Trial beauty kit costs £57.95

Options
steve1500
steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 31 December 2012 at 3:44PM in Consumer rights
You may like to read our news story on a similar issue.

Back to the original post...

My wife ordered a Dead Sea trial beauty kit and had to pay £3.95 P &P - Well thought she had

The company have subsequently helped themselves to £57.95 from her bank account.

Have complained to HSBC who have refunded the money while they investigate

I have now been to the company's website

https://www.deadseakit.com/promo/?affid=cbth&saffid=CD550606&atrack=XXX

Hidden away right at the bottom in VERY small print is

Risk-free trial offer: By buying this Special Trial Beauty Kit, you agree to enroll in our Autorefill Program. You will be charged applicable shipping and handling fees upon placing the order and will then have 14 days to try our products and return them if you are not completely satisfied. If you choose to keep the kit, you will be charged the full cost of £57.95.

I cannot find any UK contact details for the company referenced
DS Marketing Limited, London. - Although if you go to Companies House there is a company by that name!!! seems to have re-invented itself.

Are we stuffed or can we refuse

Thanks
Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 June 2012 at 1:06PM
    Options
    But when filling the card details, did she see this...23tqfe8.png

The sentence at the bottom is significant.

And immediately below that, as you say 'in small print', is...
    Risk-free trial offer: By buying this Special Trial Beauty Kit, you agree to enroll in our Autorefill Program. You will be charged applicable shipping and handling fees upon placing the order and will then have 14 days to try our products and return them if you are not completely satisfied. If you choose to keep the kit, you will be charged the full cost of $89.95 and will receive replenishments every 30 calendar days. Your card will be charged by Deadseakit.com 8007175794 upon dispatch of each additional package. Autorefill can be cancelled or modified at any time by simply logging into your account.
    Not really hidden away, is it?
    By the way, notice the dollar amount in there?

Have a read of MSE's Card Chargeback article.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If that's very small print to you, you need new glasses. It's obvious twice when purchasing that you're entering into a trial.
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    Options
    It's also a little larger on the terms and conditions page which whoever signed up agreed that they had read.
  • steve1500
    Options
    My concern was around the questionable sales tactics bordering on the..........

The in your face price at the point of authorising is £3.95

Seen $ signs and the typo's Adnerson Cooper, Anderson Cooper 360, Allure, Martha Stweward Living, Oprah Whinfrey.

Again examples of a very professional company!!!!!
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • transient
    transient Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    It is not questionable sales tactics. It is down to the consumer to check what they are signing up for
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed a huge increase in these type of threads lately? Many of them accompanied by the words 'scam' and 'ripoff'?

I'm astounded by the number of people who happily hand over their credit card details for 'free' samples and people who tick the "I've read the t&C's" box without actually bothering to read it at all.
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is questionable sales tactics. That site is quite plainly designed to get people to sign up without realising what they are signing up for.

OK, you'd have to be pretty naïve to fall for it, but stealing from a fool is still stealing. Although, given the nature of their "product", I guess naïvety is more-or-less assured.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Options
    bazster wrote: »
    That site is quite plainly designed to get people to sign up without realising what they are signing up for.

But whose fault is it if someone sees an advert then completes the process without actually reading what they are agreeing to?

Is it really too much to expect a responsible adult to understand what they are signing up for?
  • steve1500
    Options
    Forgetting the should have read the T&C's etc

The answer to my original question is, I believe, Distance Selling Regulations they must provide a proper address & not a PO Box, invoices etc

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft913.pdf
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is it really too much to expect a responsible adult to understand what they are signing up for?

No of course not, but deliberately entrapping people who fail to do so is still dishonest. I repeat: stealing from a fool is still stealing.
    Je suis Charlie.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport