Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,201Posts
    • 12,966Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 114
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 22nd Dec 17, 7:14 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 17,792 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    So jealous of everyone who has done all they need to and has time to relax a bit and enjoy the build up. I still have three shifts at work including a midnight finish tonight.
    Originally posted by StokieBecks
    I'm working all the way thru, I work in a taxi office, so no breaks for us

Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Jan NSD's - 11/25 / Lose weight 2.1 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 22nd Dec 17, 10:07 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 15,524 Thanks
    vulpix
    In Nottingham today.It was heaving in the city centre.Soooo many people out starting early on the drink. A busy night I expect for the services including taxis.A big thank you to everyone who works over Christmas time.

Nic,I think my husband had the same bug.He had a bad chest for months after the initial cold part.Its a shocker. We had a 3 bird roast one year and I went back to a turkey crown the next.There was nothing wrong with it,just preferred Turkey.

What was i saying about just needing to mop the downstairs?

DS has come back from GF's with boxes of stuff from their flat which has been stored whilst they were in Canada.We have had them all out over the kitchen.Some stuff binned,some small electricals for the tip.Quite a bit for charity,some to take with him to his new flat and the lions share to go in my loft.I spend my life tidying this bloomin house.Mr V has also produced a large bag of Birthday presents from his Mum which includes a lighthouse cotton bud dispenser and a huge box of Christmas gifts from his Mother.I wasn't expecting any this year as i had The Talk with her after about £200 worth of useless stuff last year.Bring on the pan scrubs and spare sink plugs.I am sinking under stuff! I try to buy gifts that are consumable to avoid accumulating more stuff.We got rid of so much when we moved.I would love to be minimalist.

Glad to hear you are busy and happy PK

Vx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 23rd Dec 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    Peppapig
    It's Christmas Eve eve - my second favourite day of the year! Hope everyone is having a good day. We babysat the two little GDSs overnight last until mid-day today so to say I'm tired is an understatement lol. Wouldn't change a thing though.

VULPIX I think it just shows how much we already have these days when one of our first thoughts when we open presents is 'where am I going to put that?'. I've thought about not buying adults presents but I just couldn't bear missing out on the fun of buying them.

Both DH and I used to work over Christmas with the duty doctor service and when DD1 was older she worked for the ambulance service so as we stopped working over the hols she started. She works for a hospice now and tonight is the third in a row of 12 hour night shifts but thankfully that means she's off over Christmas so she'll be at home with the GDSs.

DD2 and DGD are at Disney in Paris so I'll be picking them up from the airport tomorrow lunchtime then we'll all be together with DD1 and family for the afternoon. Christmas Day it's me, DH, sis, BIL, mum, DD2 and DGD then Boxing Day will be just DH and me. New Years Day is DD2's birthday so we'll see her again then as the whole family are going out for lunch. In between we'll be seeing honorary DD and her family so it's set to be a really good week. Hope it doesn't go too quickly.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 23rd Dec 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    pearl123
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas everywhere you go.
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 23rd Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 4,446 Posts
    • 27,046 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    1 shift to go!!

Thought today would be worse than it has been - quite looking forward to tomorrow's shift then off to see my Dad in the evening when I finish and take presents round to my nans bungalow where we are having Christmas day so everything is there for Christmas morning so we aren't rushing round to make sure it is there.

Plenty under our tree already now all the visiting and exchanges are done
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 23rd Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 17,792 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    It's Christmas Eve eve
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    I call it Xmas Eve Eve too

Had a nice chilled day in work yesterday, me and my colleague were tasked with popping out and purchasing the xmas noms for the people working on xmas day. It was busy, but better than I expected it too be. Picked up my sprouts while I was there (not on the works card of course)
    We also decided to buy our favourite postie a little gift. We have 3 posties who deliver to the office, we are up a flight of stairs. 2 of them press the buzzer then open the door and drop the post on the bottom step and leave. Our fave postie comes all the way up the stairs and hands it too us. He is the skinniest of the bunch, and it's obvious why.

Today I've wrapped BF's last couple of gifts so I am offically ready.
    In work tomorrow, we normally collect the drivers rents on a Monday, but we've pulled it forward a day. My xmas hat is at the ready.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Jan NSD's - 11/25 / Lose weight 2.1 lbs / 50 lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £1000/£5050
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 24th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 16,983 Thanks
    nic2075
    Happy Christmas Eve. The best day of the year.

I have the turkey in the oven, smells good. Ready to slice and put in gravy ready for tomorrow. Going to do the tatties and veg sokn too so I can enjoy watching Christmas films with the kids.
    Might pop to Tesco around 4pm to see if there's any food bargains to be had.

You are probably all busy today, prepping and having fun. Will try and pop on tomorrow. Hope everyone has a good Christmas and Santa brings you what you want. Xx
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 24th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 9,451 Posts
    • 56,271 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    At 12.00 today it will be Sod It point at Chateau Nargle. If I haven’t done it or bought it by then, sod it. Christmas starts at 12.00. No more fuss or stressing. Chill out, and look forward to feasting and relaxing - and stretching out all the leftovers well into the New Year! Have a lovely Christmas everybody!
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 24th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Happy Christmas Eve all!

Presents are wrapped, house is cleaned, and fresh croissants are baking in the oven
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - £0.00 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 24th Dec 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Happy Christmas Eve everyone, whatever you're doing I hope you have a wonderful day
    • creative gal
    • By creative gal 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    creative gal
    Happy Christmas eve everyone. Pretty much everything is ready for Christmas in the Creative household, even though I had to take a detour into M&S earlier in the week for a small turkey breast joint, as Tescos had completely run out of joints suitable for 2, and yesterday, very briefly popped into town to get some gift bags. I'm going to do a bit of housework this morning, then relax and get ready for my parent's Christmas Eve Party.
    • murie
    • By murie 24th Dec 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1,133 Posts
    • 9,376 Thanks
    murie
    Happy Christmas Eve to my fellow Christmas nuts !
    I hope everyone has a peaceful, happy and healthy Christmas and that Father Christmas does a spectacular job for each and every one of us xx
    lovin' this site!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 24th Dec 17, 5:48 PM
    • 19,854 Posts
    • 32,465 Thanks
    Spendless
    Hello popping in. Can't believe I posted on Saturday last week having not bought DH much, no tree up and I don't think any xmas cards written.

Tree is up, but doesn't look great. None of us are artistic. Next year will be taking more time on this.

Have got all presents, got about 6 left to wrap (all this household and small items so won't take long). All cards have been written and posted.

Have told DH I can't do it all myself again or not even the lion's share he has to contribute more timewise. Likewise I've said I don't want to do our annual trip to France in December. I didn't overly enjoy it this year and it just gave me less time to be prepared.

I know I have overspent this year due to last minute stuff. This is something I haven't done for 20 years (it was 97 the first year I bought early due to an impending redundancy at the end of that year) and leaves me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, though I realise a one year slip up in 2 decades should be forgiven. Now DD is getting older and more discerning in what she'd like, I'm going to curtail what I buy in the sales in store for the following year and go for quality over quantity. It will also have the knock on effect of not having to buy DS (who is harder to buy for) loads because she has more quantity of presents.

I have still got some bargains. My favourite and it's a surprise for them was going to the theatre to get DS and DH Spamalot tickets and discovering that they have introduced a cheap ticket policy for under 26 year olds. It meant DS's ticket was only £10.
    Last edited by Spendless; 24-12-2017 at 5:55 PM.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:46 PM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 12,966 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Hi all

New thread for 2018 is here - *Rocking around the Christmas Tree*

Merry Christmas to everyone and I hope that you have a enjoyable Christmas 2017!

:
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2017 at 7:51 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 24th Dec 17, 8:18 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 2,161 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Just popping on to say Merry Christmas for tomorrow everyone! (Might post the same on the new thread because I don't know at what point everyone swaps over).

Just managed to stab myself in the hand with a compass (don't ask!) so I'm hoping that wont still be throbbing by tomorrow morning. I'm not losing a hand over Christmas!

Enjoy tonight and tomorrow everyone! :r udolf:
    “In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important”
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 24th Dec 17, 10:29 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 15,524 Thanks
    vulpix
    Merry Christmas all you lovely Christmas people,Thank You for your company over the past year.Have a lovely day tomorrow. xxx V
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 25th Dec 17, 7:42 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 1,270 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Merry Christmas everyone! I'm behind, so I'll catch up on your posts and move over to the new thread in a day or two

Hope you all have wonderful festive days doing what you love
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 25th Dec 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 12,966 Thanks
    3forholidays
    Merry Christmas everyone! - the big day is finally here

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 25th Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,167 Posts
    • 15,735 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Merry Christmas everyone! Hope everyone has a lovely day. I'm moving over to the new thread now so see you all over there. Thanks for setting it all up for us 3FORHOLIDAYS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,406Posts Today

10,350Users online

Martin's Twitter