Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stardrops42
    • By stardrops42 28th Dec 09, 5:53 PM
    • 855Posts
    • 4,759Thanks
    stardrops42
    The Sewing Room
    • 28th Dec 09, 5:53 PM
    The Sewing Room 28th Dec 09 at 5:53 PM
    Hello all
    As suggested by "Trow" on the "crafting for christmas 2010" thread I am starting a new "sewing" thread (no pun intended) I thought this would be a good place for us to post our sewing projects, offer guidence or advice and generally chat about anything to do with sewing. Anybody want to join me in here? Everyone is welcome
    Feb GC £80 per week (Well I'm gunna try)
    Diet starts today(31/12/16)! Only 18lbs to lose

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose
Page 1
    • wendall
    • By wendall 28th Dec 09, 5:59 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    wendall
    • 28th Dec 09, 5:59 PM
    • 28th Dec 09, 5:59 PM
    I got the Cath Kidston book which has the free bag in it to make, so will be following this thread with interest as i have only ever sewed straight lines on my machine.
  • Gothdolly
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:08 PM
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:08 PM
    Count me in, I've got lots of projects I want to do from soft furnishings to coats. I just need to sort out my sewing room as I can barely move in there at the moment.
  • alyssa_liss
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:11 PM
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:11 PM
    ill have a look aswell

• Dopey_Dora_42
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:12 PM
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:12 PM
    I have a very underused sewing machine so would love some ideas. I have done sock monkeys. I would love to make my mum a quilt but really dont know where to start so can anyone point me in the right direction or a website that has step by step idiots guide to doing one.I watched a film over christmas where a lady made a quilt out of her daughters old clothes. (like a memory quilt) but there wasnt any instruction lol.
    Thank you and Happy New Year
    Dora xx
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 28th Dec 09, 6:17 PM
    • 6,426 Posts
    • 37,987 Thanks
    Rummer
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:17 PM
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:17 PM
    I would like to join in too! I got my sewing machine in July and so far everything I have made has been rectangular (draft excluder, table runners etc). Now that I can sew in straight lines I am ready to branch out and start sewing some little projects with a view to moving onto clothes as the year goes on. The Prima website has some great free sewing ideas to get people started.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • stardrops42
    • By stardrops42 28th Dec 09, 6:22 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    stardrops42
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:22 PM
    I have a very underused sewing machine so would love some ideas. I have done sock monkeys. I would love to make my mum a quilt but really dont know where to start so can anyone point me in the right direction or a website that has step by step idiots guide to doing one.I watched a film over christmas where a lady made a quilt out of her daughters old clothes. (like a memory quilt) but there wasnt any instruction lol.
    Thank you and Happy New Year
    Dora xx
    Originally posted by Dopey_Dora_42
    This site is great and has loads of tutorials on it. It's mainly for baby stuff but the quilts can be adapted for anyone by altering the size and fabrics. The polka dot quilt is cute You will need to look under the blanket section
    http://www.makeforbaby.com/directory.php?directory=Toy

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 28th Dec 09, 6:22 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    Hi there, I buy quite a few clothes on ebay and alter them, so I´d like to join please. At the moment I´ve got 2 dresses waiting to be ´changed´.Both of them are long. the first is for a wedding in June, so have a bit of time...it´s white(ish) with red flowers, 2 layers, top one being a sort of georgette and the lining is a nylon underskirt. Ithe dress has a V necline front and back, but the front has been a little stretched when ironed (not by me) so woild like a few thougts on sorting that out. I am going to shorten the dress for daytime wear and with the bottom bit I cut off I want to make an insert for a side seam in the dress to make it ore swirly. the whole dress is cut on the bias.
    The second project that I want to do asap is a stretchy velvet sequined evening dress. simple shift style no zips etc. Nothing special, scoop neck front and back with wide shoulders. As I´m quite narrow across the shoulders I need to do something to make the ´straps´ narrower. Am toying with the idea of cutting the back neckline into a deep V... Although the dress is a long, when I try it on it goes up at the front (as I have quite a protruding bust) so might just cut the bottom off and turn it into a short cocktail type dress, or cut a bit off the bottom and add like a fishtail in navy chiffon to keep the dress as a full length one. The other thing wit this dress is it doesn´´t have facings on the neck or round the armholes, just a turned hem.
    Any thoughts, ideas, tips on these projests would be gratly appreciated
    Sandy
    • stitching witch
    • By stitching witch 28th Dec 09, 6:31 PM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 8,237 Thanks
    stitching witch
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:31 PM
    • 28th Dec 09, 6:31 PM
    Ooh, a sewing room! I'll certainly join in. I'd love next Christmas to be full of hand crafted gifts, but I made five quilts this year as presents and I'm running out of people to sew for!

My personal challenge is a quilt for ourselves, one for each of my four (grown up) children and all the grandchildren. That leaves 3 quilts to do, more grandchildren aside of course! I'm sure there must be other things I can make for people. I can't persuade ANY of them to have a corset though!
    Making magic with fabric

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    • stardrops42
    • By stardrops42 28th Dec 09, 6:33 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    stardrops42
    Wow Sandy, you sound a lot more experienced and talented than me. I'm afraid I'm only a beginner really and I basically wing it most of the timeBut I'm sure someone who is more qualified will come along shortly to offer advice

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose
    • stardrops42
    • By stardrops42 28th Dec 09, 6:35 PM
    • 855 Posts
    • 4,759 Thanks
    stardrops42
    Ooh, a sewing room! I'll certainly join in. I'd love next Christmas to be full of hand crafted gifts, but I made five quilts this year as presents and I'm running out of people to sew for!

My personal challenge is a quilt for ourselves, one for each of my four (grown up) children and all the grandchildren. That leaves 3 quilts to do, more grandchildren aside of course! I'm sure there must be other things I can make for people. I can't persuade ANY of them to have a corset though!
    Originally posted by stitching witch
    Ooh I'm dying to make a quilt, never made one before so might have to pick your brains if thats ok

4/2/16 - 13lbs to lose
    11/2/16 - 12lbs to lose
    3/3/16 - 11lbs to lose
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 28th Dec 09, 6:45 PM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 13,510 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Count me in too. I tend to lurk mostly, but it will be nice to be able to chat with like minded folks.

Plus I have so many projects half finished it may give me a kick up the bum I need.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £206/2500 8.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas Day...all of it.

GAZELLE INTENSE AND GAINING TRACTION
    • whoopidoo
    • By whoopidoo 28th Dec 09, 6:50 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 10,462 Thanks
    whoopidoo
    Room for a complete beginner? Just came over from the Christmas thread and can't even threadle a machine. My resolutions this year though are to learn to sew and crochet. I have no excuse, I have my Mums old machine in the cupboard under the stairs so I just need to get that checked out and then I can start learning. My MIL has given a very good book that my sister said she taught herself completely with (and she makes fabulous stuff now) so here goes eh?
    Huuuuuuge thank you hugs to all posters
    • jollymummy
    • By jollymummy 28th Dec 09, 6:53 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    jollymummy
    Wendall - I got the Cath Kidston book for Christmas too and intend to have a go at the bag.
    It's my birthday in January and I fancy a sewing machine for my birthday, I'm currently using an ancient Singer and I'm a bit of a novice at it all, so all advice will be much appreciated. I might start a thread about it

NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
    • rosalie-lavender
    • By rosalie-lavender 28th Dec 09, 7:02 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 4,169 Thanks
    rosalie-lavender
    Hi there, I buy quite a few clothes on ebay and alter them, so I´d like to join please. At the moment I´ve got 2 dresses waiting to be ´changed´.Both of them are long. the first is for a wedding in June, so have a bit of time...it´s white(ish) with red flowers, 2 layers, top one being a sort of georgette and the lining is a nylon underskirt. Ithe dress has a V necline front and back, but the front has been a little stretched when ironed (not by me) so woild like a few thougts on sorting that out. I am going to shorten the dress for daytime wear and with the bottom bit I cut off I want to make an insert for a side seam in the dress to make it ore swirly. the whole dress is cut on the bias.
    The second project that I want to do asap is a stretchy velvet sequined evening dress. simple shift style no zips etc. Nothing special, scoop neck front and back with wide shoulders. As I´m quite narrow across the shoulders I need to do something to make the ´straps´ narrower. Am toying with the idea of cutting the back neckline into a deep V... Although the dress is a long, when I try it on it goes up at the front (as I have quite a protruding bust) so might just cut the bottom off and turn it into a short cocktail type dress, or cut a bit off the bottom and add like a fishtail in navy chiffon to keep the dress as a full length one. The other thing wit this dress is it doesn´´t have facings on the neck or round the armholes, just a turned hem.
    Any thoughts, ideas, tips on these projests would be gratly appreciated
    Sandy
    Originally posted by sandy2
    I'm in too, how nice to see a sewing thread.

My initial thoughts on the above are

First dress, one way of sorting out the stretched V could be to get a piece of narrow seam tape-if you use cotton boil it first in case it shrinks with washing. Put the tape on the underside of the neckline and ease the excess in evenly along the length. Then either hand stitch or top stitch it to the neckline making sure the tape doesn't show on the right side. You could also use a piece cut off the selvedge of the cut off bit so the colour matches. A triangular godet would be nice added to the side seams from the oddment. I would cut it longer than you want and then level it up at the hem after you have sewn it in.

Second dress, I think the fact that it hasn't got any facings will make it easier to alter because you haven't got to take them off first. It is hard to say the best way to alter it without seeing it. If you make a v back bear in mind if you want to make the straps narrower you will probably have to alter the front neck a little to keep a smooth line. It will also not stop the straps being too far over on the shoulder (if they are.) If that is the case you may need to take a bit off the straps at at the armhole side. Has it got a seam up the back? If it has you might be able to unpick it and pin it to see how the v will work before you commit to it. The best bet for the hem might be to do what you say and level it off into a cocktail length so that you can cut it longer at the front.
  • Alcmene
    I love quilting, my nest quilt is going to be for me, I want to make a muppet quilt.
    • sandy2
    • By sandy2 28th Dec 09, 7:17 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 2,781 Thanks
    sandy2
    Thanks for your thoughts RosalieL, Couldn´t remember the word godet when I needed it.
    Sandy
  • zombiecazz
    I'll join in too.
    I want to make some mini tartan skirts for my DD to over the top of her leggins. I bought a pair of tartan trousers and a tartan nightie from a charity shop today £7.00 all together and enough material to make at least 3 amybe 4 skirts.
    "A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." Mark Twain
  • SavingSu
    A sewing thread - a big me too! I mainly hand stitch so have started some quilts but not finished them yet. I'd like to branch out - I've made a few bags and am considering using a sewing machine to make this easier or seeing if my Mam's old one still works. I'd love to work up to clothes so will follow along with interest.
    • wendall
    • By wendall 28th Dec 09, 7:25 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    wendall
    Wendall - I got the Cath Kidston book for Christmas too and intend to have a go at the bag.
    It's my birthday in January and I fancy a sewing machine for my birthday, I'm currently using an ancient Singer and I'm a bit of a novice at it all, so all advice will be much appreciated. I might start a thread about it
    Originally posted by jollymummy

My machine is ancient i got it on Freecycle but it does do button holes etc on, we will have to compare pictures when we have done our bags, i bet mine is more wonky than yours
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,567Posts Today

7,606Users online

Martin's Twitter