Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spinner, It sounds like your flight was not the one affected by the weather, it was the previous flight. It was the knock on which affected you.

This is a quick glimpse from Vaubans superb guide which you need to read.

But in the context of weather, for example, it is
    clear from the Regulation that meteorological issues must affect the flight concerned (rather than earlier flights), and similar arguments were advanced in the Finnair judgment (see below). The best argument, however, for dealing with “knock ons” remains Wallentin, however: the greater the gap between time of the original incident and your flight, the harder it is for the airline to show that they took “all reasonable measures” to prevent the delay.

You should ask BA for a refund of any loss you incurred as a result of the delay but this is not directly covered by EC261/2004.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    You should ask BA for a refund of any loss you incurred as a result of the delay but this is not directly covered by EC261/2004.

the airline is not responsible for consequential losses.
    " missed our non refundable onwards flights and hotel for the night costing us around 400 pounds. " would come from travel insurance, if covered, as the contract with BA ceased when they delivered them to the airport in New York...separate flights and hotel were not part of the contract
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2014 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying Caz, just my ham fisted way of saying that they may also be awarded some Avios points etc if they ask. Don't ask, don't get.

I wouldn't even suggest it if it were Jet2 or Monarch but BA do seem to be much more customer focused in many cases.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • spinner_2
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    the airline is not responsible for consequential losses.
    " missed our non refundable onwards flights and hotel for the night costing us around 400 pounds. " would come from travel insurance, if covered, as the contract with BA ceased when they delivered them to the airport in New York...separate flights and hotel were not part of the contract
    Just to clarify we have not asked BA for consequential loss compensation only delay compensation under the EU rules.
  • Barry71
    Options
    Is there anyone else making a claim against BA for the delay to flight BA2156 on the 11th/12th July this year.
    It was delayed and I have put in a claim and I have been offered €300 per passenger as they say it was only delayed less than 4 hours, when I questioned this they said the flight was delayed by 242 minutes which is over 4 hours. When I questioned this they changed it to a delay of 238 minutes.
    How can you prove them wrong?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Barry71 - should have posted here after reading Vauban's guide > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384701
  • lizzylol
    Options
    Just thought I'd let people know how my claim case had gone.

Sent first letter off 5th December, got an email saying there is a delay with handling customer service enquiries so they would be unable to get back within 14 days (at the point I was thinking this will go the usual process of dragging it out!).

Got 2 emails on New Years Eve, one stating that for me to handle my partners claim they need permission, and another email that I couldn't believe- straightforward apology and the entitlement to 1200EUR compensation.

It really was that simple.

The letter I orginally sent was the template letter edited a bit, and added in the recent Huzar vs Jet2.com ruling.

Overall, hats off to BA for dealing with it so quickly. I thought this would take months and months and likely also a NWNF company to claim.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I had two issues yesterday. Booked online with BA LGW-MCO outbound and back via Philadelphia and Heathrow.

Problem 1 on the MCO- Philly leg (US Airways) unable to check in online as synching issue.( flight had a numbering change some months prior) arrived at airport 4 hrs early and spent 2.5 hrs at the checking desk as US Airways could not check us in and there were other passengers with similar problems. Flight was oversold, and I was wait listed but did get on, in Economy, was booked in First. Hubby's ticket was ok. We had called BA the day before on the advice of US Airways and BA reissued the tickets, however these were still wrong, the main issue then being no 1st seat for me

Secondly BA0066 arrived into Heathrow 3hrs 20 late on second leg of journey, as it had set off but then had to fly back to Philly as there was a reading of fuel leak from Left engine. This was in fact just a faulty reading, not a faulty plane, although I do note the plane was back on service that night after another technical issue a few days earlier) We spent 3 hrs on ground on airplane and problem was fixed. Was not our day for flying clearly!

Question, should I deal with both aspects I.e the downgrading and the delay on the one letter to BA - their incorrect ticketing did cause the problems on the US Airways plane - or do I need to separate the two issues?
  • janetandroy4748
    Options
    I would like to know if anyone on here, who have had their claim accepted, have actually received any money. we too have had a claim accepted, standard e-mails requesting bank details, then nothing. they have had this information for 4 weeks, and no money. apologetic e-mails but still no money. not good enough.
  • Invalidation
    Options
    Could anyone point me to the correct address for BA for the Court Case I am compiling please. I have address for their Csutomer relations department but surely one must use the main company address when completing the County Court for N1 ?

After 2 months of to-ing and fro-ing with BA's Customer Relations and them offering me €100 which I refused I think its time for legal action. Ive sent them a LBA so unless they sort things Im taking them to court
    Thanks
    The DWP = Legally kicking the Disabled when they are down.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback