Discuss your Freecycle successes

Options

Comments

• Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This thread seems to have got lost in the later pages.

Anyone else got a Freecycle success they want to tell us about?
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • dipsy81
    dipsy81 Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes, I have a brilliant story to tell you.

My husband lost his job and was very down in the dumps. He offered to come and help me pick up a knitting machine from the other side of our town from Freecycle. As we were passing a village, I noticed a fete or fair as some would say. I said to my husband, "shall we call in on the way back?". "Yes, if you like".

So we picked the knitting machine up and off we went. At the fair there was a stall with details of how parents can get back into work. After asking questions saying we have no children but hubby out of work. The lady said oh yes of course we can help you. They got in touch wih my husband and eventually he got a job. He also received £200 for finding one.

After looking at the knitting machine, I was sort of scared to death and thought, I would never get the hang of this. I remembered a lady on Freecycle in September asking for any kind of knitting machine. I emailed her to ask if she would like it. I did explain to her why I wasn't keeping it. She came to pick it up and was highly delighted. Apparantly she used to teach ladies and gentlemen and is going to split it all up to whoever needs the parts.

So, in my eyes, Freecycle got my husband a job, £200 and also helped more than one person regarding the knitting machine!!!

How wonderful is that?
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    Thats a real freecycle sucess dipsy congratulations.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• babyfreckles
    Options
    We have gifted a dbl futon bed with no probs, and recieved a Lexmark all in one printer/scanner/copier which is great.
    So much for 'Money Saving' ;)
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I found new homes for an unwanted food mixer that I never got on with and a bike. And I received some Spanish novels which I was delighted about because foreign language books are so expensive to buy and hard to find in libraries.
  • witchwoopiggy
    Options
    yesterday I gifted a load of cross stitch books to a lady and her grand children, was gave a record player for my friend who was so so pleased and she gifted a lockable writing desk, so it was a good day all round :)
  • lofty_cherrytree
    Options
    I have gifted a gazebo, pushchair, bikes x 3, barbeque, chaise longue, dreamcast gamestation, vax, phone and fax machine, and LOTs more.

We have received a car for my daughter (needed MOT and service and tax but cost us around £350 and she was thrilled) a breadmaker and a kenwood chef (retro) and various other bits and pieces down to drawer runners for my husband to fix a chest of drawers.

Sadly I don't have so much time to dip into it now, but I think it's fab! No sob stories, have just been polite and honest and offered prompt collection.
  • Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm just amazed how many of us here are 'cyclers!!
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • mintymoneysaver
    Options
    In the past 3 days I've gifted a wardrobe, a storage box and a computer desk. I think I've only ever received a dinner service but I don't often reply to offered posts, I always think some people will need it more than me! I do need a new printer though as our has packed up so I may put my first 'wanted' request on.
  • mumslave
    mumslave Posts: 7,531 Forumite
    Options
    hmmi have gifted a guitar, xbox and games, supernintendo and games, girls clothes, baby toys. I have also been gifted a papa primo high chair and a double buggy, plus some disney princess things for my daughters bedroom :)
    :starmod:Sealed Pot Challenge Member 1189:starmod:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport