Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• Simmo71
    Simmo71 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The merry-go-round continues...

The CAA have responded with what I presume is a stock answer - they say they no longer get involved in passenger complaints (although I would say mine was a request for information rather than a complaint), and that I should direct my complaint to 'Airline Dispute Resolution', a scheme which falls under the umbrella of the Retail Ombudsman.

Before I use them I'd be interested to know how rigorously they investigate the reason for delays, or do they just accept the reason given by the airline. Does anyone have any experience of going down this route?

Thanks
    Simmo
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2016 at 9:05AM
    Options
    Typically the CAA have washed their hands of the whole problem by passing the buck, even though they are the statutory body assigned to deal with this problem. Initially, many years ago, the CAA simply ignored any complaints made.
    They are a toothless, useless and ineffective quango, paid for by the airlines, with little or now concern for the passengers, that ultimately pay for their existence.
    Read DR Watson's notes in this thread and if you feel you have a strong claim, issue your NBA then start ESCP proceedings.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Quick update on my delay about 2 years ago. Gave it to Bott & co and they have been to court and are now sending the bailiffs in.

I've been waiting since mid July. Not heard anything further and Bott & co haven't responded to emails. :(
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    I've been waiting since mid July. Not heard anything further and Bott & co haven't responded to emails. :(

What did they say when you 'phoned?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    What did they say when you 'phoned?

Used social media to get a response in the end.

Turned out to be a catalogue of errors that basically meant nothing has happened for the last 3 months. :(

They have now been prompted into action. Wondering if you can get compensation for a NWNF firm making mistakes!
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Simmo71 wrote: »
    The merry-go-round continues...

The CAA have responded with what I presume is a stock answer - they say they no longer get involved in passenger complaints (although I would say mine was a request for information rather than a complaint), and that I should direct my complaint to 'Airline Dispute Resolution', a scheme which falls under the umbrella of the Retail Ombudsman.

Before I use them I'd be interested to know how rigorously they investigate the reason for delays, or do they just accept the reason given by the airline. Does anyone have any experience of going down this route?

Thanks
    Simmo

They're independent and impartial, the same as all Ombudsman. There's no reason to think they won't do their job efficiently. The CAA was never set up to deal with complaints, and could only give their opinion. They were never given the power necessary to make binding decisions re EU261. Any decision the Ombudsman makes is binding on their member airlines.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They're independent and impartial, the same as all Ombudsman. There's no reason to think they won't do their job efficiently. The CAA was never set up to deal with complaints, and could only give their opinion. They were never given the power necessary to make binding decisions re EU261. Any decision the Ombudsman makes is binding on their member airlines.

An Ombudsman - "An ombudsman is a person who has been appointed to look into complaints about an organisation. Using an ombudsman is a way of trying to resolve a complaint without going to court."
    The CAA are not an Ombudsman and although they should be impartial the fact that they are funded by the aviation industry leads to many believing that they are more likely to side with their paymasters ...this has been proven to be the case in the past.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very true 111KAB,

It should always be remembered that.

1) During the Huzar v Jet2.com High Court case, the CAA asked the court to allow them to intervene (support) on behalf of the airline. The court, quite rightly, told them in no uncertain terms, that they could not.

2) Without the knowledge or agreement of all NEB's, the CAA, in conjunction with some UK airlines, published the infamous 'wish list' which the airlines used and purported as fact in many UK courts. The High Court later rubbished this list as having no legal authority.

3) Following the result in the High Court case (above) the CAA embarrassingly and completely wrongly published information on their website which was inaccurate and advised AGAINST UK law. This was changed soon afterwards when the press and others brought it to their attention.

I have to conclude that an ombudsman service will most likely be more impartial and also have more authority than the CAA.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Although it must be pointed out that under the EU regualtion, CAA are the appointed NEB who should take responsibility for enforcement of reg 261/2004. They can't and won't.
    Did we ever see any action taken when the airlines were givien a warning shot by the CAA to abide by the regulations, but continue to lie/con/procrastinate and cheat passenegers over the rightful compensation? In a word NO. The CAA are a bunch of !!!!less eejits....
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There as useless as a chocolate teapot
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income