Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Gratis
    Gratis Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options

Don’t feel too bad about it, AbbieCadabra.

If you’ve been taking Sky TV’s full offering, at full price, for over 12 years, there was no way Sky was going to believe you’d actually leave and go cold turkey on the lot. Sky will have assumed you were just bluffing in order to try to blag a discount.

The only way Sky will take you seriously in your situation is if/when you do terminate and prove you are prepared to go without its service(s).

This puts the boot on the other foot. (Yours :) )

Sky will then probably wait a month or two, to see if you relent and re-subscribe at the full price.

If you don’t, Sky will then offer you a discount to return, figuring that it’s better to be earning something from you than earning nothing at all from you.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jnr.
  • CelticStar
    CelticStar Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've been Sky customers for over a decade but we only subscribe to the lowest entertainment package which is £21.50 per month. I was fed up subsidising everyone on the sports/films package and getting no appreciation for being a loyal customer so I phoned to cancel. Sky offered us various broadband/phone packages but we are locked into a really good deal from Talk Talk so they were no good to us, I only wanted a discount on the entertainment package and was not interested in any half price sports or film deals. Then they offered us the entertainment package for £18 per month, which I thought was risible. Anyway, I decided to cancel and left it at that, got the cancellation letter through a few days later and was quite happy to go ahead. This week I've had a phone call offering us the entertainment package at half price with no contract. :T

My advice to anyone is to cancel and be prepared for that cancellation to go through if necessary otherwise they've got you over a barrel.
  • hostertlady
    hostertlady Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    amk515 wrote: »
    I had the exact same. They couldn't offer me much so I cancelled and then received my letter to confirm.

They should ring you in the cancellation period but if not ring them and see if there is something they can do. I rang 2 days before my Sky was due to be cut off and got half price for 12 months with no contract.

It isn't a guarantee though.

we shall see.....:D
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I always got the impression that retentions at sky don't really have any power any more, as it's the new customer department that can offer you the good deals.

i was told yesterday that apparently Virgin TV XL customers are apparently able to cancel their contracts, penalty-free due to the loss of ESPN. I've only been with Virgin about 5 months all told, so i'm definitely looking at this as a way out as i hate TiVo.

I can't imagine i'll have been gone from Sky long enough to be counted as a new customer though ..
  • Kite2010
    Kite2010 Posts: 4,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker! Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I've just sent an email via the My Sky platform to cancel. I've stated that due to restrictions on my phone line I can't call 0844 numbers.

Although after sitting down to review the last 2 months of TV, 95% is available on freesat (by sky), the other 5% can be located online.

Either get a freesat recorder or one of those internet catch-up boxes will be on my list once I've escaped
  • terryya
    terryya Posts: 603 Forumite
    Options
    We were at the end of 15 months 75% off with Sky (full package with movies, sport and HD) and managed to get 50% for next 6 months with no extra commitment.

We would have been quite happy to leave though.
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Rang to get the £10 talk anytime 200 taken off our Virgin phone line as we mostly all use mobiles (free calls between most of us). Ended up with a TiVO box for only £2 extra this month & a £20 saving per month thereafter.

Bonus of the new dual band router when the guy came with the TiVO box. :T
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • 2wildthing2
    Options
    Just phoned to say that we can no longer justify paying £95 a month for SKY TV, phone & broadband and that we need to reduce price or would cancel. Was given nothing other than half price line rental for 6 months (£60/year), so have gone ahead and cancelled. Within minutes they sent an email confirming that our cancellation will go ahead on 6th September. I'm holding firm and not going to give in to them, they need to offer us a better deal or we go on the 6th.

I'm sure they must know that we haven't really got much alternative to Sky, as we have no cable and freeview is poor in our area.

Be warned that if you are cancelling to get a better price, Sky are not playing ball at the moment.
    :jNSD 12, SAVING ALL MY CHANGE FOR HOLIDAY SPENDS - SO FAR £23.96:j
  • benwarwick123
    Options
    Just phoned to say that we can no longer justify paying £95 a month for SKY TV, phone & broadband and that we need to reduce price or would cancel. Was given nothing other than half price line rental for 6 months (£60/year), so have gone ahead and cancelled. Within minutes they sent an email confirming that our cancellation will go ahead on 6th September. I'm holding firm and not going to give in to them, they need to offer us a better deal or we go on the 6th.

I'm sure they must know that we haven't really got much alternative to Sky, as we have no cable and freeview is poor in our area.

Be warned that if you are cancelling to get a better price, Sky are not playing ball at the moment.
    They seem to be calling people up lately, and offering deals during your 30 days notice. I cancelled Multiroom and they kept calling me for a good week offering offers but none were as good as the one which I was cancelling
  • Gratis
    Gratis Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options

They know that if you can receive Sky you can receive FreeSat. :cool:

And that a Humax twin-tuner FreeSat HD PVR (for which Sky has generously provided you with the necessary dish and wiring) costs less to purchase outright than the price of a few months' subscription to Sky... :)
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jnr.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills