Ikea integrated dishwasher

Options
Just back from Ikea where I'm buying a kitchen, but want to get appliances elsewhere.

That seems fine for everything but the integrated dishwasher - apparently Ikea only supply doors for their own dishwashers now. I can't integrated doors for everything else.

Anyone bought an Ikea kitchen recently who has got around this?

Or does anyone have an Ikea dishwasher? Is it good?

(Ikea has changed its design system of late so if you fitted an Ikea kitchen a while ago it won't be the same).

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by Ikea only supply doors for their own dishwashers?

The dishwasher comes complete and you plant whatever kitchen door onto it as a face. I'd still expect other people's door fronts to fit onto an Ikea dishwasher because it's made by Whirlpool.

I have an Ikea dishwasher. In fact most of our appliances are Ikea. They're superb value for money, the five year guarantee is unbeatable anywhere and the guarantee comes without quibbles. Ours had a piece of fluff wrapped around the motor recently which made it poorly. Guy came out and fixed it with no charge and no real questions from the service team either. This is after more than three years of ownership.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The doors on the new metod range of kitchens are much longer . When fitting to a dishwasher the doors now pivot twice. Ikea supply a separate plastic bracket to accommodate this

I'm not saying ikea are wrong, the appliance looked the same as the older facktum range so proceed with caution
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • bigjoe
    bigjoe Posts: 283 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2015 at 8:22AM
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by Ikea only supply doors for their own dishwashers?

As andyhop says below, the ikea doors no longer fit non-ikea integrated dishwashers so no you can't just plant this door on to any other dishwasher brand.
  • bigjoe
    Options
    andyhop wrote: »
    The doors on the new metod range of kitchens are much longer . When fitting to a dishwasher the doors now pivot twice. Ikea supply a separate plastic bracket to accommodate this

I'm not saying ikea are wrong, the appliance looked the same as the older facktum range so proceed with caution

Yes ideally I'd like a Miele integrated dishwasher and don't like having to buy an ikea one, but I was told the dishwasher door is now unique to ikea integrated dishwashers.
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,431 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd be concerned if I could only buy a dishwasher from Ikea. Your kitchen will last longer than the dishwasher and there will be no guarantee of support in 5 years time.
  • bigjoe
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »
    I'd be concerned if I could only buy a dishwasher from Ikea. Your kitchen will last longer than the dishwasher and there will be no guarantee of support in 5 years time.

I double checked and it seems that if you want an Ikea kitchen with an integrated dishwasher you do have to buy an Ikea dishwasher (if you want the door to fit it!).

My problem is Ikea dishwashers aren't great value for money and neither are they highly rated. But I do want an Ikea kitchen.

Anyone got any ideas here?
  • Doozergirl
    edited 10 April 2015 at 9:22AM
    Options
    Buy a non integrated dishwasher and use it as such.

Or buy a non integrated dishwasher and site the kitchen units on that run further forward from the wall, allowing the dishwasher to sit fully inside and then you to plant a regular side-hinged door over to make it look integrated. You'll probably need a deeper worktop - buy a breakfast bar and adapt.

I'm still perfectly happy with an Ikea dishwasher. If the only apparant downside of having an Ikea kitchen is using their dishwasher, it's not exactly the end of the world.
  • bigjoe
    Options
    Buy a non integrated dishwasher and use it as such.

Or buy a non integrated dishwasher and site the kitchen units on that run further forward from the wall, allowing the dishwasher to sit fully inside and then you to plant a regular side-hinged door over to make it look integrated. You'll probably need a deeper worktop - buy a breakfast bar and adapt.

Will look into your second suggestion - thanks!
  • bigjoe
    Options
    I'm still perfectly happy with an Ikea dishwasher. If the only apparant downside of having an Ikea kitchen is using their dishwasher, it's not exactly the end of the world.

You're right, it certainly isn't the end of the world. But I don't think I should be forced into buying an appliance that I know isn't the best on the market, and at a price that is certainly not the best for what you get, just because of a kitchen door! If there's a way to get better I want to find it!
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    I'd think of it more as a small inconvenience in buying one of the cheapest kitchens out there and remove the apparant extra cost from the overall saving.

That said, it cleans the dishes as effectively as anything I've come across, the five year guarantee is effectively free - or perhaps it loads the price slightly. No inconvenience at all as far as I'm concerned. Less inconvenient than rejigging the kitchen to accommodate a dishwasher with two doors.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback