This is a feedback thread on energy supplier
Green Star Energy
Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
  • Did you switch go smoothly?
  • Have you had problems since?
  • Is it easy to contact?
The feedback comes as part of the

Update February 2016:

You might also like to read our Green Star analysis.
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    They came up cheapest for me on Energy club so I took a look at their website as I like to compare the actual until prices. I cannot find the prices on their site at all despite looking and looking. Either I'm making a mistake, or they are deliberating difficult to find. This has put me off from the outset.

Also I find it confusing that Co-op have/had a tariff called Pioneer and to start with I thought they were the same but now I realise (I think) that they are completely different.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • Dustykitten
    edited 3 October 2013 at 1:29PM
    Found the tariff via energy helpline. You can get to it on Pioneer website if you click enrol. I have decided to give them a try as we are high gas users and they work out quite a lot cheaper. I've gone for fixed for 2 year. Not had separate suppliers for as long as I can remember but Pioneer electricity was quite a bit more expensive for me and the dual fuel discount is only £5.25 a year which still does not bring it close. I'll update once my switch has happened.
  • We too found this highly listed by all the compare sites, so emailed them for more info as we are on an IGT (Independent Gas Transporter's) network. Very prompt and polite reply telling us that they could not supply us:

"Thank you for your interest in Pioneer Energy. If your gas supply is served by an Independent Gas Transporter's (IGT) network rather than Transco, as a small supplier, we are unable to quote for the gas supply. You can get further information from the following link:[FONT=&quot] < (not allowed by MSE! - but in fact the energylinx.co.uk link) >[/FONT]"

Also, as with 'Dustykitten', we discovered that they are not (as standard) competitive for electricity, but are consequently an even better deal for gas alone. We presently have a split deal anyway as (much to the surprise it seems of the comparison sites a year ago), this has always proved cheaper, if a bit more cumbersome than dual fuels.

However, still too early it seems for reviews to list them for service factors etc. ... and regrettably no use to us, till they get bigger!
  • Looks good for a 24m fix on the dual fuel comparison, but I want to see the rates...doesn't seem possible without clicking 'enrol'...not impressive for a company that claims to be customer centric.

If I have to click 'enrol' to get a quote, just call the button 'quote'.

LISTEN PIONEER - we want to see your prices!

Now looking elsewhere first, too much hassle for now.
    "Things are never so bad they can't be made worse" - Humphrey Bogart
  • Hi all,

If you do want to see what your rates would be on Pioneer, just click the Enroll button, fill out the first page to detail what services you require and click Begin. The very next page shows the rates for your area, and you can simply close the browser after that while you consider your options. Nothing will happen until several steps later, when you would be asked to review and confirm.

Here are my results for DualFuel DE postcode (Derbyshire) -- and remember, this can be different for your postcode.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Online discount of £5.25/year and Dual fuel discount of £7.88/year are available for these products.

Electricity Products

Rate Wise Variable Elec
    Just Energy
    Payment Method: Direct Debit
    Unit Rate(Day): 12.375 p/kWh
    Unit Rate(Night): 8.008 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 39.27 p/day
    Early Termination Charge: £0.00

Rate Wise 12M Fixed - Elec 2310
    Just Energy
    Term: 12 months
    Unit Rate(Day): 11.798 p/kWh
    Unit Rate(Night): 7.431 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 39.27 p/day
    Early Termination Charge: £31.50

Rate Wise 24M Fixed - Elec 2310
    Just Energy
    Term: 24 months
    Unit Rate(Day): 12.477 p/kWh
    Unit Rate(Night): 8.013 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 39.39 p/day

Gas Products

No Worries Variable Gas
    Just Energy
    Unit Rate: 3.939 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 21.50 p/day
    Early Termination Charge: £0.00

No Worries 12M Fixed - Gas 2310
    Just Energy
    Term: 12 months
    Unit Rate: 3.781 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 21.50 p/day

No Worries 24M Fixed - Gas 2310
    Just Energy
    Term: 24 months
    Unit Rate: 3.812 p/kWh
    Standing Charge: 22.32 p/day

STANDARD TERMS AND CONDITIONS

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good Luck!!

Mrs_M_G :o
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They've e-mailed me that they are going to be called Green Star Energy from 28 October. Maybe to avoid confusion with the Co-op's tariffs called Pioneer?
  • Applied to switch on 5/10/2013. Very prompt and easily understood e-mail confirming gas supply only within a couple of days.Seem to be well organised and efficient.
    Switch from Scottish Power appears to be going smoothly. At the time of application their charges for a 2year fix were were amongst the cheapest and these have been confirmed @Unit Rate: 3.812 p/kWh,Standing Charge: 22.32 p/day. Were not that cheap on electricity and for that I have gone to EDF with cash back from the energy club. Will report further should I experience any difficulties
  • Dustykitten
    My switch AFAIK completed today. All has been hassle free. I needed to phone to give meter readings as the site was not accepting the details, 0800 number, quickly answered and readings taken, reassurance site is being fixed. So far very happy.
  • Mmmm... first impressions very good. Phone call answered by a very knowledgable human at first try. Sign up procedure very easy today and pricing info very clear. Like the idea of setting your own monthly DD and providing regular meter readings - much more transparent than any of the "big" names. However we shall see what happens firther down the line when switch day arrives. will up-date when I can.
  • craggs
    craggs Posts: 256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello money savers,,these have come up cheaper for me also,about £132 per year saving,Im coming from an old 'online energy saver 4' tarrif from scottish power,so been with them yrs,and very used to the online usage.

Whats the online handling of you account like with green star,is it straight forward,and can you put your meter readings in online.
    Dony worry,be happy...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure