Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 24th Mar 09, 2:30 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Add your feedback on Mobile Recycler Mobile Phone Xchange
    • 24th Mar 09, 2:30 PM
    Add your feedback on Mobile Recycler Mobile Phone Xchange 24th Mar 09 at 2:30 PM
    This thread has been running a long time. Please see the latest feedback at the end of this thread, not the top

This is a feedback thread on old mobile buying firm

Mobile Phone Xchange

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Was it fast and efficient?
    • Did you get your cash promptly?
    • Did you have any problems?
    • Did it pay what it said it would?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Last edited by MSE Archna; 11-01-2011 at 7:10 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • seroxat_chick
    • By seroxat_chick 26th Mar 09, 9:27 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    seroxat_chick
    • 26th Mar 09, 9:27 AM
    • 26th Mar 09, 9:27 AM
    Using the new tool on here, I found that these would pay me 25 for my old Samsung U600. This wasn't the most cashback offered, but there was 3.70 on offer through Quidco, which did make it the best return overall.

My Quidco tracked the next day at 4.00, so I shall report back at the figure I get credited with, when it's paid.

I received a text immediately from MPX, stating that they would send me my 25 within 10 working days of receiving my phone.

I received my pre-paid jiffy bag two days later and posted my phone. Maybe foolishly, I didn't get any proof of posting.

One week on, and I have just received another text from them saying that they have got my old phone and my 25 will be in my account within 10 working days.

I shall let you know when it arrives in my account.

So far, I'm quite impressed with the service.
    • seroxat_chick
    • By seroxat_chick 31st Mar 09, 7:33 AM
    • 297 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    seroxat_chick
    • 31st Mar 09, 7:33 AM
    • 31st Mar 09, 7:33 AM
    My 25 arrived in my account this morning, so the whole process took two weeks
    • seroxat_chick
    • By seroxat_chick 5th Apr 09, 3:53 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 958 Thanks
    seroxat_chick
    • 5th Apr 09, 3:53 PM
    • 5th Apr 09, 3:53 PM
    Just checked my Quidco account and 4 has been received from MPX already
  • jimtur
    • 28th Apr 09, 9:40 AM
    • 28th Apr 09, 9:40 AM
    I sent my Nokia N70 to Mobile Phone Xchange as they offered the best cash price for it (42), I asked for the money as a cheque, rather than paid direct to my bank.

The freepost padded envelope arrived two days later and I posted it back the next day (obtaining a proof of postage).

I received an email a few days later to say the phone had been received, processed and that a cheque was on the way.

To my surprise the cheque (for the full amount) arrived two days after that. They had said a cheque could take up to ten working days.

The whole process took just over a week and half. Very impressed.
  • ianhunt75
    • 30th Apr 09, 2:34 PM
    • 30th Apr 09, 2:34 PM
    i was unimpressed with the service i received from mobilephone exchange.
    the process began well, i received letter & jiffy bag within 3 days, posted phone to them special delivery 2 days later. i opted for the fast payout bank transfer option which means i should receive payment in 3 days after they have checked my phone which they promise to do within 72 hours.
    i waited 10 days, nothing. i phoned them twice with no answer one afternoon, the next day i phoned three times finally somebody answered but was then put on hold for 5 minutes while they tried to find my details.
    the person i spoke to was trying to be helpful but seemed a bit unsure about what they were doing but agreed i should have been paid by now as my phone had been checked.
    when i asked for my payment i was told the supervisor that deals with payments had already left for the day (3pm) so it would have to wait until monday.
    i phoned monday morning & was told my payment would be authorised that day....it took another week!!
    all in all the process took just under a month when it should have been about a week & a half tops!!
    will not use again.
  • meriva99
    • 7th Aug 09, 11:04 AM
    • 7th Aug 09, 11:04 AM
    I posted my phone on July 29th special delivery which was signed for on the 30th. By the end of the 31st I still hadnt recieved a text confirming reciept so I contacted them and was advised due to the postal strike there was a small delay and to call back Monday if I still hadnt had a text. No news Monday so I called again, told to wait another 48 hours, called Wednesday told to wait another 48 hours. I was obvousliy quite unhappy about being fobbed off so I requested that I speak to a manager and was told I would be called back, I did ask them to send me my phone back but they told me there would be a charge! It is now another 48 hours since I last spoke to them and no contact. I have tried calling and the answer machine was on, I think I may have seen the last of my phone and I won't be seeing any money, any ideas how I get my phone back or the money?
  • acuteera
    • 20th Aug 09, 5:29 PM
    • 20th Aug 09, 5:29 PM
    Some recent feedback can't hurt.

Sent off four phones yesterday for the first time having previously created an order for each over the past week but I thought it'd be better if I sent them all together, which I did via RM Special Delivery.

I logged on today to check the status and at some point over the past few hours (as I'd checked previously already) each moved from "confirmed" to "accepted". I've not yet received any texts other than the initial confirmations but I have no reason to suspect payment isn't forthcoming. I'll update this post when payment (bacs) has been received.

---------- Received texts this morning confirming that payment for the correct amount is being processed.

---------- Payment turned up this morning according to my bank, would definitely use MPX again.
    Last edited by acuteera; 25-08-2009 at 4:39 PM.
  • acuteera
    • 25th Sep 09, 1:14 PM
    • 25th Sep 09, 1:14 PM
    Sent a couple more phones this week, confirmation of receipt was slower than before (same day v. third day) but according to the emails they've accepted all phones and found no faults which is good as one of the phones had a relatively bad battery cover and the stylus kept falling out.

---------- Received payment today. (BACS, >£500)
    Last edited by acuteera; 01-10-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    • chistery
    • By chistery 7th Oct 09, 6:48 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    chistery
    Sent back my phone on Monday night, using the freepost address as it wasn't high value. They accepted it at full value on the Saturday, and the money was in my account on the Wed.

Possibly a bit slow to accept the phone, but with the post problems, a freepost envelope probably wasn't delivered that speedily anyway. With Quidco cashback and no need to buy a jiffy bag yourself, I'd use these again.

Edit: Cashback from quidco received the next day too!
    Last edited by chistery; 08-10-2009 at 8:04 AM. Reason: quidco comment
  • kieranfox
    MobilePhoneXchange - SCAMMERS
    I sent my phone off to MobilePhonXchange after it was recommended by MSE. Sent it Registered Post then received an email from them abotu a week later stating they hadn't received my phone. I called them and pointed out that I had proof of delivery (on the Royal Mail website) but they were reluctant to do anything.

Looking around on the internet, it appears THEY ARE A RIP OFF COMPANY. Check out consumeractiongroup.co.uk (sorry I can't post links as I am a new user).

I am now waiting with baited breath to see if I get my money, but I would avoid these people at all costs. Their Customer Service is atrocious and is appears they seem to screw a lot of people over in this way.
  • CocoPopsLover
    I contacted them on a friday, got back on monday, sent it back monday via special, got a txt tueday and got money on Friday, they were pretty good to me so i find it hard to believe they are a rip off compnay!

I was lucky then I guess!
    'Sometimes you just need to keep your mouth shut'

• worldwide3rider
    on the website does anyone know if "confirmed" means they have the phones, I havent had a text as I was daft enough to use my outgoing number
  • ehyouwhat
    Hi all,

I am a new member to the site, having joined specifically to post about mobilephonexchange.com.

I had a used iPhone 3G 8GB that I no longer used or needed, so decided to send it away to a recycling company. A quick look on a phone recycling comparison site showed that mobilephonexchange offered the highest amount for my handset (175), so I signed up with them last Wednesday, electing to receive my payment via BACS transfer. I received a letter and jiffy bag on the Friday.

The handset itself was fully charged, cleaned, wrapped in tissue and then placed in the jiffy bag - incidentally the phone itself was in excellent condition with no marks on the screen whatsoever, and only very minimal scratching to the back casing. It was posted on Monday via Special Delivery, at a cost to me of 5.40, and tracking showed that it was delivered before 1pm on Tuesday.

The MPX website allows you to track your order status online. I've checked this several times a day, and yesterday (Thursday) morning the status changed from 'Confirmed' to 'Received'...but nothing else has happened.

Now according to the terms that mobilephonexchange set, payment would be made within 72 hours of receipt of the handset. That time came - and went -at 1pm this afternoon, with no communication from MPX at all. I tried emailing them yesterday and got no reply, so today at 1pm I decided to give them a call.

The phone was answered within five minutes by a man called "Mark", who told me my handset had been tested yesterday (Thursday) and needed to be "resynced". I asked why there was a delay, stating their own term that the payment would be made within 72 hours of receipt, and he told me that there were sometimes problems and that I should wait to hear back from them. I asked to speak to someone who could help more, he placed me on hold, and he returned a few minutes later to say that he would email the workshop and ask them to resync the handset today as a matter of urgency. I said that once the testing was completed I would be contacted via text or email and advised of "the correct value"...this is already ringing alarm bells in my head, as I know the phone was in excellent fully-working condition when sent away.

I shall keep you all informed on how things go but, suffice to say, I am already less than impressed at the time this is taking (despite their own terms and conditions) and the lack of communication.

Edited to add: I've just checked the MPX website again and, just over an hour after my phone call to them, my order status has been changed to 'Accepted'. One would hope that this is a good sign.

I should also point out that the comparison website I used to get prices for the handset, on which I based my decision to use MPX, no longer lists them amongst the choices. Odd.
    Last edited by ehyouwhat; 04-12-2009 at 2:32 PM.
  • acuteera
    Only when the status changes to "accepted" can you be sure that they've received the phone(s).

They were fine for me not too long ago (as explained ^) but I'm going to have to check out any negative comments before using them again.
  • pattie-supper
    Sent them two phones both in what I thought was perfect condition. They tested them and deducted 7 from one phone as they said it had a broken battery cover! Not being able to prove this one way or another had to accept their verdict. Probably about 2 weeks from sending until cash was in bank account so guess that was OK.
  • demonmadcat
    I chose to use mobilephone xchange through the valuer.
    I got a price for my phone (brand new in box - unwanted upgrade) and got sent a jiffy bag for it.
    I sent it special delivery, cost to myself, and elected for a cheque to be sent to me.
    I heard nothing for 3 days, so sent them an email. They said they had not received my phone.
    I emailed back saying it ha been sent special delivery, and magically it appeared.
    I then received an email saying that the box had been damaged in transit, and they would not be giving me the 'new' price, but now it was only worth the 'used' price..
    As I had no way to prove this, and not wanting to pay again to get the phone back, I had no choice but to accept this.

I have another upgrade due soon, but definitely wont be using mobilephone xchange again...
  • Vegas07
    I posted my old Nokia to them two weeks ago, they quoted me 33. There was nothing wrong with it apart from minor cosmetic damage to the case, the screen was fine and I had used the phone until the day before I posted it off.

Today I received a later with a cheque for 7 attached stating it was a revised offer due to "water damage"! The phone has never been near water!

I feel completely ripped off, am going to give them a call when I have more time but I'm worried they'll try and fob me off because it's my word against theirs. And it's not worth me paying 10 to get the phone back when it was only worth 33 in the first place...

Any advice??

• Bats2009
    Unfortunately i used the same company and had a similar problem, i.e sending off phone and being given a whole lot of BS about damage on the phone that doesn't actually exist. You should ask that the phone be re-evaluated (Magically with my phone a re-evaluation made the screen miraculously begin 'working' again - not that it was ever broken) un happy with the revised quote i demanded evidence of what they described and eventually (best part of a month and many emails) i did get the full value of the phone. Be persistent, if you know the phone is not damaged then keep pressuring them, they'll cave in eventually.
  • Vegas07
    Thank you, I am in no rush for the money but I just want what I was originally quoted under their agreement that the phone is in working order - which it is.

I have also replied to you in more detail in the other topic!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,912Posts Today

7,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin