The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread!

Options

Comments

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi,
    I've had a good month regarding savings.
    5% Regular saver matured yesterday £187.18 interest. Opened up another one today at 5%.
    Total for month: + £1196.82.
    Total for year: £1696.82
    Off to do my form...and read everyone's entries.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    loveasale wrote: »
    I'd love to join ,,,
    I'm a pretty good saver, but , blimey some of you are amazing at it !
    Some of you must have big incomes ,, I sadly don't , I'm canny with money and can put it away , I'm not brilliant at making more, I'd rather get rid of stuff to the charity shop or else if I have photograph for eBay I will end up keeping things ,, terrible hoarder ,,
    So tips on other ways to boost savings are well received,,,,

If you go to the debt free wannabe challenges there are forums on earning more money. You may want to read what they do.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • CrabbitDutchie
    Options
    rjrs0510 wrote: »
    I am able to salt away £5000February...always remembering to try and pay my future self first...so I have precious little for the rest of the (thankfully short) month. As always, it is so good to read about everyone's progress... i am really trying to focus on early retirement now. I was reading that if you can save 80% of your salary for 5 years that you should have accumulated enough to retire if u can generate a 4-5% return..this percentage is now my goal!! Thanks, as always, to Slowlyfading for updating everything and doing so much:)

I didn't think that could possibly be right when I first read it, but it's actually a pretty neat little sum (if fairly difficult to achieve for most people) as if you can live of 20% of your salary whilst saving the rest, after 5 years a 5% return would be equal to that 20% of your current salary and you already know that you can live off that! Nice rule of thumb.

It is both inspirational and discouraging to see people who manage to put away very high amounts each month, and especially here it might be fascinating to see these figures as a % of income (both gross and take home).

I have just been given a promotion at work with a pretty decent raise from the end of march payday on (33%) which means that my £12000 a year super ambitious target suddenly becomes very doable. I'm determined not to fall into the same lifestyle traps I see many of my friends falling into and am trying to see this as a bonus for future me. I'm trying to work out what the smartest way to deal with the extra is. Currently 20% of my gross salary ends up in my pension each month (14% me, 6% employer) and I have a healthy cash cushion. So I'm thinking that it's probably a good idea to put the increased take home pay straight into an S&S ISA?
    Save 12K in 2018 #20 - £20,890/£18,000 (116%) November £1950
    Save 12K in 2017 #46 - £13,184/£12,000 (109.87%):D
    Save 12K in 2016 #184 - £4,608/£4500 (102.4%) :D
  • laurenh1
    Options
    Hi Please can I join this or am I too late? .I'd like to save 5k this year :) ive already put 600 away this year but I am on mat leave so not a great lor spare
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    MacyD wrote: »
    I would love to do this challenge and have followed on and off for years. I just don't have the confidence to even know where to start. I do not have debts except a mortgage. But could really do with building up savings.

I would say it's the other way around: this challenge builds your confidence, rather than requires it. I had absolutely no idea how to save money until a year or so ago and was just spending money as soon as it came in. Putting the focus on it and being accountable for what you've done with your money to a group of strangers on the internet is oddly brilliant. I saved around £8,500 with it last year; the previous year - without the challenge - I saved barely £3,000 (and that was me trying - the year before I saved £0). Just sign up :) And ask us if you want tips for saving. Number 1 tip will be: do a budget.
  • MacyD
    MacyD Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pearl123 wrote: »
    Perhaps choose a low amount to save and then see if you can smash it.
    My aim is a low £1500. for the year. However, I'm am hoping to save considerably more than that.

I think joining this group helps you focus upon saving.

There's an old saying. "Save it you've got it, spend it you've had it!"

Thank you Pearl for the encouragement:)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    bobobski wrote: »
    I would say it's the other way around: this challenge builds your confidence, rather than requires it. I had absolutely no idea how to save money until a year or so ago and was just spending money as soon as it came in. Putting the focus on it and being accountable for what you've done with your money to a group of strangers on the internet is oddly brilliant. I saved around £8,500 with it last year; the previous year - without the challenge - I saved barely £3,000 (and that was me trying - the year before I saved £0). Just sign up :) And ask us if you want tips for saving. Number 1 tip will be: do a budget.

Spot on bob!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Rent increase discussion with the LL today- £1200 a year starting March 1st. Bah!

I haven't updated January yet, I don't dare look as it was pretty expensive. This month isn't looking so rosy either. I'm sticking to strict budgets but the necessary expenses just keep coming my way. Hopefully it'll ease up soon.
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • MissMarble
    Options
    I'd love to hear any tips you can share! Although I have done some digging on the forum for other tips, sometimes it's always good to refresh them in my mind.

I've decided to think seriously about saving this year and have two pots of money for my savings - one for holidays and the other for a house deposit. I decided to use a journal to write down how much I spend each day in my current account and it's been really helpful. I set a budget at the beginning of each week and aim to try and stick within it - rolling any extra onto next week's budget. Whilst I find this great, I think I may need to use it for my joint account as it would be good to keep a track on this for daily spends. I've also created spreadsheets with budgets set for joint account and recording savings on the other. But again I think this needs a look at.

I think it's all about seeing what works for you - so start simple and then throughout the month maybe see how it can be best adjusted to your own personal needs.

Happy saving everyone! :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    nat21luv wrote: »
    Rent increase discussion with the LL today- £1200 a year starting March 1st. Bah!

I haven't updated January yet, I don't dare look as it was pretty expensive. This month isn't looking so rosy either. I'm sticking to strict budgets but the necessary expenses just keep coming my way. Hopefully it'll ease up soon.

£1200 :eek:

80lbs! Blimey - is that total weight loss? :eek::eek:

Chin up on the expenses. If you were not saving it would be worse. That much is for certain. :)

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport