PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 23rd October 2017

Options
Natty68
Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 26 October 2017 at 10:11PM in Old style MoneySaving

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Ok here goes this week!

Manic Monday - Kooking Kitchen and Dining Room Dalliance...
Level One..

Open the windows and let in the light
Clean floors
Level Two
Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces
Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front. Compost any manky looking veggies..we must all do our bit for the environment!
Wipe dining table.. and check the underside.. (clean table cloth if necessary)
Level Three...
Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
Wipe and replace all those small appliances.. kettle, toaster etc
Clean cupboard door fronts and fronts of appliances
Clean oven if you didn't do it last week - don't keep putting it off!!!
Eeking out those Extras
  • Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
  • Scrub down the woodwork.. skirtings, door frames etc
  • Put WM's/DW's on a 'clean' cycle.. make sure those doorseals and filters are clear.. soda crystals and white vinegar get rid of unpleasant smells and germs.. Believe me they need doing regularly!!
  • MAD half hour if you have the time or engery....
  • 30 minutes ironing!!!

Twinkling Tuesday~ Luscious Living Room, Happy Hallway and Sunshine Stairs
Level One..

Vacuum floors and sofas
Level Two
Dusting, even if around everything
Remove clutter making sure stairs especially are safe
Clean TV, other electricals and cabinets
Level Three...
Wipe light switches, sockets (make sure they are not switched on!!) and banister
Clean any other glass like mirrors, pictures etc
Tidy shoes, coats and bags .. wash any that need washing. See if there are any that don't fit, past their best or just plain uncomfy which could leave the house!
Extra Mission:
  • MAD half hour...
  • Paperwork clearance.. spend 15 minutes minimum sorting through those piles of paper.
  • Vacuum under furniture you can manage to move without hurting yourself. Please do not attempt if injured or pregnant..that is an order!!!!!
  • Clean a window or two.
  • Get yourself a bag or box, go around collecting things that are not in the place they should be, then put them back where they should be, or better still give them to their owners to put away themselves
  • Groom the hairy pets or children!!!!

Wacky Wednesday ~ Bedroom of Duvet-nia & Landing of Loveliness
Level One..

Check fire alarms are working
Remove and wash bed linen.
Level Two...
Dust surfaces & make sure no cobwebs.. (make sure to do the bed base.. I won't tell you what I was cultivating in mine last week!!!!)
Vacuum mattress before replacing with fresh linen
15 minutes floordrobe clearance
Level Three...
Vacuum floors in bedroom and on landing
Sort one area of clothes or linen storage making sure only what should be in there is, anything that's had it's day or doesn't belong there is removed
Extra tasks list, as usual choose one or more
  • 37 fling boogie time, time for that midweek fling, go on grab a bag and clear that clutter
  • Sort through someone wardrobe.. what can you fling?
  • Clean windows in these rooms

Thrilling Thursday ~ Bountiful Bathroom and Stupendous Study/Pc Area
Level One..

Clean floors in these rooms (even if it is around the clutter)
Level Two...
Clean baths, toilets and sinks
Clear any clutter from desk
Dust PC and desk and wipe off those cup rings!! (baby wipes are fantastic for this!!)
Wipe keyboard, house phone and mouse (these usually have more germs on than your toilet so important)..
Level Three...
Clear clutter from floor
Wipe down tiles in bathroom
Clean shower screen/curtain/bath mats if you have one/if required
Clean the brushes/dust box/filters on the vacuum cleaner!!!! .. make sure they are completely dry before using it though.. I don’t want anyone electrocuted!!
Extra mission:
  • Wipe the skirtings, door and window frames in these rooms
  • Wipe down 2 doors.. room doors.. both sides
  • Sort a wardrobe or part of, a drawer or set of drawers making sure it has what needs to be in it and any 'extras' are put where they should be and anything no longer needed is rehomed.

Friday - those frightening Friday kids rooms and spare rooms
Level One...

Vacuum the floor, even if it's just where you can see
Level Two..
Clear away anything that isn't in it's place, clothes, toys, books etc
Dusting.. all those shelves and flat fluffy surfaces!! Don’t forget the light shade!!
Level Three..
Strip beds and replace with fresh linen .. check if duvets need freshening up too!!
Sort through a cupboard/chest of drawers and get the clothes out which are no longer wearable, too small or out of season!
Wipe any sticky marks off walls and doors
Extra Task List
  • Wash a set of curtains, nets or throw
  • Time for the Friday Flylady Fling, in the toy box!!!! aim for 27.. if no toy box you’ll have to choose another area!
  • 30 minutes ironing
Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️

Comments

• YORKSHIRELASS
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks Natty. Did a MAD task today, filing and sorting a pile of papers that have been lurking in my office so pleased with that.

Not looking forward to the week really. Need to book some holidays I think. Swapping my days around so will be out all day tomorrow but will try and do some of the jobs on the list.

Off to pack lunches soon and get ready for morning. Have got stew prepped for slow cooker and gym bag packed already.
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Options
    Just a head's up I've popped the Christmas Card details up on the MSE Flyladies Facebook thread... Yep it's that time of year again...lol

So feel free to head over for those that want to join again :D
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Natty - after a stupidly busy week with negligible flying I am in. And thanks for making it the kitchen. I have managed a S&S only in there today as I have been to the opening of my neice's new cafe.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't want to do the kitchen.. it's always the kitchen on a Monday.. I need to do the girls room.. my bathroom is tidy, the kitchen is bearable and the middle and front rooms are ok I guess.. I have ... *drumroll purlease!!!* ... emptied a tesco crate full of DVDs .. they were picked up... and put in the bin.. in true Piggy style I decided the box has been there 2 years untouched so I doubt we need the stuff in it.... the children salvaged a Willow disc so watched that before bed.. but the rest are gone.. *FFFLLIIIINNNGGGGG* ... Why does that feel so good??

OH home, 2 girls in the bath waiting for him when he got in.. I'm making coffee for him can you tell?? :p
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • froddington
    froddington Posts: 6,697 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the thread Natty. I'll aim to do a bit tomorrow but I'm having a cinema day with Mum and then need to pack as I'll be away from Tuesday. On Wednesday, Granddad's grave will be rededicated with a headstone bearing his name :j:(:T

FFP - good to have you back and pleased to hear things are looking up for you and P xx

Manic Monday - Kooking Kitchen

Level One..

Clean floors

Level Two

Level Three...

Eeking out those Extras
    Empty carp from car
    Cinema!
    Lunch out!
    Cinema!
    Clean out ratties' cages
    Pack!
    "There's only one way of life and that's your own" - Levellers

"I'm feeling like a Monday but someday I'll be Saturday night" - Bon Jovi
  • funfairprincess
    Options
    I'm in, thanks for the thread xxx

Will get stuck into the kitchen when I get in tomorrow. Need to do a supermarket shop on the way home as I didn't have time today.
    DD has decided she's hungry so off to make her the quickest thing I can find!

Night all xxx

Manic Monday - Kooking Kitchen and Dining Room Dalliance...
    Level One..
    Clean floors

Level Two
    Sort fridge bringing what needs using soon to the front. Compost any manky looking veggies..we must all do our bit for the environment!
    Wipe dining table.. and check the underside.. (clean table cloth if necessary)

Level Three...
    Dust any extra furniture in dining area, checking for cobwebs on way round
    Clean oven if you didn't do it last week - don't keep putting it off!!!

Eeking out those Extras
    Wipe window sills and clean windows in these rooms
    Scrub down the woodwork.. skirtings, door frames etc
    Put WM's/DW's on a 'clean' cycle.. make sure those doorseals and filters are clear.. soda crystals and white vinegar get rid of unpleasant smells and germs.. Believe me they need doing regularly!!
    MAD half hour if you have the time or engery....
    30 minutes ironing!!
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm sort of in but don't seem to contribute much. Back in the swing of working and luckily for me, Mr N does a lot of flying now he's retired - maybe I should back out and let him join the threads.
    A reasonable amount of non-listed flying recently: clearing out the greenhouse now all tomatoes and cucumbers harvested although still some peppers ripening.
    Garage now very tidy and decluttered - just in time for Mr N's winter project of an old motor bike (currently 1 frame and 7 large boxes) to clutter it up again. Still it will give him a hobby in the winter weather, and making room for it was a great incentive for decluttering the garage.
    I'm back into the routine of trying to keep up with writing up assessment reports, working too late then sleeping badly and not waking up early enough. Must try and break that. Also a bit behind on my running program, having finished the 9 week course (over about 12 weeks) I had an argument with the iPod and - although it is no excuse - this, high winds and the bad sleeping haven't encouraged me to go out and run. However, tomorrow we are going to the tip, supermarket and charity shop so I'm going to investigate a new MP3 player.

Natty I'm not on the facebook group so can you add me to the Xmas card list please?
    Sorry to hear about your recent events Funfair
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • atypicalblonde
    Options
    I'm posting from Spain so won't be in until we get back on Thursday :)

But wanted to say thanks for the lists, big hugs to FFP and also please can someone add me to the FB fly lady group so I can get involved with Christmas cards? Not sure who is on there most but I'll PM my real name to someone if that's ok?

Have done some vague flying actually, half the holiday clothes I brought with us are years old (Pre kids) don't fit quite right so I have taken to Spanish chazzer! Also binned a load of knickers that sit just under my mummy tummy therefore don't flatter at all!

Where is Bossy? Hope she's ok
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 October 2017 at 10:18AM
    Options
    please can someone add me to the FB fly lady group so I can get involved with Christmas cards?

atb, I have emailed Natty and asked her to add you to the list - you gave me your details when we were emailing about PoA. Hope you're enjoying better weather in Spain than we have here!

Narc0, don't you even think of disappearing off this list!!!!! I want to know when the fairies visit your garden!

FFP, it's good to have you back. Sorry you've had a difficult year, but it sounds like you made a good decision. Congratulations on your job news :T

Pigpen, you are so far ahead with your gift list that you'll fall over yourself coming back, IYSWIM! Well done on the flingage. Inspired by you, atb and Narc0, this morning I have turfed out the never-used-because-they're-the-wrong-size/shape/colour pot plant holders to take to the CS, along with some useful packaging and a hanging basket which is so big that with the combined weight of the compost and plants it nearly brought down our rose arch last spring!

Plans for today:
    [STRIKE]- S&S kitchen[/STRIKE] - done
    [STRIKE]- S&S bathroom[/STRIKE] - done
    - strip bed - done
    - WMx2
    - take Rosie for a 20 min walk
    - tidy study and clear some other paperwork
    - reading and notes
    - lunch (leftover parsnip soup)
    - to market town: drop-off bits at CS, go to M&S (last day for 20% off), buy GF flour
    - bake GF apple cake and possibly also brownies for Old Wives' Group
    - take Rosie for a longer walk
    - cook and eat tea with DH (who is spending most of this week on the Ghost Trains)
    - re-make our bed so that I can fall into it when I get home later
    - go to Old Wives' meeting

I'll still not feeling 100% after the sinusitis, so this may all go to pot! The house needs a proper clean this week, before our charity AGM on Wednesday and DGS3+4's sleepover on Saturday, and I'll enlist DH's help :A for flying downstairs tomorrow morning after SW and upstairs on Friday morning when we need to make up DGSs' beds

Hope everyone who's on half term holiday (or just working as usual) has a good week, and that the second half of term flies past for all who've already gone /sent children back to school x
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Iona.. not really, we have 2 paydays before christmas and.. 63 sleeps? 20th December OH gets paid so I have to brave Tesco then.. I hate it! I have got fruit/veg sorted though that is delivered so it is just tins, basics and a few biscuitsy/cakey extras for the 26th etc I will need.

So much screaming from the children at the school out the back today!! I don't mind children playing but this is constant high pitched screaming and has been ongoing for about an hour so far.

WM x3
    TD x1
    2 loads on the line
    OH's lunch made
    Everyone sent to places of education (OH included)
    Twinkle boofed and down for a nap

I am going to sort some bits from the back room to go in the shed and I will try to get it vacuumed before she wakes up. I need to create enough room in there that it will take 5 minutes to empty to get the new floor down.. it is next on my Toots list.. it will cost about £120 and I have 20p lol.. I've had a totally open to the elements chimney for 4 maybe 5 years.. it is time to fix it up!! I've also have the new carpet for a year and it will be ruined. Anyway.. pee.. tea.. fling..

Aiming to be done by 12 and do nothing all afternoon!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts