Cheap calls though 18185 - experiences please?

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Still much better value than phoning via the rental provider HOWEVER, a bit worrying since the move to 0.7p was relatively recent.
    Wonder how much longer these IACs are going to last?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 10 August 2016 at 10:49AM
    Options
    I'd previously found that the cost of calls to Spain had doubled to 2p/minute using the 18185 prefix (from a BT line) but were still half that (1p/minute) using the 0808 1 703 703 or 020 8180 2828 dial-through access numbers.

Unfortunately, ½ price is not available for 01/02/03 calls.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 10 August 2016 at 10:46AM
    Options
    I hope this is a glitch.

Just made another call and the message said 10p per minute . Checked my account and charged 24p for a 1 minute 7 second call.

Website still states 1p per minute.

Edit: just raised a fault using contact us.
  • Heinz
    Options
    I hope this is a glitch.

Just made another call and the message said 10p per minute . Checked my account and charged 24p for a 1 minute 7 second call.

Are you sure you weren't dialling a mobile number? That would be 4p connection + 2 minutes @ 10p each = 24p.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Consumer40
    Options
    I hope this is a glitch.

Just made another call and the message said 10p per minute .

I was also given the 10p per minute message and was phoning a domestic UK landline number 01xxx.
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    Are you sure you weren't dialling a mobile number? That would be 4p connection + 2 minutes @ 10p each = 24p.
    Definitely uk landline.
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    Consumer40 wrote: »
    I was also given the 10p per minute message and was phoning a domestic UK landline number 01xxx.
    put in a fault report. The more they get may prompt them into action.
  • Heinz
    Options
    It must be a glitch. If it's not, 18185 is dead.
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    Options
    I just tested it and got 10p per minute too.
    :j
  • AlanR
    AlanR Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    We made a couple of local calls earlier today and got the 10p per minute message. I've checked my itemised invoice and they were indeed charged at the increased rate. But I've just tried a neighbour again a minute or two ago and the message is now back to 1p per minute. Fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure