What to do when a partner/spouse dies.

Options

Comments

• katierose
    katierose Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    I second this. We are all told that there only two certainties in life and taxes are already covered on MSE. Like the majority I suspect, when we have an impending issue to solve we start here and, surprisingly, there is not a board dealing with this massive issue. Not only is there a financial issues to be resolved, but emotional ones of course.

In 90 minutes time, I am having to go to the hospital to register the death of my son who was stillborn on Monday. This was my first child and I have never even been to a funeral before. I really don't have a clue and neither does my wife. Can we somehow change this so that others in similar situations have a better understanding of the trials we all have to face?

I am so sorry to read about your baby being stillborn this happened to me in december 1996 at 32wks ,deepest sympathy to you and your wife.
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • jayne_just_learning
    Options
    The huge consensus of opinion is that you should make a will which I totally agree with - I would however say be careful of how you do it. The pack you might get from the paper shop might sound cost effective but if your will isn't valid (e.g. witnessed correctly, updated after marriage or children etc) then you might find you are in no better situation. Especially if you have tax on your estate - get it done properly by a will writer or a solicitor.

My Mum died last April and we did at least know that it was going to happen so had a chance to talk about some of the issues. She did not have a will but as her personal estate was so small I did not have to go for probate but I can tell you it was still a big job notifying everyone. Because she had lots of debts I got 6 copies of the death certificate but with hindsight this was too many and 3 would have been enough as people were in our case very quick to return them.

We discussed her funeral arrangements and after 50 years of occassionally attending a C of E church she decided she'd revert back to her childhood persuasion of the Baptist church and that she wanted to be buried whereas my Dad was convinced she'd want to be cremated. It might be a hard subject to raise with your nearest and dearest but far better when you're racked with grief to know that you're following their wishes not just guessing.

A bereavement is not the time to start shopping around for a funeral director so if you are really seriously organised do it now when you don't need it. Our minister recommended one to us so we happily went with his suggestion and were pleased. Without this I would just have gone to the most well known local undertaker and probably paid a lot more.

The whole situation made me realise that aside from our close family and the friends that are local, I really didn't know who my Mum (and Dad's) friends are. As my Dad was still around he was ok with this but it made me tell him to get himself sorted out for the inevitable day when he will pass on. And for me too - I have been split up with my ex for 8 years and with my new partner for only 1 so there are a whole host of casual friends that neither them or my children would be sure about contacting. As we are so close to Christmas why not dig out your Christmas card list and use this as a starting point for a list of who to be notified on a personal basis.

Be aware that it is maybe preferable/necessary to make specific appointments to register a death or see the undertaker.

Condolences to all who are reading this because they have lost someone.
  • MJay
    MJay Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dear maggie510
    Just in case someone needs the information in a hurry, if you put "What to do when someone dies" into Google, it takes you straight throught to the Direct Government site with the same name and information on line.
    :rotfl: Older and growing
  • vespagirl69
    Options
    I became widowed at the age of 27, (8 years ago in March) suddenly due to an RTA. It was a nightmare. My husband was military and I was informed by the Army he had made no will therefore died intestate. (I do not believe the Army). Sorting out the bills, mortgage etc was a nightmare. I had an endowment mortgage but was unable to deal with this, as it was my husband who set it up, and therefore I am unable to provide the answers these companies require.

If I can be of any help to any other person, in whatever way, please feel free to publish my e-mail.

An organistation called the Mail Preference Service will ensure you no longer receive upsetting mail shots for your loved one.

My saving grace was an organisation called The WAY Foundation. Widowed and Young. I had daily e-mail contact with people who were going through the same nightmare.

I re-married in June, to another wonderful guy, however, you never get over a life experience such as this, you just learn to live with it.

My advice to people is be gentle upon yourself, grieve in your own way in your own time, and ignore all of the idiot comments people will offer your way (and there will be many), and in the deepest darkest depths of despair, feel proud to have loved and been loved, and remember that your grief is so intense because of your love for that person. Cherish the fact that they died knowing they had you.........and how much you loved them.

Financially there is a statutory entitlment of £2000, to be claimed within the first six months. I got mine from the social security office. They wanted to know who Mrs Webster was ( it was me, I was 27, and I think they were expecting someone older). If you are under 45years of age the goverment does not recognise you as a young widow, and you will receive no state benefit.

If you are over 45, and your husband/wife had contributed via tax and national insurance, then you are entitled to some statutory widow benefit for one year only - after that the state wants you to be back in work! I was unable to work for almost 3 years (I was a Nurse, and could never go back - work in Social Care now). I had to live off my savings.

Another bit of advice, postpone any major decision making, especially financial. Stay away from the medication the Dr wants to give you. Find comfort in alternative therapy, as this will give you strength. Also at a time like this friends will come and go, and the ones left, remain the best ever.

My heart goes out to anyone who finds themselves in this situation xxxxxxxxxx
  • Paul_Leadbetter
    Options
    My advice is do your own probate, it's a difficult time but employing a solicitor to do what is essentially a simple task can cost a large amount.
  • Daisies
    Daisies Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    I forgot to add:

be prepared for some really unhelpful attitudes in banks, building societies, utility companies etc. Sometimes it felt like they'd never had to deal with an account holder dying before (crazy, I know) and some staff were just plain not tactful. If you're not sure about anything ask to speak to a manager. Also, keep a record of dates you sent death certificates in, or spoke to someone. It can take ages to wrap up accounts and they're bound to lose some of your paperwork somewhere along the way.
  • newfam
    Options
    Hi, having lost my husband 6 months ago and have finally waded through all the paperwork and closed the estate accounts this week, here are a few of the things not on any organisations list that I found -
    1) if you own a house and were tenants in common and plan to leave your half of the house in trust to children, it becomes almost impossible for the surviving partner to get a mortgage on a property held in Trust. I only found 2 banks which were willing - Nationwide and Virgin One, the latter only after begging not to make me and the children sell up or have to re-mortage with Nationwide. Make sure there is enough money to cover the mortgage or you could end up having to sell the house!
    2) plots for the interment of cremated remains are tiny. You can hardly get near them to place flowers, let alone space for a child to lie on the grass and talk to their departed parent - ask for a burial plot, saying that you wish to be buried at a later date, and then the cremated remains can be placed in the plot first. Much more room. I know this sounds like a waste of valuable burial ground, but who knows what they want in the future - the children and I might all want to be buried in the plot with him!
    3) Unison pay a death benefit to dependants following death of a member - it is not huge even after 15 years membership, but it all helps.
    4) if you are doing probate yourself, no-one tells you that lump sums payable following a death, by an employer/pension are NOT part of the estate. To my simple mind (I have 2 degrees), all money coming in as a result of a death must be part of the estate!
    5) If you want to apply for a deed of variation (as mentioned in other posts) in order to change a will, and children under 18 are beneficiaries, then you have to apply to the family courts to act on behalf of the children. Very expensive.
    6) If you have children under 6 you can ask your employer to consider making your working arrangements more flexible - due to an EU law I believe, passed recently.
    7) Some public sector pensions pay the full rate of pay of the deceased for between 3-6 months following death. This is then counted as the survivors income. So, if you happen to be just below the 40% tax rate as an individual prior to your bereavement, you may find you suddenly become a 40% rate payer due to money that might have been previously taxed at 22%. Therefore, you don't have as much net income as you did before the death, even though technically you have the same gross income.
    8) On a similar note - widowed parents benefit is taxable and again you could find you're in the 40% bracket overnight.

That's all I can think of for the moment - hope it's appropriate. I was told about Martin's website just after my husband died, and am managing financially only because of such excellent advice and posts! Thankyou :-)
  • happykat_2
    Options
    Hi all.
    This is such a sad subject. My thoughts go out to all of you who have lost someone.
    The idea of keeping records of all bank, insurance etc details in one place is very sensible, but as we are thinking about the worst at the mo I wanted to add this.
    Try to keep a copy of details away from the house as well. My husband is a fireman who was called to a house fire a few years ago. The fire was fatal, the husband was killed and all the information related to everything was in the house. What wasn't burned was destroyed by the water. This made a terrible situation worse. Ask a trusted relative, friend, neighbour, or even the bank to keep a copy in a sealed envelope. Just names of the companies and your postcode is a very good start. Imagine the worst possible situation and plan for that.
  • newfam
    Options
    Short of a fire and water proof box (very expensive for the size most families would need to keep their docs in) the only other way I can think of to preserve important docs is to scan them, back up to an external hard drive (not as expensive as the fireproof box) and keep it in a metal container under the bathroom sink. Unless you have a really bad fire, and the whole house goes up, bathrooms don't tend to burn too well. Just put silica pads in the metal box. I've been doing it for 3 years and it still works fine.
    Someone else told me they scan and upload to yahoo briefcase (free), which is an online data storage system, accessible from any PC with the right password. leave a note with solicitor/will with the password!). Personally not sure if I'd like my persoanl info out there on the web, but in theory it can't get lost.
  • Faith_Lady
    Options
    My darling Mum died last year and I too would recommend doing probate yourself if you can and the estate is not too complicated. Mum was very organised and she and my late father had written their own very straightforward wills, no solicitor used.

I decided I would do the probate myself, rather daunting when all the forms arrived but if you steadily work through them and do a bit at a time, you'll get through them. Just had to go to an appointment and affirm I was who I was and obtaining probate cost me only £94.00.

I know Mum would be pleased that I hadn't had to use a solicitor and was able to save money that otherwise would have been spent on solicitor's fees. I wish more people knew that they could do their own probate and that you do not always need a solicitor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure