Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• cherabelle
    Options
    Hi All,

Getting very close to our trip in December. Flying out with BA, have 4 days at the Excelsior and then cruising back on the QM2.

We pretty much have our itinerary sorted but I did have a few questions around food. Can anyone recommend any restaurants or places to eat that has stuff for vegetarians please? When I went last time I did PH, HRC etc but my parents don't like those. We are also planning a dinner cruise whilst there with entertainment cruises, has anyone has experience of this?

Thanks Cher
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a look online at restaurant menus, there's usually a non meat dish on many menus.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I struggled as a vegetarian in NY. it was mac n cheese or nothing. Even if you asked for the vegi option, meat/fish still appeared in the dish. So i ended up eating alot of takeout snacks/sandwiches.

Did find one vegi restaurant, Dirt Candy (think it was in chinatown area). Food was ok, but not as good as restaurants ive been to in uk.
  • cherabelle
    Options
    Thanks Flea72, I am in Mallorca at the moment and so I am only too familar with the whole "is there a veggie option?" Conversation and then meat or fish appearing too. Any places I can grab stuff from on the go will help massively. Recommendations always help in this situation.

I have heard Chelsea Bridge does a market similar to borough market in London so I am thinking of trying that out if there is an indoor option, could be a little cold to eat outside in December.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you tried a search on Google for:
    vegetarian new york
    Lots of possible options there.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • cherabelle
    Options
    Yes, I have a list of a few vegetarian restaurants from a google search which I am going to work out where there are. As 2 of the other 3 in the party are big meat eaters though I would feel a little mean subjecting them to a purely vegetarian restaurant every day so sometimes people across restaurants with a good veggie selection which can complement the meals. You never know unless you ask. There does look to be some amazing places near Hell's Kitchen though so that's on the list to try.

I was just wondering on the Vegas thread there is a bit about the $20 upgrade trick, does anyone know if this is worthwhile trying in New York or have you had much success if you have tried it?

TIA.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    cherabelle wrote: »
    I am going to work out where they are.
    Google Maps can do that for you. Pan and zoom to Manhattan and search for the restaurant name. Here's one random example:
    https://goo.gl/maps/9KkUemCMw192
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i went to chelsea market (its all indoor) thinking id finally get a decent meal and ended up having bread and olives. its not a sit down place, its fancy fast food. More a grab your lunch and head back to the office type of place. Its also not as big as i expected. 30ish shops/stalls.

After a few days of walking into restaurants, reading the menu, then leaving again due to lack of even a salad, I tended to fill up at breakfast on bagels/cream cheese/eggs. Then grab something froma deli late afternoon. Thankfully, i was usually then too full/tired to go out and find a restaurant of the evening, so fruit and crisps back at the room sufficed.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I usually resort to an Italian restaurant when in the States. Olive Garden is a reasonably priced chain, with branches in New York.

There are also three pubs called The Playwright. We've used two and I've had a pasta meal in each.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • James8
    James8 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hello,

Booked an NYC trip for Feb next year and looking at possibly attending a Knicks game as there are a couple on at that time. Looking on ticketmaster at tickets they start at $170 for a single ticket.. Is this really what you can expect to pay?

Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport