Angry Bought a Stolen Car without Knowing it

Options
hi can i get help or advice please
[FONT=&quot]November 2012 I saw an advert on the Auto Trader website for a car which i thought was perfect, it was for a BMW X6 XDrive 2009 going for £22,000. I was over the moon because i had been looking for a 4X4 vehicle for a long time and this one in particular was right up my budget. I contacted the seller and over the telephone we came to an agreement that the seller would accept £21,500 cash. With that settlement I went ahead and ran a HPI check on the vehicle and it came back clear so I proceeded to make my way were the seller was waiting for me. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I arrived to the train station and got a cab to the address that the seller had given me [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Drove about a minutes to the house, the seller told me that he was the son of the seller his father got him to meet me last minute.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I did not see anything strange about that. I proceeded in what I travelled to the location and checked out the car VIN was correct and did a test drive everything looked normal with the vehicle I was very happy with the condition of the car. We went into the house which I assumed was the sellers sons house it looked very normal and lived in. in the kitchen i handed over the cash and the sellers son handed me the paper work for the car included the MOT/service history book and car v5c documents and the Manuel book for the car. I left the area very happy with my car. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a week later i sent the log book to DVLA to register as the new owner of the car about 2 weeks later I received a letter from the metropolitan police informing me that they have received a letter from the DVLA for a new keeper but they need to come. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the 09/01/12 the police investigators came to my property to run checks on the car and they informed me that the car was actually a clone it had been stolen and made to look legit the number plate had been changed and so was the VIN So the car has been taken away by the police I and my pregnant girlfriend are £21,500 out of pocket we are expecting our first child. Now I don’t know what to do any advice[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Comments

• maninthestreet
    Options
    Did you give the police the address you visited to buy the car?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    How can an X6 possibly be perfect? They're awful cars...... No good offroad and too compromised on road. I remember Topgear tearing it a new ar5ehole.

And then 21k on a car when your expecting, I feel for your loss, it's a really sh*t situation, but I really have to facepalm this one........
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What hpi a real one with fraud insurance or the cheap versions
    Be happy...;)
  • Merz_First
    Options
    If the car was cloned it wouldn't come up on a HPI check anyway..
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    can I just check I read this correctly?

- you agreed to buy a car for £21.5k over the phone without even seeing it first?

- you got a train and a cab to somewhere strange with £21.5k in cash in your pocket?

sorry, I can't go on - this is outside my sphere of credibility.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    sorry, I can't go on - this is outside my sphere of credibility.

Exactly, especially the bit where after the phone call he goes straight to the location with £21,500. I guess he just happens to keep such large amounts of cash at home.
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    malichi wrote: »
    hi can i get help or advice please
    Call Trolls Are Us.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you give the police the address you visited to buy the car?

And a copy of the advert, so Autotrader can help the police with their enquiries?
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    Should've thought of the children in the first place. Why does nobody ever think of the children?
    Poor little mite is going to arrive in this world without either a 4x4 or £21k.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Avoriaz wrote: »
    Call Trolls Are Us.

Making an (Expensive) mistake and asking for advice does not make the OP a troll.

Calling people a troll seems to be a trend on MSE at the moment on certain parts of the forum.

There are one or two regular posters who do seem to come up with far fetched stories. However if people keep labelling new posters as you've done with this guy who has made one post asking for advice you will end up with no new posters for the posters on MSE who genuinely want to help and have the knowledge to answer. You'll just end up arguing amongst yourselves and answering threads from plastic football fans.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure