2 for it!!"

Moo x
    Actual Mortgage = [STRIKE]£166,050[/STRIKE]£94,745.85
    Mortgage Offset % = 47.77%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = [STRIKE]Dec 2036[/STRIKE]Apr 2024
    Mortgage Neutral position = £49,012.69 outstanding
  • Miss~fitMiss~fit Forumite
    74 posts
    Hello :D

I've been lurking here for a while and have decided to bite the bullet and join in next month ( needs must:o )
    You all do so well and i hope i can learn from you and follow in your footsteps.
    See you all next month, and keep up the excellent work:T
    Veni, Vidi, Visa. I came, I saw, I shopped:rolleyes:
  • Have some left over garlic bread which I'll save for tomorrows pasta and pesto at tea time.

Dinner will be jacket potatoes with bolognese/beans/cheese/tuna.

Monday - Bacon,Egg,Beans and chips

Busy crossing off meal planner and freezer list like a dervish awaiting space like my life depends upon it.....

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Miss~fit wrote: »
    Hello :D

I've been lurking here for a while and have decided to bite the bullet and join in next month ( needs must:o )
    You all do so well and i hope i can learn from you and follow in your footsteps.
    See you all next month, and keep up the excellent work:T
    Welcome welcome welcome, I am fairly new in this thread too and think it is great, morale support, ideas and great banter all thrown in :rotfl:
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • wmfwmf Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    £18.02 in Morrisons but that included £7 for OH's beer. Don't usually count that but I've probably missed something off this month so will include it. Got 50p sausages and 50p rolls but the chicken was WELL gone by the time I was there.
    We have quite a few things in the freezer so will only need bread and fruit this week. Then on count down to our mini Scotland trip the following weekend. Decided the grocery budget stops on July 25 this month so we should make it ok
    Keep going everyone! I'm off to read back through this thread for inspiration
    W
    ps has anyone elsethe onion soup recipe weezl (sp?) has on her 50p thread? Sounds good and I have a bag of organic onions biggrin.gif
  • shezzashezza Forumite
    127 posts
    Not feeling to well today, I wish the world would just stop wobbling (oh no that's me ;)), however it has helped me not spend too much today, after having a couple of NSD's I needed bread, so OH drove me into town and I managed to go to the scoop shop and a quick stop into Mr T's for bread, then I had had enough.

I hope to stop wobbling enough tomorrow to have a go at the weetabix cake that everyone has been raving about, and make some muffins or cookies as OH has been looking for biscuits today as last Sunday's baking is all gone.

• KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening everybody

Been to the bottom of the freezer and found mint choc chip ice cream and raspberry ripple so we are defrosting them and mixing them up and then eating it itd quite cold

no need to make dinner now
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hiya den, that's what I want to do to, but don't know where freecycle is, that's a great idea, I was going to look in the local paper but your idea is more mse. My freezer needs defrosting but I keep filling it with HM things doh:rotfl: :rotfl:

Freecycle is one of the Yahoo groups and it's a really great place to get rid of stuff you no longer want or get something that you need. This is the link to my local group, but you will have to search for your own - hope this helps though.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/basildon_freecycle/
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • mandy_moo_1mandy_moo_1 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    just found 5 minutes to pop in and update my spends

been feeling really run down and tired these last couple of days, so i haven't been in the mood for baking..........mind you i haven't felt like eating either so i haven't had to spend much!! don't know what's wrong with me, but i can't sleep past 5am no matter what time i go to bed..........sorry, just feelin a bit sorry for myself :o

gonna have to pull myself together i know so i'll have a read thru all the posts i've missed these last couple of days and see if i can find some motivation from you all :rolleyes: