mothers day gift for mam with terminal cancer

Options
Any ideas - I have no idea where to start. Something that says that she means the world to me and to thank her for all the opportunities she has gave me in life... anybody had to deal with this situation before and thought of something great, something different?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

I have updated the last page with photos of what I eventually made...

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Yes - it's really hard :grouphug:

How about a photo album of you & siblings from baby to adults? Or one of her & her parents & siblings? I did both for my mum the Christmas & Mothers Day before she died, and she thought they were great, and it gave me & my brothers an excuse to laugh at all our baby photos again :)
  • RoxieW
    RoxieW Posts: 3,016 Forumite
    Options
    oh hon - big hugs to you.

How well is she feeling? Would something you can do together mean more than a gift - a chance to spend quality time together such as a spa weekend or a trip somewhere she's always wanted to go?
    MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!:j
    £10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
    Weekly.
    155/200
    "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    I think the photo album is a lovely idea...........it'll give your mum some lovely memories and she can re-live some of the happier times with you.
    My mum is very poorly and I don't think will be aware of much this year otherwise I might have done something like that for her.........she'd have loved it I know.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear this.
    I also agree about photo album but wonder if you could add a 'memory' box or jar. You write about special times - maybe a trip tp a park when you were little, what you remember about your mum - like a dress you always loved her wearing - basically little bits of paper or card with a message about times you remember.
    Thinking of you
    W
  • tpsjrm
    tpsjrm Posts: 408 Forumite
    Options
    scattymam1 wrote: »
    Any ideas - I have no idea where to start. Something that says that she means the world to me and to thank her for all the opportunities she has gave me in life... anybody had to deal with this situation before and thought of something great, something different?

Hi sweetie, terrible time I know having gone through it. Have you got a tape recorder with a microphone? Get your mum to talk about her life and all the things she wants to remember. Where she was born, her schoolfriends, her parents and grandparents, her first job, meeting your Dad, you being born etc. Feed her the questions and let her ramble. You can stretch it out over several sessions and it will give her something to focus on and you to remember and listen to later.

Hugs.
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest you make a photo album off you mums life .Starting from she was a child and working through to present day .

I know someone who did this and put it on DVD
  • Nicifer_noonoo
    Options
    My thoughts are with you at this terrible time!

You could do a little pamper package for her, a back massage, manicure, anything you can think of. The touch of someone you love can be one of the best gifts ever, especially when you're ill - I've done some volunteer work with therapies in a Hospice before, the patients really appreciate the sense of someone elses touch.
  • scattymam1
    scattymam1 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    Options
    Lovely ideas - all of them. Keep them coming.

My dad has mentioned going to center parcs in the lakes as it is her fave place in the world with the family just for a short break and I know they do spa treatments so I may get her one to surprise her with. However she is very weak at the moment from the chemo she was having half doses and even that was too strong for her and it hasn't worked anyway her tumors are growing rapidly. She has fought various cancers for nearly five years now. So we are now looking at improving her quality of life for the here and now.

I love the memory box/jar idea - I will def. do this as when she has gone it is something I can keep and show to my little girl. It is something I can be doing now to keep myself busy.

There are a lot of kind people among MSE and I thank you all for your empathy.
  • mary43
    mary43 Posts: 5,845 Forumite
    Options
    I like the idea of recording your Mum telling you all about her childhood, growing up etc. This sort of thing is done at the care home where my Mum is only it's written down for them by the staff.
    Older folk do seem to love looking back and the memories they have are amazing. I don't know the age of your Mum but something like this could really get her interests focused.
    Best of luck whatever you do and god bless to Mum x
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I suggest you get a photo taken of you and your mum, or a family group. Although I've got seperate pictures I've not got one of us together.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure