Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got caught like that with an offer from Selftrade once, thought I'd do a little short-term trading while it lasted.

Then realised they'd been very careful NOT to point out that you still pay commission to sell the same shares!
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    I used it to top up things I already own. I bought some of the miners back in may but only in small amounts and they've risen 100% in some cases so I find it hard to buy more of something that looks expensive but if currency weakness is here to stay then they are possibly the more reasonably priced of all shares so just used the excuse of cost averaging and this no fee offer to buy a bit

£26 a share :eek: They keep the price higher because of commodity volatility I think, falling below a pound would cause a compound psychological feeling of loss

A couple things are coming up to ex div again, shell for example is on the 9th so buying now to sell off in the xmas silly season on any erroneous price rise seemed reasonable and big oil hardly seems a bad bet to me right now. 7% price increase since may only? :think:
  • Blah99
    Blah99 Posts: 486 Forumite
    Options
    A couple things are coming up to ex div again, shell for example is on the 9th so buying now to sell off in the xmas silly season on any erroneous price rise seemed reasonable and big oil hardly seems a bad bet to me right now. 7% price increase since may only? :think:

Same reason I've got a limit order waiting on VT Group :)
    Mmmm, credit crunch. Tasty.
  • kolin_2
    kolin_2 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    which are the cheapest sites (with regard to commission fees, etc.) to trade in shares online?

obviously the two banks i am with are both charging £11.95 / deal, therefore if i were to purchase £3.00 or £30.00 of shares in a company, i'd have to pay £11.95?
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kolin wrote: »
    which are the cheapest sites (with regard to commission fees, etc.) to trade in shares online?

obviously the two banks i am with are both charging £11.95 / deal, therefore if i were to purchase £3.00 or £30.00 of shares in a company, i'd have to pay £11.95?
    Share dealing commission doesn't come a great deal cheaper than £11.95 a deal.

Clearly, this means it takes up a disproportionate part of the total cost if you buy less than, say, £500 or so at a time.
  • kolin_2
    Options
    Biggles wrote: »
    Share dealing commission doesn't come a great deal cheaper than £11.95 a deal.

Clearly, this means it takes up a disproportionate part of the total cost if you buy less than, say, £500 or so at a time.

so i can simply assume that you'll have to make at least £27 from selling the £50.00 of shares in order to cover the purchasing and selling commission?
  • kolin_2
    Options
    when asking about other ways of trading on line, i was thinking of sites like fool.co.uk....
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kolin wrote: »
    so i can simply assume that you'll have to make at least £27 from selling the £50.00 of shares in order to cover the purchasing and selling commission?
    What I said was £500, not £50!

To buy a share at 100p with £500, you'll only get 480 shares at most (assuming a buy/sell spread of 98/102).

You would need their price to rise to about 110p before you were even breaking even.

With £50, you would simply be wasting your time and money.
  • Davey2009
    Options
    Have you considered buying shares in an investment trust?
    They are similar to unit trusts but without the high initial charges & some trade at a discount to total net asset value - the full list of them is on "trustnet" some have savings shemes which mean make regular or lump sum payments & there are no fees.
    One that I like is SVM Global trust as the name says it invests worldwide usually in other trusts so it is like a fund of funds, whilst it may not bring the returns of an individual share its unlikely to lose all of your money as some shares may.

This is just my personal opinion of course, if anyone disagrees that is fine !
    Theres only two rules to remember
    1) Im always right
    2) See rule 1
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 26 November 2009 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Some funds will allow purchases as low as £500, L&G do and others are £1000. Monthly scheme is lower still

Its very unlikely to make a profit with the lower amounts but its possible, some shares have risen 100%, the high street bank shares more then tripled if you somehow guessed the lowest price at the right time. They wont do that again most likely as they are valued at 31bn now, so triple again of that would be too much

iii charge no fee for share purchase if you do it monthly but they will charge 10 for selling. Let me know if you think theres a share that'll double :D

£100 in Cisco 1990 would have been worth £100,000 a decade later. Thats not normal :p

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/investment/article6839771.ece

Blah99 wrote: »
    Same reason I've got a limit order waiting on VT Group :)

They were mentioned by Questor
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure