What's the stupidest thing you've ever spent money on?

Options
FireWyrm
FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
edited 8 July 2014 at 4:44PM in Debt-free wannabe
OK, so we all understand about budgeting and watching those pennies, but what about before you light bulb moment. What did you spend money on back then that you now look at and think..."what was I thinking, did I get hit with a sack full of stupid for that dumb move or what?"

I'll start...

I was unpacking the car one afternoon when a bloke drove up in a blue van and beckoned me over. Thinking he was lost, I went to talk to him. He told me that he had been turned away from a customer and he had a brand spanking new 3 piece white leather suite in the back of the van and would I like it...only £300.

Yup...I fell for it. Wasnt even real leather and we sure as hell couldnt really afford that £300. I had to tap every source and raid every piggy bank to get that money.

Lesson learned : greed makes common sense go right out the window.

Bought a turnkey website to do dropshipping off ebay for £1500. Was assured I would make the money back in the first year etc etc.

Never made a penny.

Lesson learned : no one makes money out of drop shipping and really, that greed thing is going to be my undoing.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
My other best friend is a filofax.
Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the second one is more understandable, the first....oldest scam in the book!
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    the second one is more understandable, the first....oldest scam in the book!

In my defense, I was 22 and very naive back then. I mean painfully unworldly.

I was on a trip to Portsmouth once. I spotted a sign for a 'submarine cable' and inquired of my then boyfriend if that was where the submarines plugged their generators in. I suspect he married me just to keep me out of trouble back then.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • moohound
    moohound Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    six prams!!!!!!!!!

I only have one kid by the way :)
    ISA £1675 :DMiniMoohound savings £3685.86 :T Plus £3800 CTF :)
    'MrMoneyMuststache' my new hero, Martin Lewis my long time hero
    Poacher turned Gamekeeper
    Roadkill rebel No 52 Aug £1.34p Sept 24p Oct 5p Nov 5p Sealed pot Challenge No 403 £176.66(2014) :staradmin NOV NST No 20
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,972 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Spent £1500 on a state of the art RC petrol buggy, first time out caused over £300 of damage to it !!!

Sold it on ebay few days later for £800.

Maths were never my strong point lol !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • HeavyMetalFan
    Options
    Football season ticket.

I've made this mistake fifteen times now.
  • roobee13
    roobee13 Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    I spent about £120 on a 'thigh master' machine. Used it twice, then it sat in the spare room for 2 years gathering dust before I sold it at a boot sale for a tenner!!

So I ended up skint and still with chubby thighs... :(
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Exercise bike, abdo exerciser, yoga mat, etc
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 8lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 42.4% through my pb challenge.
  • Bublin1
    Bublin1 Posts: 724 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mary Kay products (similar to Avon) I was drawn in with their promises of me making huge amounts of money, getting a huge client base and possibly even be given a car. This was about 10 years ago.

I humilated myself by approaching complete strangers in shopping centres, had 3 clients - 2 of which were friends who were buying stuff to do me a favour and 1 woman made me sit in her house for 2 hours, sampling loads of products, made a huge order then disappeared off the face of the earth.

I can't remember how much I spent but it was around £200 on products that were my demos. Unopened ones could be sold back for 25% less.

A load of carp looool
    Dave Ramsey Fan[/COLOR]
  • maganan
    maganan Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just before my real LBM I used credit card cash withdrawals to get the money together to update my car!

What a d!ck he@d I know but I couldn't afford the service/MoT/tax and this ones a cheaper to run version of the previous ;) Still if I hadn't I'd now be debt free :( but with a knackered car!

Some days I hate myself for doing it some days I'm glad I did this one does 700+ miles to a 60 litre tank :)

Don't think I'll ever reconcile that stupid spend one way or the other ;)

The rest was being so skint shopping on a cc and thinking oh whatever and buying stupidly unnecessary items like DVDs as a "treat" for the kids........bet they'd rather I was now debt free

Kate x
    Final no going back LBM 20/12/10
    Debt Jan 2011 [STRIKE]£28217.65[/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE] DMP start 01/02/11 -[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    Debt free[STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]26 September 2014 :):beer:
    £2 Savers Club - 2012 no 105 2012 Sealed pot challenge no 1282 DMP mutual support thread No 405
    Proud to HAVE dealt with my debts:j
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gambling :(

MB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing