toucan claims are they genuine????

Options
I am new to this site and would really like some help if there is any one out there who can. I have just recieved a telephone call from a company called "toucan claims" who claim to be able to wipe all of my credit card debts and interest paid if the card companies have ever increased my limit or do not have a hard copy of the original credit agreement. I am currently experiencing money problems so obviuosly this sounds fantastic, however they are asking for a £250 upfront payment for registering the claim. Is this to good to be true as it sounds and if i go ahead am i going to have lost £250 that i dont have and still have all my card debts. Has any one any experience of this.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    njd1980 wrote: »
    who claim to be able to wipe all of my credit card debts ..................they are asking for a £250 upfront payment ................Is this to good to be true

2 + 2 = 4 (not 5 !)
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you have money problems, then don' pay another company to do this for you.
    Do the research yourself on sites like this and save £250.
    Also if you don't qualify you won't have lost the money.
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    njd1980 wrote: »
    I have just recieved a telephone call from a company called "toucan claims" who claim to be able to wipe all of my credit card debts

They were probably just reading 'parrot fashion' from a script.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'll get me coat........:confused:
  • laguna_1
    laguna_1 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    i also got a call of these guys today!

250 is a hell of a lot of cash to pay however, however they did say they would offer a 14 day money back guarantee

further they charge 10% commission also, which i wasnt sure on what exactly it would be for

nonetheless i had enough of the sales talk from the guy and ended up leavn it

be good to hear from others also on this one tho
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    dont accept any 'we can wipe out your debts'' scams, because they are all scams.
    post me 10 quid to find out more...
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • j8yba
    j8yba Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, ive also has this phone call and it sounds pretty genuine, im not one to fall for scams though, but the reasons sound genuine, and if the cost is going to come off the card theyre wiping the debt from anyyway, who cares?

So alternatively can someone point me in the direction of where i can find out how to do this on my own for free on this site?

thanks
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    J8yba

Don't do it. They'll get an upfront fee and may never get the debt declared unenforcable (the debts in these cases are never wiped by the way, even if you suceed they are merely legally unenforcable in court which is not the same thing).

If you want to look into doing it yourself you need this thread -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=2060575 but make sure you aware of the implications, read the first few pages in full. If you are currently meeting your minimum payments and have not been defaulted then stopping payments (even if you believe the debt is unenforceable) will result in a default on your credit file which can seriously affect your ability to get credit for up to 6years.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • dtaylor84
    Options
    j8yba wrote: »
    im not one to fall for scams though

No one who falls for a scam thinks they're falling for a scam...
  • j8yba
    Options
    thanks Tixy, ill look into it, from my brief browsal, if I keep up the repayments, surely I cant get a default on the account can i?
  • j8yba
    Options
    dtaylor84 wrote: »
    No one who falls for a scam thinks they're falling for a scam...

Err? What? Thanks for that comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport