Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 516
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 4th Oct 17, 2:33 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    So we went to the meet the midwife and I think it's helped Mr TSG to feel more comfortable about the home birth. I was also (mistakenly) referred for a growth scan so we got to see our boy again and he's perfectly fine. Next midwife appointment is Monday at 32 weeks and we've got an antenatal class on the 21st which is a full day and, I think, the only one we get.

I've been a bit down lately over a mix of silly things. In-laws butting in re names, feeling like we should have everything all sorted all ready and we're not really anywhere near. I keep being asked if we're all sorted and excited and I'm not. Feels like I'm not very good at mothering and he's not even here yet! Hey ho, this too shall pass.

I tried the pillow between the legs too, and my hips hurt more in the morning than when I sleep without it so I gave up on that one quite quickly.

6 weeks 2 days and about 3 hours to maternity leave...
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2017 #85 £2633.7/£2500 12K IN 17 #85 £5500/£12000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • dramarama
    • By dramarama 5th Oct 17, 8:58 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 1,328 Thanks
    dramarama
    Evening everyone. Hope you're all well. Exciting to hear all that is going on. I have a couple of weeks left at work, am taking some leave before starting maternity leave...all getting a bit real now!

Starting NCT classes at the weekend, hoping to make some friends. I thought I would naturally know what to do but I must admit it is a bit scary and overwhelming to be having baby soon....is anyone ever really ready?!

We've bought a few bits, really lucky to have had friends & family give us some clothes, baby furniture etc. I am also collecting Boots points to get some other bits we will need.

Funny how random strangers ask me about when the baby is due, anyone else having this?

Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017

Frugal & thrifty as much as possible.
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 6th Oct 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 3,260 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Hi everyone, not sure I've posted on this thread before but I've been stalking you all I'm due on 8th Dec so I'm 31 weeks today; I officially start Mat Leave on 1st Dec but have 5 days holiday to use up so not sure whether I'll finish a week early or do 4 day weeks in November... still trying to find a Mat cover for me - hopefully found the right person this week, just got to secure the contract with her then I can start to hand things over a bit!

Our antenatal class is a 2hr session on a Sat morning and that's all we get... got a breastfeeding thing in a couple of weeks too, and the HV is on her way over right now to do an "introductory visit". No idea about visiting the hospital before the birth, does that happen in every area?

We've got most things now, just need to get the cot from my colleague (who lives in London so not as simple as it sounds!!!) but we won't be using it straight away so I'm not in a massive rush to sort it out, and buy a few bits and pieces

We signed up for the Amazon Baby Box offer and just bought loads of baby wipes to qualify. Figured not to buy too many nappies until we know what size he'll be but wipes are always going to be useful... we ended up with about 50 packs

Hope you're all doing well? Touch wood I've been annoyingly pain free and healthy throughout so far - hubby even says my emotions are more stable than when we were TTC

Have a good weekend everyone xx
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 6th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    I haven't suffered too much with pregnancy symptoms. No heartburn or acid reflux, but I do have achy hands and my pelvis still hurts. Have had a few instances of crying for no particular reason but not too bad, thankfully!

It occurred to me today that I haven't had the whooping cough or flu jabs yet. A quick google says it should be done between 16 and 32 weeks and I'm 32 weeks on Monday...no-one had mentioned it since my booking appointment and I had assumed someone would tell me when I should have it. I've called the GP and got it booked for next week now. I've not heard anything about a Health Visitor either, except my midwife saying they'll come round and introduce themselves. Who arranges that? I feel like information has been a bit hit and miss with my care...
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 6th Oct 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 3,260 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Twentysomethinggirl, my GP surgery called me to book my flu jab when they made it available a few weeks ago, and my whooping cough was booked during my 16wk appt to be done just before my 24wk midwife appt. I don't know if that's normal though - my midwife is really on the ball (despite being about 12 )

My HV seemed nice - not the dragon I'd been told to expect! My midwife mentioned at my 28wk that they would be in touch and I got a letter last wknd saying they were coming today - so not much notice really! I think your midwife refers you, so maybe chase it up with her?
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 6th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    saver-j
    Thanks for the recommendation firebird, I will check the app out.

Whizzybee I see where you're coming from about feeling down about the exercise, doing couch to 5k when you're ready after is a great idea as it will help ensure you don't push yourself too hard too soon. And congrats on running the marathon last year, an amazing feat!

Sorry to hear you've been feeling down TSG, hope you're managing to stand your ground re names. Don't worry about not having everything sorted. We're still having some work done to the house that won't be finished until mid next week! I got my OH to get some stuff out of it last weekend so we could build the crib on Sunday and pack my hospital bag, and I'm 6 weeks ahead of you! I only started to feel a bit excited this week after finishing work, before then it all felt a bit too much I think.

My hips are getting worse and really affecting my sleep, so I'm really glad I'm not working now. I had a good night the other night and thought I'd cracked it with a nest like pillow situation, but the last 2 have been worse so no idea what actually helped.

dramarama I agree I don't think you can ever be really ready. Hope you enjoy the NCT classes. I kind of wish I'd signed up as I am worried about not having friends nearby with children but the nearest ones to me just seemed too far and I'd have struggled to meet up if the other people came from that area anyway. I have found some postnatal ones nearer that I might sign up to if I don't meet people more locally in other ways. And yes, I've had random people asking when I'm due too.

Hi Roz, welcome! I'll add you to the list in a sec...

It really does seem to vary from area to area as to what you get antenatally. Our classes were a Saturday and Sunday morning, including hospital tour, but I think you could ring up and ask for a tour separately if you couldn't do the classes.

I had to organise my own whooping cough and flu jabs, though my midwife did tell me I'd need to arrange it. NHS website says you can have it anytime up until you go into labour, so you should be fine next week TSG, I'm only having my flu jab next week as that was the earliest they could offer me.

My midwife did a referral to HV, and then I just got sent a letter saying when they were coming, like Roz it was very short notice, but I think they came when I was about 35 weeks.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 6th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    saver-j
    Due Date List
    1. Keekee - 27th September
    2. Pink_Giraffe
    3. saver-j - 22nd October
    4. whizzybee - 15th November
    5. dramarama - 27th November
    6. TwentySomethingGirl - 4th December
    7. Timeflies - 6th December
    8. Roz_V - 8th December
    9. alipops1986 - 10th January 2018

When you see this post do your pelvic floor exercises

Hospital Bag List here
    Supplement List and Dosage here

***BIRTH LIST*** - Within the last month or so

Sexymouse - Benjamin Logan - 11th February - 7lb 4oz
    Big5 - Harrison Michael - 16th February - 7lb 12oz
    Cuidadosa - - 18th March - 3lb 7oz; 4lb 5oz - awaiting names
    cats2012 - - Clara Grace - 21st March - 5lb 9oz
    Clarabell1984 - - Corran - 11th April - 7lb
    Vanilla - - Austin - 27th May - 8lb 5oz
    Penguingirl - - Baby J - 2nd June
    - 8lb 11.5oz
    Ellesbellesxxx - 29th May? (x2)
    April87 - - Logan - 11th June 7.5lbs
    Sweetbabu -
    - Jack - 14th June 9lbs 4oz
    Snowscreamer -
    - Jasmine Grace - 19th June
    Arbrighton - - Harry - 24th June
    fuzzipeg - Corinne Sharon - 28th June 7lb 15oz
    Firebird082 -
    Zoe Elizabeth - 29th June 8lb 14oz
    Newthrift -
    - Jacob - 5th July 7lb 4oz

PROBABLY GIVEN BIRTH BUT TOO WORN OUT TO LOG ON TO LIST
    [Allow 2 weeks after EDD before transferring to this list (Max 6 weeks)]

moreofthegoodstuff - 31st August

CONTRACTION MASTER TIMER

Please post your birth stories here when you have time/energy
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 6th Oct 17, 9:01 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    whizzybee
    I'm awaiting my flu jab, my gp surgery is overwhelmed ATM so I'm not even sure I'll get it in time. I had to go for another growth scan today and they aren't happy with the growth so going back again in 2 weeks,2 days after I go for my 36 week appt and birth centre tour. The antenatal classes for me are every thu for five weeks with one post natally. Free ones by the local trust we can't afford the nct ones ATM. They are good

Mentally I've slipped over the past couple of days I slept 3 hours last night then went for the scan which has left me worried despite still measuring within the curve. Now I'm just paranoid about movements and its getting harder to face work especially knowing I still have 3 weeks to go.

I'm now a bit concerned that noone has mentioned health visitors to me nor arranged any visits and I'm 34 weeks + 2 esp seeing most people have had their visit in my antenatal class.

And welcome roz I just spoke to my midwife this week to organise my hospital tour so combined with my 36wk appt. But because its a smaller birth centre for low risk births it is slightly different to the bigger one near me which seems to have organised groups on tours most sat mornings. They have birth centre, labour ward, facilities for c sections etc whereas my choice doesn't. Any complications and I would be emergency transferred

TSG I've seen conflicting literature on whooping cough, sure one source said you could have it up to 38 week. Flu you can have up to birth (again, so the lit says). I just booked myself in with the surgery

Saver-j just thankful for my pillow it does help me but I've been doing yoga throughout as well which I think has helped. Don't know if you want to try searching for some hip stretches on google or YouTube if they might help?

Dramarama yes yes! I think its because my bump is so prominent now as well. And despite reading, classes, googling... I still don't feel ready!

Sorry my reply is a bit all over the place - going to have to get used to this sleep deprivation thingy!
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 10th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Whizzy - you're a couple of weeks ahead of me but the only mention I've had of health visitors is from the midwife asking if they've been in touch, and that sometimes they do home visits before birth and introduce themselves and sometimes they don't. If they are referred by (or anything to with) the GP I won't hold my breath for it!
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 11th Oct 17, 4:05 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    whizzybee
    Thanks TSG it sounds like it depends on the area. I can always ask in the antenatal class tomorrow or my next midwife appt.

35 weeks today, feels as if baby has reached the stretching stage rather than kicking or punching guess there isn't enough room! Also for those wanting to do some more shopping, tescos baby club event started today (runs for 2 weeks). Plus if you are a member of the baby club, you can claim a free tea or coffee from their cafe. I haven't checked it out yet, I will tonight whilst I begin packing my hospital bag... Eek!
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 15th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Hi everyone, I haven't posted for a while. I've been very unwell with pregnancy diabetes and it seems to be a part time job doing all the blood tests, tablets, injections, attending the clinics and getting to the pharmacy all the time - they all know me there!

I'm having to have baby a 38 weeks or before due to the diabetes, so I've brought forward my mat leave and only have 9 more days at work

Dramarama, yes it's funny how people ask your due date - I then feel compelled to explain that I know I'll give birth before then... I'm sure the random people that ask really don't care, it's just a standard follow up question like asking have you set a date when they find out you're engaged, they don't really care, it's just small talk!

That's great you've finished work now saver-j - are you enjoying your leave? Big list of things to do? I'm ticking a few things off mine. Just decorated baby's room, so will sort out furniture next.

Saver-j and twentysomething girl - have you tried a question mark shaped pillow? I have the dream genie and it's been brilliant. I was seeing a physio for lower back pain, but it's been fine since I've had the pillow, I never wake up in pain now.

whizzybee - I agree with you about some of the tat marketed as baby products! We're not buying much second time around. Although I have a bit of a thing for beautiful baby clothes
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 16th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    saver-j
    Hey all,

Whizzybee hope you're in a better place, lack of sleep does not help, so hope that's improved, though so many people have told me it's preparation... I agree it's hard not to worry about movements, but if you are worried don't hesitate to go in and get monitored. Hope things are ok with your next growth scan too.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell Timeflies, hope you're getting the diabetes under control. The appointments do sound very time consuming.

I have had quite a big to do list, but it's been slow progress as I just can't do things as fast as I would have done pre-pregnancy. Everything that had to be done has been and so now it's just some would be nice to get done, sorting out, type things that are left. Among just getting some rest in too.

I have been using one of those pillows and doing yoga since I was about 5 months. Funnily enough my hip pain has gone again. I don't know what made it so unbearable for a couple of weeks, whether I had a burst of relaxin, or just got something out of alignment I don't now, but the last week or so it's all settled down.

Now I'm thoroughly on countdown, I wish they didn't give you a due date, but a due fortnight or something, as as much as I'm trying not to focus on next weekend now, it's impossible not to.
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 16th Oct 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 3,260 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Sorry to hear you've not been well Timeflies

My midwife told me at my 32wk appt that she's moving areas and I'll meet my new midwife at the 34wk appt next week... I'm gutted - she was really lovely and I don't want to change so close to my due date!

My maternity cover started today so once she's up to speed on the company etc I can start handing a few bits over to her. I've got this week and next as full weeks, then I've booked every Wednesday off until I finish at end of Nov to break it up a bit. Just a few bits and pieces left to get now...

*TMI Alert* I had to make an emergency trip to the supermarket for breast pads today as I seem to have suddenly started leaking isn't pregnancy glamorous eh?!?!

Hope everyone else is keeping well, and that you're not kept waiting too much longer saver-j!
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 17th Oct 17, 9:44 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    whizzybee
    36 weeks tomorrow, and touring the birth centre, health visitor coming thu and growth scan fri so I have a packed week! Put in what I hope to be the final order for baby bits to mothercare this weekend, including mattresses for the crib and moses basket. Still the pram to pick up and maybe one more load of washing. Organised baby clothes and bedding into boxes, 3/4 packed my hospital bag so I feel fairly on it preparation wise! Hubby has been doing a fair amount of diy - none of it is desparately needed for when baby arrives but its easier to do it now than when we are massively sleep deprived in a few weeks time.

Roz - me too! Ive been leaking now for about 3-4 weeks, especially my right breast but its only in bed so when I lie and put pressure on it, out it comes! I have seen about 4-5 different midwifes over the past few weeks that Im losing track. My original one went on maternity at the beginning of september so I saw two different ones after that before seeing the one now - but I keep seeing different ones in hospital because of the growth scans. Plus there are the student midwives as well!

saver-j - much better thank you, sleep is a bit tricky still but I think I am more used to it. Because I have a maternity appointment on each day wed-fri (including the health visitor, finally!), I asked to squeeze in some annual leave rather than trying to work from home, which was granted so I have the next few days off, then just one more week at work. Next growth scan is friday so I am hoping baby has had a bit of a growth spurt.

Timeflies - sorry to hear you haven't been well, but it sounds like you are being looked after. I am on countdown mode, only today and five days of work left (as Im off rest of this week)!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,436Posts Today

6,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin