MSE News: NatWest and RBS wages, benefits and other payments 'missing'

Natwest, RBS, Coutts and Ulster have admitted a number of customer payments are 'missing'...
Read the full story:

NatWest and RBS wages, benefits and other payments 'missing'

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not an echo of the 2012 problem, it's an entirely different, and considerably less significant, temporary issue.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This bank is too big and should be split up to limit the affect of problems on so many people.
    As they own Coutts Bank, the Queens bank, one wonders if Her Majesty missed out on her pension payments ??

COMPLETE JOKE
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Third time now in as many years. Really customers can't complain - if they haven't switched to a competitor after having the same issue time after time after time, it's their own fault really. Shouldn't reward incompetent banks with your custom.
    poppy10
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm pleasantly surprised at how little of the article is dedicated to HOW TO SCREAM REALLY LOUDLY ABOUT WANTING COMPENSATION compared to earlier articles on the same topic.
  • Sinhanada
    Sinhanada Posts: 497 Forumite
    So they have had three completely separate issues - and they are very quick at resolving the financial hardships that people go through. I for one will continue to bank with Natwest and am very happy with the service I get...

I was badly affected with the first issue, slightly inconvenienced with the second and not affected at all by today's.
  • beamerguy
    Sinhanada wrote: »
    So they have had three completely separate issues - and they are very quick at resolving the financial hardships that people go through. I for one will continue to bank with Natwest and am very happy with the service I get...

I was badly affected with the first issue, slightly inconvenienced with the second and not affected at all by today's.

BUT, 600,000 were ???? :wall:
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It might take until the weekend to process the missing payments so it seems.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • keithyno.1
    keithyno.1 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 June 2015 at 2:49PM
    This bank really is a joke!!

I worked for RBS back in 2012 when the last major incident happened, it was a nightmare for the poor customer-facing staff and those in call centres, who had to deal with all the flak while the top bosses hid away in their posh offices in London & Edinburgh.

The trouble is, the main computer system that is the engine room, if you like, for the running of all accounts, including the nightly processing of payments, is simply known in the bank as 'Back Office.' It's an old, creaking COBALT system which was first introduced in the 1970's (honestly!) and which essentially has never been majorly overhauled and updated.

The truth is, it should have been binned many years ago, and a completely new system worthy of the 21st century (at least) designed and installed. But all they've done for years is keep patching it up, and placing greater and greater demands on it - all customers who use online and mobile banking for the day-to-day running of their account, well every change you make, such as making a payment, transferring money between accounts, setting up a standing order, cancelling a Direct Debit etc, well it all ultimately feeds through to Back Office which is where the actual changes to the account take place.

They've supposedly spent 'hundreds of millions' on their systems since the last major outage in 2012, not to mention being fined £56 million by the regulators, but this stuff keeps happening TIME AND TIME again.

The only way they'll REALLY learn is when RBS, Natwest and Ulster Bank customers start to switch to other banks in their thousands...then they might, just MIGHT, really make an effort to sort it all out once and for all.

So, my advice is to any customer of RBS, Natwest and Ulster Bank is SWITCH NOW - you can't lose, there are LOADS better deals for current account holders who switch to the likes of Santander, TSB and First Direct..Martin outlines them nearly every week in his email.

DO IT NOW - SWITCH!!!!
  • beamerguy
    stclair wrote: »

They are an incompetent bank, nothing really has changed since the days of Fred Goodwin, what will the next wheeze be ??
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    stclair wrote: »

Have they said which weekend?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport