Spill the beans... on when you seriously BULK buy

Spill the beans... on when you seriously BULK buy
[IMGRIGHT]http://images.moneysavingexpert.com/images/spillthebeans2.gif[/IMGRIGHT]

Bulk-buying provides serious discounts if you get it right. So when have you filled your larder with 200 ketchups and half a ton of toilet roll? What's your biggest bulk buy saving? Got bulk buy tips for newbies?

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I normally bulk anything that we use/eat when they are prices that you can not ignore..especially when the supermarkets have got a 'blip' on;) or if the supermarkets reduce end of lines etc...

Sadly the best bulk buys are no longer available, like the health and beauty leaflets that mr T used to have.

The best advice i can give newbies, is write down your normal everyday items that you buy on a regular basis.... and the price range that is the standard price... IF you see it alot cheaper than it is normally, BULK BUY!!!!!!! ( or buy what you can afford)

AND be aware of the so called false offers...... there are loads of them around....
    Work to live= not live to work
  • rabidbun
    rabidbun Posts: 321 Forumite
    So far, toothpaste (25p per tube clearance) and deodorant (while my fav was on half price offer) and my favourite pasta (de cecco) and chopped tomatoes (cirio) up to around six months supply when it is half price.

My criteria are that the offers have to be half price or less and genuine (not the price rise malarky for weeks beforehand) and also that storage room is available (in plastic boxes for food incase of mice).

I did have a great deal on some end of line frozen salmon when the box art was changed, which was probably my largest save. If I recall correctly it was 75% off and I spent £20 on it. :) Oh, and the olives sale that Sainsburys did this year, same discount - got enough for a good year. :D

As far as tips go:

Know the usual genuine price for things you look out for or buy often
    Check sell by dates
    Make sure you have room to store things correctly
    Check tins for dents/jars for seals etc
  • kitschkitty
    kitschkitty Posts: 3,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't bulk buy these days as I noticed the things I had bulk bought weren't exactly essentials - like hundreds of cakes , packets of couscous and packets of snacks from Approved food! Have to admit I gave up shopping with approved food when I got over the novelty of having so much cheap food and now stick to buying more of what we really need rather than just stuff that looks like fun to try!

If say shampoo or coffee are on a really good offer I might buy 6 lots, but don't really buy larger quantities than that of anything these days.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    I have been bulk buying shaving foam in the last few weeks.

Down to just 40p in MrA, I have cleared their shelf almost every two days. :D

Grab anything that you normally buy when you see it at a good price. Also use Mysupermarket savvy buys search by price. Head and shoulders today just 2p. :j
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • quidsin
    quidsin Posts: 336 Forumite
    We have over the past few years, it all started with Bertolli olive oil, with it been dearer then other oils, we've topped our kitchen cupboards up with it when it was less than half price, we now do the same with tinned tomatoes, beans, loo roll, kitchen roll. It all saves money in the long run :)
  • andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    edited 14 August 2012 at 8:00PM
    Would that be the Asda brand shaving foam Soworried in the white can or the blue slightly more expensive one nope completely different, i use the 26p one. dont remember it being that cheap though

and where did u see head and shoulders for 2p
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    I buy things that we use and that won't go off in copious amounts when it's on offer, loo rolls, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, washing powder, washing up liquid, dishwasher talets etc tinned food such as the Branston beans offer, napoli tomatoes, heinz soup, red salmon, jars of jam, sandwich pastes. Oh and I always buy 6 bottles of wine for the discount at Tesco ( that's my excuse LOL)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    I haven't seriously bulk bought since Tesco and Beef in Gravy.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,902
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    We bulk buy:
    Loo roll
    Kitchen roll (when on promotion)
    toothpaste (Flipcap not screwcap - the boys loose caps!)
    Washing powder (not just Big boxes but Lots of Big Boxes)
    Baked beans
    Chopped & plum tinned tomatoes
    Red kidney beans
    Washing up liquid in 5L jugs (no excuses for the lads!)
    Lea & Perrins in a 5L jugs (heavy, shockingly pricy upfront, but compared to the supermarket? hah!)
    Malt vinegar in 5L jugs (ridiculously cheap, no wonder supermarkets make a packet)
    White vinegar (for cleaning) in 5L jugs (pennies in the right place! The Chinese Wholesaler)
    Low sugar brown sauce whenever on promotion
    Low sugar jam whenever on promotion

As we have the storage, the Costo card & only do it in the first 2 weeks of the month.
    My husband still blinks at how much I spend - then when I do the maths in the supermarket he realises Just How Much I save on individual items...
    :D
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    andy2004 wrote: »
    Would that be the Asda brand shaving foam Soworried in the white can or the blue slightly more expensive one nope completely different, i use the 26p one. dont remember it being that cheap though

and where did u see head and shoulders for 2p
    The head and shoulders was in MRA as well. :j I use mysupermarket then click savvy buys, then sort by price. It will bring you up the best bargins. Wednesday is normally the best day. It is like most of the supermarkets mark loads down over night. :D

The shave gel is MrA own, protect ultimate for men. Silver with a dark blue top and orange stripe across the label.

I am also bulk buying lemon pie filling at the minute but at -5p can you blame me? :p
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income