Only got Sky Sports, ESPN &/or MUTV for the footie? Cancel for the summer to save ££s

Former_MSE_Natasha
Former_MSE_Natasha Posts: 672 Forumite
edited 18 May 2010 at 9:27PM in TV MoneySaving
[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif What's this about?[/title]
If you're a football fan with a subscription to Sky Sports, ESPN or MUTV via Virgin, Sky or BT Vision, consider cancelling the channels or downgrading for the summer to save cash. You may just be offered a much better deal.

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif How to do it?[/title]
Call up your provider and tell it you want to cancel these channels; it's likely to try and talk you out of it. From here, you've a ready-made chance to bag yourself some free channels, or a handy discount.

Many MoneySavers have achieved a treasure chest of offers in past years (please report how you did in the thread below).

Just DON'T mention you're going to re-subscribe at the end of August and are only doing it for the summer... Read the full How To Haggle guide.

Virgin Media, Sky and BT have all confirmed, regardless of being in contract or not, you're able to drop channels or your package if and when you please, but subject to a notice period in some cases (full details are below).

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif Will you miss any sporting events?[/title]
Big sporting events this summer, including the World Cup, Wimbledon and The Open, will be shown on terrestrial channels.

Yet Sky Sports will have England's cricket home series against Bangladesh, Australia and Pakistan, and the Golf's US Open and USPGA. Plus for rugby union fans, home nation games overseas, including England's tour of Australia.

But if there's only a handful of games you don't want to miss and are wavering, sit down and consider if you really watch enough during the summer to justify the cost (use The Demotivator to calculate the real cost). Could you watch them at a friend's house or the pub?

[title=http://images2.moneysavingexpert.com/images/dp/wtd_underline.gif]wtd_icon.gif How much can you save?[/title]
This depends on your digital TV provider and the package you have.

Virgin Media. Someone on the XL TV package (which includes ESPN) paying for MUTV and the Sky Sports collection package on top could be forking out £49.50 per month. Yet downgrading to the basic M TV tariff and cancelling the separate sports channels would save £44 per month. Downgrading your package will happen immediately, though you must have been a customer for at least a month and keep the change for at least a month.

But do bear in mind, if you initially signed up to a bundle deal for multiple services, the cost of your broadband and/or telephone may change. Ask the advisor what the new monthly fee overall would be before you commit to your decision. You can always have a think and call back.

Sky. You can 'spin down' to it's basic package, for between £18 and £23 per month depending on how many entertainment channels you want, at any time. But if you subscribe to premium channels such as Sky Sports (£18/month), ESPN (£9/month) and MUTV (£6/month), this year its introduced a clause that you must give 31 days' notice to drop them (even if you're out of contract). By knocking these off though, you'll save £33 per month.

BT Vision. Those with its silver or gold value tariffs can knock between £3 and £5 off monthly bills by dropping to the bronze package, which can include two of the following: Film Club, Music, Sport, Kids. BT doesn't offer Sky Sports or MUTV.

BT customers get ESPN free after making a one-off £9.99 payment, so there's no point cancelling that.
For full hints, tips and tricks to get more for your money, read the Digital TV Cost Cutting guide and see the Cheap Digital TV deals note.

PLEASE REPORT HOW YOU GET ON IN THE THREAD BELOW

[signupbox]test[/signupbox]

Comments

• Did this the other day. Be warned that to cancel you have to give 30 days notice now so paying for the next month at £18.

However they offered me £3 pm from now til the start of the season meaning i pay £9 instead and keep it if I ever wish to watch whatever is on over summer
  • andie99uk
    andie99uk Posts: 15 Forumite
    Did this the other day. Be warned that to cancel you have to give 30 days notice now so paying for the next month at £18.

However they offered me £3 pm from now til the start of the season meaning i pay £9 instead and keep it if I ever wish to watch whatever is on over summer

Also got the above, but cancelled my 2 multiroom box. £25 saving until August, but free to air will still be on the 2nd box.
    :beer: Heaven dosent want me & Hell is scared I'll take over!
  • I contacted Top Up TV re my ESPN subscription last week and informed them that I wished to cancel my sub as I was only interested in the football. They offered me 1/2 subscription i.e. £4.99 for the next 3 months to avoid paying a £20 re-connection charge. They also informed me that they would be offering Sky TV in the autumn at "very favourable rates".
  • neildar
    neildar Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2010 at 10:42AM
    I phoned up sky and have now got a 20% discount for 6 months as they say they get people cancelling for the end of the football season they have a special promotion.
  • I did the same thing this week, was told i needed to give 30 days notice so rather than watch sports for another month i transferred to movies for the duration of my notice for free. After the 30 days movies will cancel too. worth a thought if you dont have movies and dont want to waste £18 while waiting
  • how much would I save if I cancelled Sky Movies permantely?

Also sky sport is covering the golf so otherhalf wants to keep this>
  • xtra_time
    xtra_time Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    if you have movies and sports is the reduction as much? I want to keep the movies really
  • Dpk
    Dpk Posts: 108 Forumite
    only got offered free espn for 3 months :(
  • Need to be aware of the 1 months notice - just called up and they have offered me 6 months half price deal which works out better than cancelling from June-August :)
  • alcrawford
    alcrawford Posts: 9 Forumite
    This is why I get a 'courtesy' call asking if I would be interested in Sports and Movies for half price for 3 months then. To make up their 'losses'? ;)

I asked why I was still getting sales calls when I had previously asked not to receive them. Apparently it is NOT a sales call, they are just 'letting me know that there is a great offer that I may be interested in.....'
    Proud to be dealing with my debt :)
    LBM: 20.07.08
    Debt @ 20.07.08: £25,100
    Debt free date: TBC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business