Options

Comments

• angelic_devil
    Options
    Provider: MBNA (Virgin Credit Card)
    Amount Reclaimed: N/A
    Amount they paid: £403
    The story:
    I wrote a letter to MBNA back in July 2007 asking for copies of all my statements as I was missing quite a few of them. I used the template from this site and enclosed a £10 cheque, but never got a reply. I totally forgot about it until 3 weeks ago, and gave them a call to find out why I hadn't received my statements. The lady on the phone was really helpful, she said that my letter had been logged but it was unclear why they hadn't been sent, and she would post them out to me. She asked if I wanted them to reclaim my charges with and I said yes, so she said there was no need to send a letter in and she'd put a note on my account saying I'd reclaimed, which would go in place of the letter. She said I'd have an answer from them in 28 days. 2 weeks later I had a letter from them offering me £403, which is the difference between the £12 they should have charged each time and the £30 they had been charging me up until summer 2006. They told me the cheque would follow in the next 10 days. If I'd reclaimed the full amount for the charges it would have been £979 but I'm happy with this and will cash the cheque!
  • Bugalugs
    Bugalugs Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Provider: Capital One
    Amount Reclaimed: £638.14

Initial Offer: £138
    Amount they paid: £705.38
    The story: Initial offer and payment was £138 which was difference between actual charge and £12 charge that they should have raised. They then refused further so completed FOS forms at the start of December. They were really good and today have recieved a letter from them advising that although Capital One in no way accept that their charges were unfair, to avoid an official investigation they are paying me a further £557.38. Hooray - just signing the form to return to the FOS to state that I accept this and then look forward to putting that money to good use!
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to the forum as without knowing other people's experiences I wouldn't have any idea of the likely outcome and would not have pursued (although I have to say that it was really no hassle at all - the form was all copy and paste from the excellent online guides)
  • YEOSAL
    YEOSAL Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Provider: Capital One
    Amount Reclaimed: £45.00
    Amount they paid: £56.00
    The story:
    Sad, but I rarely throw anything away so had all of my statements and only had two charges for late payments (£20 each). Only small amount, but its still my money so 1st letter sent to reclaim plus interest.

Letter back saying they would pay difference between £20 and £12. Dont know where they got there figures from but I am happy to accept their offer!
    PPI Reclaimed -
    DFS £345.70 :D
    Credit Card Charge Successes x 4 :beer: :money:
  • ric_flair
    Options
    Logged a claim for £395 in December with MBNA, they sent a cheque for £91 within 2 weeks.
    I then wrote a further letter saying I want the full £395, and they sent a cheque for £395, telling me I can also keep the £91.

Well pleased with the turn around time and payout of MBNA - cheers!

PS this was for an account that was closed 1 year ago.
  • SEE
    SEE Posts: 722 Forumite
    Options
    Have also put this on the Halifax thread.

I'm gonna take the money:j

Halifax Credit Card have just written offering me £1,082.85:j A few pounds short of my request, but who cares. Thank you :money: Martin:money: Hugs hugs hugs:money: This will cancel all the debt on my credit card. I have the card in my hand with a pair of scissors, snip snip, I'm now debt freeeeeeeeeeee:T :j

Will put the process here as my signature is now to long for the forum allowance:

Halifax Cur Account-Sent request on 5/10/07
    Refused me a list of my charges on 20/11/07 and stated my letter of request had been filed for 12 months.

Called FOS on 23/11/07 who will give the Halifax 7 days to respond.

27/11/07 Halifax responded, letter sent claiming £726.41

Halifax Cre Card- Request-5/10/07
    Responded-14/11/07

Letter claiming £1,108.57-23/11/07

Response 14/12/07 they're looking into it and, will respond within 14 days.

Responded with letter on 8/1/08 with offer of £372

Sent letter on 17/1/08 declined their offer, and requested full amount.

Halifax responded on 16/2/08 They refunded-£1,082.85
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • nova
    nova Posts: 351 Forumite
    Options
    Amount Claimed: £568.84Amount Offered: £183.66 (including interest)This was after 2 letters,the 2nd, (the one threatening court,) they paid the difference between old and new charge, wondrering whether now to be brave and start court proceedings for the rest. This is my first victory of many claims so l am quite chuffed to get any sort of result. So a big thanks to Martin and all the advice l have been given on this site x
  • johnnymac1875
    Options
    Egg
    Claimed 300 + 120 interest
    Paid (nearly) 420

Having chased egg using the site's letters I had received the usual knock back ~ offer of difference for part £68~ so rather than the court route I used Ombudsman

This took just over 2 month to produce result ~ offer to settle in full rather than investigation.

Just waiting for money now (& hopefully barclaycard to go same way)

Don't give up and dont wait for bank a/c case to rumble on ~ use the ombudsman for free!!
  • pezzyfurf
    Options
    Provider: Egg
    Amount Reclaimed: £129
    Amount they paid: £129
    The story:
    The process was very easy. I wrote and asked for my statements, I received them with in 10 days. I put all the charges in the calculator and wrote another letter (using template) and claimed for all charges plus interest.<O:p</O:p
    I got a standard letter back from egg saying 'no', the charges are fair, look at your terms and conditions etc etc. <O:p</O:p
    I replied with the 3rd letter (again using MSE template) and got a response within one week saying they will pay the full amount. A result! :j
    <O:p</O:p
    The entire process took around 2 months.
    One the down side Egg wrote to me last week and told me they were closing my account. I can only assume it is because I have claimed these charges back. However I got another credit card before I started the process just in case. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p
    This was a 'test case' for me. It’s the first time I have claimed anything back. I am now going to claim from Barclaycard and Halifax
    Thank you all at moneysavingexpert for the templates and advice!:T

If you have charges go get 'em back!<O:p</O:p

• johnsmiffy
    Options
    Hi everybody,

Thought I would shout from the roof-tops that I have been successful in getting a great refund from the Bank of Scotland today.

Claimed £195 + £69.67 interest.

Initial offer good will guesture of £87 - phoned, and asked if they could do better! Followed up with a letter.

Received a call today asking if I would accept as a "guesture of good will" £195 + £69.67 = the full amount!!!

Yippee. Paperwork in the post.

Thanks Martin, and everybody else who has posted. I would have given-up at the first hurdle if I hadn't read through the posts.

Now for the others - bring them on...
  • volfram
    volfram Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    provider: BARCLAYCARD (LITTLEWOODS VISA)
    31/10/07 1st letter sent
    09/11/07 letter back offer of £96
    18/11/07 2nd letter sent ask for £300
    21/11/07 letter back looking into complaint
    04/12/07 all charges paid back into account plus interest!!
    TOTAL OF CHARGES £372 WITH INTEREST £425.29
    could'nt believe it all from sending template letters found on this website
    don't give up if I can do this so can you
    :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills