Cheap calls though 18185 - experiences please?

Options

Comments

• poppasmurf_bewdley
    poppasmurf_bewdley Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2016 at 5:59PM
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Many people have an inclusive call plan on their mobile and are likely to be paying a lot more than £8 per month for it, and yet probably make most of their calls while they are sat at home.

One reason for having a mobile phone has been that making calls to mobile numbers from landlines has always been expensive. Now that landline providers offer inclusive calls to mobile numbers, that is no longer the case.

Landline providers have botched their marketing. They usually advertise unsuitable 'weekend' call plans to keep the headline price down. These plans have extortionate weekday rates and this along with the previous high rates for calls to mobile numbers has led most people to be under the impression that landlines are expensive.

If landline providers were to swap their advertising to feature anytime inclusive calls to landline numbers, 03 numbers and mobile numbers for £8 per month, many people would see this as a simple way to save money when making telephone calls.

Agreed. I have an O2 business phone account which gives me unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 2Gb Date for £7 per month plus VAT, so why would I want to pay £8 per month to a landline provider. I'm not sure if you are aware but Sky already offer calls to landline and mobile numbers for this price.
    I understand the argument but I don't necessarily agree with all of that analysis, besides I think there's a bigger picture here.

It's rather too little, too late for landlines - they're becoming more of a niche thing. Of course there's a significant generational divide on this, but for many younger people they're a bit of an irrelevance - they are just a delivery mechanism for home broadband.

Again, I agree. I only have a landline for broadband. I've made two calls via this landline this month via 18185 which cost me 28p in total as against more than £1.50 it would have cost via BT, and those only because there was a fault with the O2 network on that day. But I keep my 18156 account valid just in case of such eventuality.

I look on a landline as an anachronism which should really be in a museum now. I think the reason BT (and others) charge so much for their calls is because so few people use them to make chargeable calls, and they have to make up for this somehow. I can cast my mind back only a few years when BT used to advertise weekend calls (no matter how long) for 50p! It costs that to get a wrong number now.

But there again, I can cast my mind back to the 60's when I lived in the USA when you didn't pay for any local calls at all. They were all free way back then. I don't know what the situation is now.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I only have a landline for broadband. I've made two calls via this landline this month via 18185 which cost me 28p in total as against more than £1.50 it would have cost via BT, and those only because there was a fault with the O2 network on that day. But I keep my 18156 account valid just in case of such eventuality.

I look on a landline as an anachronism which should really be in a museum now. I think the reason BT (and others) charge so much for their calls is because so few people use them to make chargeable calls, and they have to make up for this somehow. I can cast my mind back only a few years when BT used to advertise weekend calls (no matter how long) for 50p! It costs that to get a wrong number
    I HAVE to use the landline phone for most calls because the mobile signals are generally poor to non existent at home.Can't face having to make repeat calls to doctors,dentists,garage etc when the call goes off in the middle of a sentence!!:(
    I have a legacy package which includes weekend and evening calls with rental , so only need 18185 during the weekdays when, as posted, providers charges are exorbitant.
    I'll continue to use them until either a) my provider "outlaw" them or b) the costs rise to the point where it'll make a package sensible.:)
  • SallySunshine
    Options
    Just found this thread after posting on another about 18585 as I'm thinking about using them after getting stung by BT when phoning Spain using Dialwise.

Do I have to have a direct debit?
    I will only probably be phoning about 3 times as usually other means of communication is used e-mail. Facebook messaging etc.
    Speedy replies would be appreciated as we will have to phone Spain soon.
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    It's several years since I signed up to 18185 but I'm pretty sure you have to have a direct debit or the debit/credit card equivalent.

If it worries you, you could always just cancel the direct debit in a few weeks time after you have paid.

Don't forget if calling a Spanish landline you should use their 0808 *** number as it's only 1p a minute plus 4p connection. If you access the service by dialling 18185 it's 2p a minute plus 4p connection to call Spain.
  • SallySunshine
    Options
    Thanks for that,
    As the site specifically mentions if you are a BT customer you only need to use the 18185 no. other have to use the 0808 *** prefix, is this because of a BT rule?

Went through the registration process last night and it does give you the choice of using either cards or d.d's.

I possibly will only need to use the company once for my call, and so aren't keen on leaving my card details with them.
    Might just not bother and bite the bullet, but tell my friend I need to keep the conversation short, then use the other methods of communication.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BT still allows access by dialling the digits 18185 but most other landline providers do not. This is why the alternative methods, such as the 0808 number exist.

Recent price changes by the 18185 provider mean that on a BT landline, using the 0808 number is now cheaper than using the 18185 access code.

However, if calling a landline in Europe, there are numerous dial-through providers offering international services on inclusive 03 numbers with no further charges. It is worth investigating those first.
  • SallySunshine
    Options
    Thanks Ian,
    Saw that suggestion when viewing the Say No site.
    Would BT accept those, and how do I find out who the providers are, payment etc?
  • endeeo
    endeeo Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I've used 18185 for many years to phone my kids/friends who don't have landlines or live abroad. Early this year I found that Invoices give totla amount due (which is taken from Credit card) but Itemised Calls list no longer works! How are we supposed to check validity of Invoice if we can't see call list?
    Site does not allow for queries/complaints just questions with set answers! Why should I renew credit card if they won't honour their sideof the contract? Anybody else had this problem?
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Itemised calls are still there, for me anyway. As for queries or complaints, click on customer services, then click report a fault and fill out the form. I did that previously for a general enquiry and got an emailed response with a link to their reply.
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    I've also just checked and my itemised calls are also still there.

endeeo - perhaps there was a technical problem when you checked. Have you tried again since?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure