The DFW baking and sweet treats club

Options
cottage_retreatist
cottage_retreatist Posts: 844 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 29 October 2013 at 3:07PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hello everyone!

So Wegle and HOK3Y and myself have noticed that a lot of people have been feeling less than motivated about the debt-busting recently - just due to pressures, it seeming to take forever or maybe the encroaching darkness because winter is coming! :)

But we know what makes it all seem ok! Sweet, delicious cake!! So we thought about making a thread where we could post up our baking creations which we can use to encourage each other to distract ourselves from the battle to be debt free for a while and encourage each other to have NSDs by using recipes that maybe don't use butter or don't use eggs or use crazy ingredients like vinegar or courgette (!!) so we don't have to nip to the shops if we want to bake something or eat something that induces a diabetic coma!! :D

Please feel free to join in and either post up a recipe or a picture or just make comments about how great this board is for damaging your diet!!! :rotfl: (please do - so it's not just me baking stuff so I can keep this board going!!! I've already got sufficient winter 'bulk' without eating even more cake!!!!:eek:)

I will go first with my eggless chocolate cake of which there is now only 1 slice left!!!!!

photo2_zps893c82be.jpg

which I got here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8423/eggless-chocolate-cake.aspx

If anyone needs the info for how to post up photos into MSE threads I found this very helpful post: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1690399&page=1

Big hugs
C-R x

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Debts @ LBM (May 2013): £25,250.27 | Debt Free: May 2015 :j:j

Comments

• flyinggiraffe_2
    Options
    I will be watching to see what people post up. I love baking!

My last bake was a chocolate opera cake with a rich chocolate ganache, so not quite a money saving option, but very tasty all the same :D

Ps, I have a great recipe somewhere for a courgette and Guinness cake which I will dig out and post.
  • cottage_retreatist
    Options
    I will be watching to see what people post up. I love baking!

My last bake was a chocolate opera cake with a rich chocolate ganache, so not quite a money saving option, but very tasty all the same :D

Ps, I have a great recipe somewhere for a courgette and Guinness cake which I will dig out and post.

OMG flyinggiraffe!

courgette and Guinness cake? I made a chocolate and Guinness cake a while back and that was nice but I would love your recipe!!

This was my one (it's actually a Nigella special): http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086
    - only 2 eggs for a giant cake but it does require sour cream which isn't exactly a store cupboard staple!!! ;)
  • wegle
    wegle Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    Woo hoo!!, well done C-R getting this going! Who doesn't love a cakes treat?:j:j

Well my last few bakes haven't really been MSE inspired but I'll still stick them up for you!

Zebra Cake

null_zps015d850d.jpg

Taken from my 'Great British Bake Off: Learn to Bake' book which I won in a competition last year using the Comping forums here! Kind of MSE then!

Lemon Meringue Pie

null_zpsd2a72dbe.jpg

Hubby's favourite and again taken from the Learn to Bake book.

Lemon Whoopie Pies

null_zps5e30a94c.jpg

Used up the left over lemons for this one. :money: taken from a Next Whoopie Pie book which I got second hand on a Facebook selling group! These were lush!! But quite a faff to make.

Custard Tarts

null_zps3b327680.jpg

Inspired by last weeks GBBO technical challenge and used the same recipie which can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b013pqnm

Going to try C-R's eggless choccy cake this weekend and also do some bread. Is bread allowed in this thread?
  • In_Debt_Bet
    Options
    Wegle those custard tarts look fabulous, I'm now feeling very hungry. I love baking but haven't attempted custard tarts and last weeks Bake Off did scare me a bit, however they are one of my Mum's favourite treats so I'll get practising - I'll just have to eat all the one's that go wrong (as long as they're edible) :-)

My nephew goes back to Uni this weekend so I'm going to rustle up a batch of Nigella's Rocky Road for him to take back.
    Worrying won't stop bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good.
  • cottage_retreatist
    Options
    Wow Wegle!!!!

Those are some amazing creations there - I especially love the zebra cake!!! I've always wanted to try those muti-coloured cakes!!!!!

And you made the GBBO custard tarts!!! You are a superstar!!!!!!!!! I'm definitely not having a go at this week's 30cm tall biscuit towers!!! (or was it last week? I'm confused!) :rotfl::rotfl:

I did however attempt a non-soggy bottom leek quiche last night:

photo3_zpscd4545b9.jpg

I made it with self-raising flour for the pastry cause I didn't want to go out and buy the plain flour!! yay!!! :j And used creme fraiche to go inside the mixture so it was less calorific!

Which means yes - bread is definitely acceptable for this thread! :A
  • KolaKube
    Options
    Board hopping from MFW - today we made lemon drizzle cupcakes which have turned out lovely -

As a general rule, sponge is easy just weigh your eggs and use the same of butter / marg, caster sugar and flour (SR or plain with baking powder)

3 eggs (200g in my case)
    200g caster sugar
    200g butter / marg
    200g SR flour
    1 lemon (works well with a lime too, or an orange)
    100g of sugar for the topping (doesn't really matter, we used granulated)

Cream together the butter and sugar, then mix in the eggs and flour and beat for a few mins until well mixed. Add the zest of your lemon.

Divide into baking cases (we used a muffin tray and muffin cases and got 12), bake for 12-15 mins until they spring back to the touch.

Whilst in the oven, make the drizzle by mixing the juice of the lemon with the extra sugar. Once they come out of oven drizzle on whilst hot.

Yum yum yum!

Edit temp 180 degrees xx
    MFW Sept 2013 Starting balance: £101160.59 25 years :eek:
    OPs 2013-2014: £64.33 :o MFW #78
  • wegle
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on weighing eggs Kola! That's will make sponges so much easier for me!!

I do love a lemon drizzle!!!!
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I always make my cakes and yorkshire pudding by weighing the eggs.

Following this thread as I like to bake however I am not convinced that it is actually cheaper to make your own.

Last thing I made was a ginger cake and I tried twinks biscuits.
  • KolaKube
    Options
    iammumtoone - isn't it the best method! My sponges always came out really dodgy until I discovered that one. Good luck trying it wegle you wont look back!

I don't think making your own is necessarily money saving e.g. you can buy a pack of value biccies for pence, however as we had the stuff in to use up I guess it made today a NSD for me and home baking stuff is sooooo nice lol xx
    MFW Sept 2013 Starting balance: £101160.59 25 years :eek:
    OPs 2013-2014: £64.33 :o MFW #78
  • wegle
    Options
    It's not MSE if you go out and buy all the ingredients especially to make one bake but like C-R and her eggless cake, she had the ingredients there, which wouldn't be used for anything else, she could have bought a choccy cake but then she'd have spent money and still had ingredients she couldn't use up.

The other way it's MSE is keeping yourself busy so you're not tempted to go on eBay and buy thing!! Well it is for me anyway!! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure