Nationwide Soft-Search

Options
goaroundnow
goaroundnow Posts: 95 Forumite
edited 22 September 2011 at 10:27PM in Credit cards
Hi Guys

I recently did a Nationwide "soft" (i.e. only to point of quote) application - for both a credit-card (potentially want a 0% card) and loan (just out of curiosity).

I read on another thread that if you got quoted 24.9%APR for their loans, you would be declined once the "hard" (i.e. fully scored) check was done. This was because 24.9% was the highest APR the system could quote and meant a too low score. My loan quotes varied between 8-12% (depending on amount and term), so seem "ok".

When I did the credit card application, however, it quoted me a limit of up to £3800 but at 19.9% APR - their highest. Do you think this is an indication that the credit card would be ultimately declined?

As a kind of self-test, my partner (with an awful credit rating) put in soft applications and also got quoted 19.9% but a £500 limit on a credit card. This, I think, would be more indicative of their default setting for low scores on credit cards. They were quoted 24.9% on loans - which I would have expected (if the above is correct).

What do you think?

p.s. I have access to my credit reports and all is fine to the naked eye (all green, no late payments, not heavily indebted, electoral role, old and new accounts, few/no recent searches etc)

Comments

• simax
    simax Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They accepted me for the card at 19.9% and a 2k limit. I think £500 with that APR would be a decline.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • thegoodman
    Options
    How do you get the soft search?
  • its on the application page
  • goaroundnow
    Options
    Simax

Is this the same APR and limit you were quoted before proceeding to the "hard" search?

Cheers?
  • Cash_Flow
    Cash_Flow Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    I wish more lenders would make use of the soft search.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simax

Is this the same APR and limit you were quoted before proceeding to the "hard" search?

Cheers?

Indeed. What I was quoted was what I got.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • Cash_Flow
    Cash_Flow Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    So am I right in saying that the only two lenders who offer the soft search option for credit cards are Nationwide and Barclaycard?
  • Dr_Cuckoo3
    Options
    Cash_Flow wrote: »
    So am I right in saying that the only two lenders who offer the soft search option for credit cards are Nationwide and Barclaycard?

Fluid card offer soft search

https://card.fluid.co.uk/form.aspx

Start your application to fluid here. We'll check if you're likely to be accepted without affecting your credit profile

http://card.fluid.co.uk/

fluidcard_mid.gif
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Venusflytrap
    Options
    I just used the Nationwide soft search for their CC (i'm also a flex account holder) and was offered £2k @ 9.9% (after 6 months). Do I take it that I have a good chance of being accepted? We have a wedding trip coming up next summer which we may want to use the 0% purchase offer for (instead of losing 6 months' interest on our savings).
  • Scarpacci
    Scarpacci Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    I just used the Nationwide soft search for their CC (i'm also a flex account holder) and was offered £2k @ 9.9% (after 6 months). Do I take it that I have a good chance of being accepted? We have a wedding trip coming up next summer which we may want to use the 0% purchase offer for (instead of losing 6 months' interest on our savings).
    I would think you have a very good chance, yes. :) I was quoted the same APR and a similar limit and so applied and everything went through fine. The application was accepted instantly and the credit agreement turned up two days later. By soft-searching your report, I think they've pretty much got all the information they need, so I think it would be unlikely for a quote like that to be later declined.
    This is everybody's fault but mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport