Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• wackojackouk
    wackojackouk Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey chaps

I cancelled Sports & Movies + HD back in May and got offered 25% off for 12 months so paying less than £20 at the moment.

I then got a call about 5 weeks later on a Sunday morning offering the HD pack for £2.50 p/m for 12 months - again no tie-in so took them up on the offer as I will reinstate Sky Sports for the football season shortly.

Was just wondering if anyone has seen any offers for half price Sky Sports or anything at the moment - I'm trying to remember if they are launching just before the football season or not (and I guess what with the Olympics being on they aren't pushing it just yet).

Thoughts?

WJUK
  • kingcog
    kingcog Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I got this offer through today having been switched off in May. For entertainment and sports that comes to about £17 a month for the year. However, even that seems a bit too much now as I have discovered that I really don't miss Sky as a lot of what I watch is available elsewhere. They had their chance when I called to haggle, called my bluff and lost.
  • jeff_tower
    Options
    I am now getting regular post offering Sky half price for 12 months and £50 in my account if I come back to Sky. Trouble is I am now with BT Vision on a 12 month contract, I tried all the usual calls to Sky, but they let me leave after 10 years without any offers, so its their loss. The only thing I miss is being able to change channels in the kitchen/bedrooms via Sky Magic Eye.
  • sumo22
    sumo22 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    i have had endless problems with sky and not getting all the channels i was paying for then they said they would send someone round at £60 which i haggled with and got it for free. They said that they will send someone round on friday but no one turned up so i rang them and the man i spoke to didnt really care and said that all he can do is say sorry and i said well i cant afford it any more and need to cancell he could only reduce it from £85 to £72 for the whole package i should thats still too much so i cancelled. I then rang virgin and they said for the same package they can do it for £36 for 6 months then £58 after.
    Now shall i ring sky and see if they can beat it?
  • MrsShawToBe
    MrsShawToBe Posts: 594 Forumite
    Options
    Heya

Quick question!

We pay around £40 a month for basic sky, unlimited broadband and free evening and weekend calls.

What do you think the cheapest we could get with sky would be for just calls and broadband..? I think our contract is up in early October so will be able to get a proper idea next month but just wondering... :)

I know there are £3.50 half price phone and broadband deals atm, and obviously hearing of people getting line rental for £1... do you think its possible to get phone and broadband for less than £10 a month?

xx
  • Punizher
    Punizher Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    You're missing the difference between Fibre Optic and Copper.

Removed link cos was !!!!!ing about it, and would not let me quote you :p (punizher)

Click the check your speed icon on that page, enter your details and see what it offers.

If you have a 30mb line with virgin and they drop you to say 2.5 or 5mb...You might not even be able to get 5mb at any point with a BT/Sky/Be line - check what it says its capable of...

this is what the BT website says when i checked it

The speed prediction than your estimated speed quoted. Between 10.0Mb and 19.5Mb (Estimated speed: 17.0Mb)

and Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity.

only think i dont like about BT is the 18months contract, seem toooo much, i think will call virgin and see if i can get an upgrade and less trolling by doing it, noticed a few people on the same sort of packages and were offer an upgrade on the broadband speed.
  • TheJeebieJar
    TheJeebieJar Posts: 19 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2012 at 3:24PM
    Options
    Phoned up SKY today to try negotiate a deal. Called cancellations and said I wanted to reduce my bill and possibly cancel TV, keeping broadband and calls. Operator was very helpful and offered me a great deal:

Entertainment TV package + documentaries
    Unlimited 24 MB broadband (I get 19MB)
    Unlimited calls
    Free international calls
    Free Wireless N router upgrade
    £37 per month.

I Was previously paying £47 for the same package with the rubbish wireless G router. They reduced my line rental to £3 for 12 months. All in all very happy with the £120 annual saving and dodged the £35 fee for the new router !

Maybe worth noting I didn't threaten to leave or mention any other providers.
  • zen135
    zen135 Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    I currently have Sky Entertainment Extra + HD package and out of contract. If I cancel my HD package now and then add it again after say 6 months, would it entail a new 12 month contract?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Operator was very helpful and offered me a great deal:

Entertainment TV package + documentaries
    As the old 'Knowledge' pack has now been incorporated into the Entertainment Extra pack, that's not possible.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still waiting for my SKY offers to flood in. Currently cancelled it all and cut off date is fast approaching.

Got a "what did we do wrong" questionnaire from Sky this week, which I have now sent back. I said no to the "if we offer you a deal would you stay" so they might not come back with an offer? The options were Yes / No / Not Sure.

Still geared up to go as we were paying £110 a month for it all !! That is complete madness. Already got a free 2 month Lovefilm voucher ready to go. It's the footy I'm going to miss the most, but determined to at least try and live without it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure