PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help pls with different kenwood chef models

Options
leonie_2
leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
edited 21 February 2012 at 8:20PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi everyone.

Ok im a bit confused about the different models in the kenwood range.

I have a new kenwood km001 and I love it but the new ones arent as sturdy so im looking for an old model to do all my donkey work such as grinding and pasta making. This rules out the 701 range straight away as the attachments dont fit those.

So that leaves the 901 range that im desperately trying to track down. (bit expensive on ebay though so looking at car boots/ local paper etc)

However I have seen some 210 and 201 models and I cant find any info about these. Are they like an older version of the km300 and km400 that are about £100 cheaper than the km001? Or are they of a same quality as a 901?

I know the km300 have lesser quality tools than than km001's and thats not what I want.

Gosh I hope thats understandable, I just want to buy the best quality older model. So shall I rule out the 210 and 201?

Thanks for any help, or websites that explain the history of kenwood chefs

Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert: With all the different Kenwood models and attachments that have come out over the years, buying one second hand (or even new) can be confusing, which is why this thread is so great. Users share their knowledge and tips about everything from where to buy Kenwood Chef appliances and attachments cheaply to which models are best for various different functions. Thanks leonie for starting this popular thread back in 2006 and to all who have contributed.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    Right ive found a group called 'we all collect electric mixers' i'll have a look on there and see if I can find out about different models.

The more I look, the more confusing it gets. I've now stumbled across 920's and allsorts :confused:
  • whistler-alison
    Options
    Hi Leonie. I'm also thinking of buying a second hand kenwood chef - did you find out any info and did you buy anything? The alternative is to buy a new one but I keep reading on Ebay that the old ones are better than the new ones but thought that may just be a selling ploy. And there's the price issue. But one would assume that machines that have been going for 20 or 30 years and are still working might be real workhorses. I am leaning towards an A901 rather than a 701 because there seems to be more attachments available. I don't necessarily need anything heavy duty.
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The A901s are an ealier model than the 210, etc. The 901s are much better quality and all the new attachments will still fit. Get one of the black and white ones, it is the earlier version 901 and fanatastically well made.
    :happylove
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    is the 701 a less powerful version of the 901 then? Can you tell the difference if all you want it for is cake mixing? The 901s are going for around £70 on ebay (incl postage). what sort of price would you expect to pay for either a 701 or 901?
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
  • Thistle-down
    First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure if the 701's are less powerful - my a701 says 450 watts and the 901 says 1/3 hp. I haven't been able to tell the difference between the two, they are both strong but I think the flour weight limit on mixing is slightly more for the 901. The A701's were made in the 60's and 70's, so are an earlier model. The 901's were made in the 70's -80's.

The only disadvantage I can think of in buying a 701 instead of a 901 is that the new attachments won't fit (no problem though as there are loads of 701 attachments on ebay and the older attachments are better made anyway) 701's are cheaper - you could probably get one for £30-ish on ebay.

~Lynn;)
  • Tondella
    Options
    Thanks Lynn - you're a goldmine of information!
  • Thistle-down
    First Post
    Options
    I am a bit of a Kenwood fanatic!!! :D

My dh thinks I may have a fetish :p

Let me know if you have any more questions or need any help!!

~Lynn;)
  • whistler-alison
    Options
    thanks for your help. Thinking now might go for a 701 if they are cheaper. The only extra attachments I think I might need are the mincer, slicer and liquidiser and they seem to be pretty much available.
  • Tondella
    Options
    thanks for your help. Thinking now might go for a 701 if they are cheaper. The only extra attachments I think I might need are the mincer, slicer and liquidiser and they seem to be pretty much available.

I was watching the item that you just won! Congratulations! will you post and let me know how the 701 compares to your more recent model?
  • Tondella
    Options

I was watching the item that you just won! Congratulations! will you post and let me know how the 701 compares to your more recent model?

Lynn (or anyone else) - If you find a mixer at a car boot, how can you tell what series/model it is? is it written on the base or anywhere, or does the 901 have a distinctive style I should look out for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business