Halifax Clarity Card Launch Today!

Options
Just thought that i would remind you all that the new HFX Clarity card is getting its official launch for Halifax customers. This card has one rate however the card is used. Typical is 12.9%, against two higher options of 17.9% or 21.9% APR.

No balance transfer fee
No cash withdrawal fee
No foreign exchange fee
No gambling transaction fee

You will also get a £5 'reward' payment if you spend more than £300 in a statement period. :)

The card is avalible to HFX customers through regular channels, but only online for BOS customers. As from today all of the current 0% credit cards will cease for HFX customers (except online), but are still fully available to BOS customers.
100% G33K
:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• ashleygunn
    ashleygunn Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    No mention of it on the website - are you sure its today?
    I get enough exercise just pushing my luck
  • INT1
    INT1 Posts: 1,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So potential to make £60 a year by spending £3600 which would be £36 through my existing 1% card.
    Not bad really, along with the 0% fees on the other things.
  • INT1
    Options
    Ahhh you need to have a Ultimate reward current account which they charge £12 a month for...
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,803 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    INT1 wrote: »
    Ahhh you need to have a Ultimate reward current account which they charge £12 a month for...

No you don't.
    You need to pay £1000 a month into a current account or have a URCA. Ideal for those of us that already have 3 Reward accounts through which we cycle £1000.

"How do I qualify for this offer?
    You simply need one of the following:
    • A current account with us into which you pay £1,000 or more each month
    • An Ultimate Reward Current Account "
  • INT1
    Options
    noh wrote: »
    No you don't.
    You need to pay £1000 a month into a current account or have a URCA. Ideal for those of us that already have 3 Reward accounts through which we cycle £1000.

"How do I qualify for this offer?
    You simply need one of the following:
    • A current account with us into which you pay £1,000 or more each month
    • An Ultimate Reward Current Account "

Ahhh I mis read it, thanks-will look in to this :)
  • jambosans
    jambosans Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought I would give a little insight into my experiences applying for the Halifax Clarity Credit Card as an existing Bank of Scotland customer.

As many of you will know, Halifax is simply a brand name for Bank of Scotland plc, so I assumed the Clarity Credit Card would be made available (albeit indirectly) to Bank of Scotland customers. When I contacted Telephone Banking and asked to apply there seemed to be no issue until the advisor spoke with Applications. They advised Telephone Banking that due to the fact I hold a Bank of Scotland Ultimate Reward Current Account I was unable to apply over the telephone, however could bypass this technicality by applying via the Halifax website.

Odd, but not wanting to cause a fuss, I proceeded to the Halifax website, applied for the Clarity Credit Card, and everything went through fine. I noticed the card is available to non-Halifax customers minus the £5 cashback when spending £300 per month. Slightly concerned I may be classed as a "non-Halifax customer" I contacted Halifax Credit Card Applications. They advised regardless of branding, holding an Ultimate Reward Current Account would qualify me for the existing customer offer (i.e. £5 cashback).

It's difficult to be certain but I'm inclined to go with the latter scenario for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I know for a fact Halifax and Bank of Scotland accounts are one and the same. Accounts are held on the same heritage HBOS system, along with an identical Online Banking service (e.g. I can access my BoS accounts via Halifax Online Banking). Secondly, when you hold accounts with either brand, you have one customer profile (i.e. when you contact Telephone Banking they can see any other accounts you hold with either brand). Finally, everyone wants to pick the scenario where they get more free fivers. :o

I wonder if any HBOS employees could shed some light on the situation?

Rant: as an aside, I do find it frustrating that Lloyds Banking Group's attempts to differentiate the brands results in a better deal being had with what is in essence another name for Bank of Scotland. It's understandable that Lloyds TSB has a different product range because it's still a completely separate bank (both in terms of its licence and systems), but there are still dual-branded HBOS branches in Scotland. If you weren't as clued up on HBOS you would easily miss out on this great deal due entirely to deceptive branding.

I will update when/ if I get my first £5 cashback.
    Anything I post is my opinion, so from time to time I may be wrong. I try to provide answers based in fact, however I don't know everything, so (like all posters on MSE), take what I say with a pinch of salt.
  • DarkFallout
    DarkFallout Posts: 209 Forumite
    Options
    Until when is this is offer valid and why I don't see it on my on-line banking?
  • Azrael_1701
    Azrael_1701 Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    jambosans wrote: »
    Just thought I would give a little insight into my experiences applying for the Halifax Clarity Credit Card as an existing Bank of Scotland customer.

As many of you will know, Halifax is simply a brand name for Bank of Scotland plc, so I assumed the Clarity Credit Card would be made available (albeit indirectly) to Bank of Scotland customers. When I contacted Telephone Banking and asked to apply there seemed to be no issue until the advisor spoke with Applications. They advised Telephone Banking that due to the fact I hold a Bank of Scotland Ultimate Reward Current Account I was unable to apply over the telephone, however could bypass this technicality by applying via the Halifax website.

Odd, but not wanting to cause a fuss, I proceeded to the Halifax website, applied for the Clarity Credit Card, and everything went through fine. I noticed the card is available to non-Halifax customers minus the £5 cashback when spending £300 per month. Slightly concerned I may be classed as a "non-Halifax customer" I contacted Halifax Credit Card Applications. They advised regardless of branding, holding an Ultimate Reward Current Account would qualify me for the existing customer offer (i.e. £5 cashback).

It's difficult to be certain but I'm inclined to go with the latter scenario for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I know for a fact Halifax and Bank of Scotland accounts are one and the same. Accounts are held on the same heritage HBOS system, along with an identical Online Banking service (e.g. I can access my BoS accounts via Halifax Online Banking). Secondly, when you hold accounts with either brand, you have one customer profile (i.e. when you contact Telephone Banking they can see any other accounts you hold with either brand). Finally, everyone wants to pick the scenario where they get more free fivers. :o

I wonder if any HBOS employees could shed some light on the situation?

Rant: as an aside, I do find it frustrating that Lloyds Banking Group's attempts to differentiate the brands results in a better deal being had with what is in essence another name for Bank of Scotland. It's understandable that Lloyds TSB has a different product range because it's still a completely separate bank (both in terms of its licence and systems), but there are still dual-branded HBOS branches in Scotland. If you weren't as clued up on HBOS you would easily miss out on this great deal due entirely to deceptive branding.

I will update when/ if I get my first £5 cashback.

That is a very good point, and you are correct in saying that you can apply online but not through any other direct channels. The reason we were given for this is basically "because thats the way it is". If you have a HFX account (such as some savings accounts), if you phone through on that account, you can then apply over the phone, but the card will come with HFX branding not BOS, like online ones will....

Until when is this is offer valid and why I don't see it on my on-line banking?

Its a new card completelly, so no time scale really.
    100% G33K
    :D:D:D:D:D
  • firsttimestudent
    Options
    Thanks for letting us know about this new card!

1. Will the 0% exchange rate be based on Mastercard's exchange rate, or is it going to be a rate set by Halifax themselves?

2. Do you know the procedures for current Halifax credit card holders - will they be able to just do a switch (will this involve a credit search?), or do they have to close the old one down before opening a new one?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport