PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Not mentioning the T word at all

Options
I'm starting this thread as a place for every one offer general old style advice and support when they are feeling at the sharp end of life and all it throws at them. This could be big picture stuff like the economic situation, equally it could be personal hard times of a practical, emotional or financial nature.

We have just got back form our fist ever family foreign holiday - 3 nights in a mobile home in Holland - we know how to live!! We tried to be frugal whilst allowing ourselves to relax a little and budget for a few treats but will still need to tighten the belt in the run up to dd's birthday and christmas so will be plenty of cheap meals on the planner this month!

Looking at a few 'investment' purchases in the next few months too - new kitchen window/ refrub of the sash and an A+++ rated tumble dryer but not sure yet.
People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comments

• xx_Jo_xx
    xx_Jo_xx Posts: 2,858 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    :hello:

Hope you enjoyed your holiday!!

I think a new thread is a good idea, where if we waffle and meander a little bit, regarding our own financial situations, its not going to offend or upset those who want to get into the deeper realms of the world of finances and the economic climate, but still allowing us to be a support to each other.

Im currently living on my last boxes of freezer surprise (which turned out to be Homemade Soup) and some frozen sausages, and also sold both my dining room furniture and some childrens bookcases on fleabay... House is looking a lot less cluttered :) and I made £100 :D ....which will all be spent on fuel :(
    :)Sometimes lurking, sometimes posting, but always flying:)
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
    Feb GC £48.02/£250 (£201.98)
    :D I will declutter my house and debts :D
  • Red_Doe
    Red_Doe Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    Can I join in? :D
    Bit worried about the weather at the moment. Past two days we've had thunderstorms, gales, hail and lashing rain plus it's so ruddy cold!
    If this is a taste of winter to come, then help! *shiver and quiver*
    I know I haven't got near enough preparations/stores in to cope with a prolonged winter and am dreading it, to be honest.
    "Ignore the eejits...it saves your blood pressure and drives `em nuts!" :D
  • xx_Jo_xx
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Red Doe - where abouts are you - Im moving back to Scotland on Friday (hence why I need lots of money for fuel! :eek:) and am dreading what the weather has in store....?

As long as it holds of until after everything has been moved the length of the country, I not too worried. Im bringing my fridge and freezer with me for extra food storage in the garage, even though the kitchen has fitted applicances.

Im going to be in the Angus area...
    You are supposed to be the leading lady of your own life, for God's sake! - The Holiday
    DFW :idea: August 2013... Debt total £15,475.56 - Jan 15 £11,738.66 - DEBT FREE by 2015
  • Red_Doe
    Options
    I'm well north of Angus, Jo :) Just a few miles down the road from Cape Wrath, I would say naturally the weather's worse the further north you go but it isn't the case, seems to be pretty bad all over today.
    Good luck with the move!
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    Better bring your thermals Jo - I'm near Cumbernauld and it's perishing today. The sleet lashing off the windows at 3am this morning gave me an early alarm call. It was coming from the north so I guess it will be even colder where you are going!

I don't think I have enough stock of the right things. I have lots of dried pasta and things like porridge oats but I think I should stock up on things like tinned tomatoes. I've taken to adding some frozen veg like peas and sweetcorn to my vegetable soup recently to bulk it up a bit. I also plan to buy quite a lot of leeks and freeze them ready sliced ready just to drop into soup. I'll have to check if I need to blanche them first - that would be a bit of a faff though as they would need to cool before I could ziplock them.

One of my friends is stockpiling like mad and has quite a haul in her garage. Mine is perfectly dry but cold so I'm wary about keeping much out there. She did suggest I could keep tins in the garage and use old bubble wrap round them if I thought it was too cold. That's just taking things to extremes though - bubble wrapping beans seems crazy:)
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • Red_Doe
    Options
    Minnie, if you do blanche your leeks, a quick and easy way to cool them is to fill the sink with cold water and a handful or two of ice cubes. :) Dunk them in a large sieve or collander and bob's your aunty. :D
    Also, if you are worried about storing things in an outbuilding, and have them against a wall, flatten any cardboard boxes you have and put them under your stores and gaffer tape them to the wall, the cardboard acts like insulation and stops things freezing. :)
  • Draagonfly
    Draagonfly Posts: 69 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2011 at 6:17PM
    Options
    I also plan to buy quite a lot of leeks and freeze them ready sliced ready just to drop into soup. I'll have to check if I need to blanche them first - that would be a bit of a faff though as they would need to cool before I could ziplock them.

I can never keep on top of using fresh leeks so I chop & freeze. I don't blanche them, just slice & give a good rinse, allow the excess moisture to drain then just chuck them in a freezer bag & have not had any problems. It's worth giving the bag a shake from time to time to stop them "setting" into too hard a lump. I then just cook from frozen as required. :)
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    Brrr - I'm in Yorks and its howling here - though not as bad as the Force 8 gales we endured on our crossing home.

My stored are all kept in the cellar - I keep them for those months that last longer than the pay check more than bad weather. Had the heating on today to take the chill off the empty house but thermostat will go down again tomorrow.
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    xx_Jo_xx wrote: »
    :hello:

Hope you enjoyed your holiday!!

I think a new thread is a good idea, where if we waffle and meander a little bit, regarding our own financial situations, its not going to offend or upset those who want to get into the deeper realms of the world of finances and the economic climate, but still allowing us to be a support to each other.

Im currently living on my last boxes of freezer surprise (which turned out to be Homemade Soup) and some frozen sausages, and also sold both my dining room furniture and some childrens bookcases on fleabay... House is looking a lot less cluttered :) and I made £100 :D ....which will all be spent on fuel :(

I used to love the T thread but I started to find it a bit doom and gloom - I am sure they are right but its frightening and tbh I would rather be an ostrich with my head in the sand where world economy is concerned :o

I just did a Mr T shop and got sooooo many whoopsies!!! Inc oxtail which I have never cooked in my life before (but have had he!nz oxtail soup :D lean turkey breast mince and venison leg steaks! Reduced to silly prices. I don't think I have ever had venison before.

Need to rein in my spends to clear the CCs which shouldn't take too long. Got a nice contract job in December which will pay for Christmas and more :T Next big contract won't be until March so I shall be eeking out every £ until then!

Got all my winter crafts to make and sell at the local school Xmas Fayres but can't get motivated atm... Have to tho as time is running out on me and I have already spent on fabrics and stuff :eek:

Love Fru x
  • xx_Jo_xx
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Im heading for the Brechin area... dont worry, my thermals are already packed ;)

Im a bit worried though as because of the move I have dwindled down my freezers and cupboards so my stockpile is currently at zero :eek:

When I get there, I plan to do a few "whoopsie" shops and then batch-cook and freeze to replenish my frozen meals. I havent found out where the local farm shops, egg supplies etc are yet - but until I get working I dont want to rush out and have to do a mammoth shop either - so it will be a case of picking up bargains in the supermarket when I see them for tins, pasta, rice, toilet roll etc... I will be sure to keep you all updated on my shopping adventures :)

I have put all of our wellies, thermals, hot water bottles etc in one hamper so when we get there, I know where they are right away! In addition, the heating for the house runs on oil, which I mentioned before and Im not sure how costly that will be, so dont want to start whacking the heating up right away and end up costing myself a small fortune, so thats another reason I wanted to keep all my cozy stuff easily accessible! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family