Has anyone tried Effipro Spot on Flea Treatment? - Cheaper version of Frontline?

Options
catlou
catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 30 August 2011 at 8:20PM in Pets & pet care
Hi all!

As the title says I was just wondering has anyone used this I have seen it on the vetuk website:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_505&zenid=aulbugoqrtjjkv5bu7jbec2rc6

I'm currently using Frontline on my dog which seems to work ok for him, I'm assuming if the active ingredient is the same then it's just like buying a generic brand rather than Neurofen say....:o IYKWIM!

Works out cheaper for the one I need £3.60 a tube compared to £4.35 for Frontline. Being a moneysaver seems like a good deal to me? After all every little helps....!:rolleyes:

Anyone tried it?

Cheers :T

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• picklepick
    picklepick Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmmm yes it seems the active ingredient on frontline has been patent protected and now isnt.....

so other companies are free to use it in their products. Cant see why it would be any different to Frontline then. Perhaps mention it to your vet first to see what they think? I'm wary of using products that my vet hasnt recommended for my cats.
    What matters most is how well you walk through the fire
  • chez22
    chez22 Posts: 3,327 Forumite
    Options
    I recently went to get some frontline for my cats and my vets no longer sell it, they sell Effipro instead.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • emlou2009
    emlou2009 Posts: 4,016 Forumite
    Options
    is it the prescription strength frontline its the same as or the over the counter one? as the over the counter one doesnt seem to work any more, it failed on my kitten and my (big fatty) older cat too, they live in different places. on the kitten it worked enough to stop a huge infestation but he still has the odd few on him, and on the older cat it seemed to have no effect whatsoever, it may as well have been from the pet section at your average supermarket. i guess what i am trying to say is, yes its money saving cos its cheaper, but you are probably better off spending a little more on a prescription strength product which will be more MSE in the long run
    Mummy to
    DS (born March 2009)

DD (born January 2012)
  • dawnandpaul
    Options
    Do not buy your flea treatment from crowthers of Wakefield! They took the credit card payment readily enough but did not post out the Frontline flea treatment that we ordered. despite numerous phonecalls and false promises (as well as downright lies) they have not send the order out nor replied to our phone messages left-they even told us to ring back on Sunday when "the person who deals with web sales will be in", suprise suprise....no answer on the Sunday.
    Never again and regret ever dealing with them!
    Be warned!
  • catlou
    First Anniversary
    Options
    emlou2009 wrote: »
    is it the prescription strength frontline its the same as or the over the counter one? as the over the counter one doesnt seem to work any more, it failed on my kitten and my (big fatty) older cat too, they live in different places. on the kitten it worked enough to stop a huge infestation but he still has the odd few on him, and on the older cat it seemed to have no effect whatsoever, it may as well have been from the pet section at your average supermarket. i guess what i am trying to say is, yes its money saving cos its cheaper, but you are probably better off spending a little more on a prescription strength product which will be more MSE in the long run

Hi

I have just phoned up Frontline Customer Service and they said that the frontline that you can buy in Pet Shops & online is exactly the same strength etc. as the prescription one that vet's sell.

So based on this I'm going to order the the Effipro which seems to be the generic version of the said frontline.

Also - Chezz22 - Thanks! If vets are starting to sell it too it must be ok??

Hope that makes sense!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    catlou wrote: »
    Hi

I have just phoned up Frontline Customer Service and they said that the frontline that you can buy in Pet Shops & online is exactly the same strength etc. as the prescription one that vet's sell.

So based on this I'm going to order the the Effipro which seems to be the generic version of the said frontline.

Also - Chezz22 - Thanks! If vets are starting to sell it too it must be ok??

Hope that makes sense!

Trouble is theres a lot of vets reporting frontline is no longer working

But yes whats sold in the shops is the same as the vets, its the frontline combo that you still need a prescription for
  • FRONTLINE® is the world’s leading flea and tick brand. There are two different spot on products that come under the brand umbrella of FRONTLINE. FRONTLINE Spot On® contains fipronil and is licensed as an NFA-VPS medicine, meaning it can be sold by vets, pharmacists and suitably qualified persons. It is this product that is widely available through on-line pharmacies. Fipronil kills adult fleas and ticks.

FRONTLINE Combo® is a prescription only medicine (POM-V) which means it is only available from veterinary surgeons for animals under their care, or at pharmacies against a prescription written by a veterinary surgeon for an animal under his/ her care.

In addition to fipronil, FRONTLINE Combo® also contains S-methoprene. This ingredient sterilises fleas and prevents the development of their eggs, thus providing an added line of protection for your home against flea infestation.
  • Missconduct
    Missconduct Posts: 251 Forumite
    Options
    I've just bought Effipro for the first time, having always previously used Frontline, on the basis that it should be the same product for a cheaper price. I can't comment on its effectiveness as I don't think our dogs had fleas in the first place, but I have noticed that the dogs have a strange chemical smell about them which is still there now, more than a week after using the product. I've never noticed that with Frontline and it does put me off the Effipro. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • catlou
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just bought Effipro for the first time, having always previously used Frontline, on the basis that it should be the same product for a cheaper price. I can't comment on its effectiveness as I don't think our dogs had fleas in the first place, but I have noticed that the dogs have a strange chemical smell about them which is still there now, more than a week after using the product. I've never noticed that with Frontline and it does put me off the Effipro. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hi :)

I have been using Effipro for about 6 months + on the dog and cat I haven't noticed a smell? I used frontline before too, I'm assuming it is as effective as Frontline but they haven't had fleas neither to really test it.

I look at it like, there is no way I would buy myself the branded Neurofen I would always go for the cheaper generic drug of something! So same applies to the animals!! :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • stirlo_2
    stirlo_2 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    hi - effipro isn't a 'generic' version of frontline - its a similar but rival product made by another drugs company (virbac) that happens to be cheaper than frontline
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure