Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all. Just posting an update on this one. I've just heard back from BA - they have emailed me to offer me €400 compensation - they offered Avios points OR cash (asked for bank details if I wanted cash). This was 2 weeks after I completed the claim on their website. Cheers everyone, and thanks for your help.
    Don't forget that's €400 per passenger.
  • summerishere11
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    Yes, appears to be a valid claim if through booked. ie all flights on one booking.

Re my post earlier about my Iberia claim, I have received a reply from them this afternoon, I also have a delayed baggage claim against them and for some reason they sent the reply to the delayed baggage case folder rather than the delayed flight case folder! ( my claim was a technical fault which resulted us getting to our final destination over 3 hours late) This was their reply : I am writing in relation to flight IB3166 of June 14th 2017 and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for contacting us. Depending on the infrastructure and operation of each airport, the airlines and airport authorities establish minimum times to guarantee the connections of passenger and their luggage.
    When these times are shorter and the connection proves in feasible, we provide them with the quickest way to reach their destination, depending on the availability of alternative flights.
    Airlines are affected by numerous factors, such as weather conditions, air control permissions etc, and this means that our planes and crews are sometime held up or find themselves at different airport from where they should be. Relocating them is complicated and occasionally this leads to delays or cancellations.
    I apologise if the information or the assistance we provided were not enough.
    We appreciate that your journey was more tiring, and although it was due to circumstances beyond our control, we did everything in our power to minimise the inconvenience and, based on options available, provided the fastest mode of transport to ensure that our reached you destination. Every day we analyse the incidents that occur and make plans to improve our handling of these situations.
    Thank you again for contacting us. Your assistance allows us to improve our service. We hope we continue to enjoy you trust.
    Sincerely, Iberia Customer Service Centre.

Not sure what to make of this? Any thoughts? In my actual case file I will be able to escalate my case tomorrow morning.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Not sure what to make of this? Any thoughts? In my actual case file I will be able to escalate my case tomorrow morning.

It's just computer-generated guff. Stop their nonsense and send them an LBA - and take them to court if they don't respond constructively. At the moment, you're just playing letter ping pong with templates.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JPears sorry I'm still a it confused and puzzled by this. The rescheduled flight was due to leave at 14.20 but was delayed and I'm pretty sure it didn't leave till after 3.30 making the difference between the cancelled flight 12.30 and the rescheduled actual leaving time 3 hours. I also don't understand how BA can say they cancelled the first flight the day before because they knew it was going to be extreme weather in London yet they booked us onto another flight 2 hours after the first one was due to leave the day they knew this extreme weather was taking place and of course we were delayed and missed our connection.
    the second replacement flight was delayed by weather? then that is an EC so no compensation due. Did you not see the earlier post by Tyzap? BA had no choice about your first flight being cancelled. The decision was made by Heathrow.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • nabobbles
    Options
    I posted this yesterday:
    forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5697646

I'm just posting follow-up questions here as advised...

I have already submitted a claim via the Resolver tool here:
    moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays#resolvertool

Have I done the right thing?

The Resolver tool seems to just automate the steps suggested in 'Vauban's Guide' - although the guide does suggest contacting the airline asking for compensation first, which I haven't done...

Any advice?
  • nabobbles
    Options
    Hi

I didn't want to double post - but I just wanted some advice on my previous post.

Have I done the right thing in using the Resolver tool?

Or should I have contacted BA directly and submitted a claim via their website?

I haven't heard anything back yet from my claim via the Resolver tool.

Many thanks
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nabobbles wrote: »
    Hi

I didn't want to double post - but I just wanted some advice on my previous post.

Have I done the right thing in using the Resolver tool?

Or should I have contacted BA directly and submitted a claim via their website?

I haven't heard anything back yet from my claim via the Resolver tool.

Many thanks

It will do no harm to belatedly submit a claim via their website.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • nabobbles
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »
    It will do no harm to belatedly submit a claim via their website.

Good luck.

Thanks, I've submitted the claim via the BA website now - wish I'd done that to start with really.

The Resolver tool is probably good, but I didn't really want to take the chance with it, especially since there is another thread in this forum where people seem a little suspicious about how it operates and I can't find any trustworthy clarification.

So I now have a claim in via the Resolver tool AND via BA directly, I was going to close my original Resolver claim but I don't want to complicate things. What if closing my Resolver claim somehow gets my direct BA claim closed too?

I guess I'll leave both open and see what happens.
  • garyba66
    Options
    Hi,

Originally posted in general flight compensation in error.

I have also posted the following on Flyertalk, as to otry and expand the audience and opinions on the next step I should take.

The suggestion from people on Flyertalk is to go back to BA quoting the Sturgeon case or go straight to a Money Claim.
    Looking for assistance with a flight cancellation/delay on the above flight and BA have refused to pay out compensation.

I was on the above flight, and after we boarded the Captain announced that there was an issue with the fuselage. He said he was speaking with London, and had been advised that they had to carry out a full technical check (21 pages long) and we would be delayed an hour.

After the hour was up the Captain came back to advise that he was off loading the passengers as a) they were only on page 4 or 21 doing the checks and b) he would be out of hours in 20 minutes.

As I had only hand luggage I was lucky enough to be able to get back through passport control to the BA check in desk and get booked on the later flight (21:55) - which still arrived at Heathrow more than 3 hours later than my scheduled arrival.

I duly completed the BA compensation form and last night I heard back from them stating that the claim would not be upheld as they state the 'aircraft damage wasn't caused by them and therefore they are not liable to make a compensation payment'.

Cynically I feel this is an opt out by BA - and they are still liable to pay and might be trying to use this as a method of scaring off the majority of customers.

Was any one else on this flight and had the same/different response from BA - or on a different flight with this reply and how did you take it further with them to pay out?

Thanks in advance for any help
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    have you checked on the NWNF checkers such as EUClaim and bottonline to see whether they agree with BA's position? have a read of Vauban's guide for next steps (assuming the NWNFs confirm that there should be a valid claim)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback