🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheap calls though 18185 - experiences please?

Options

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I phoned my brother in Canada yesterday(his Skype is playing up), and it was 1p per minute as usual.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just signed up to 18185 and it worked fine as expected from the landline. I just tried using the 0808 number from a mobile for the first time and the message telling the price was cut off by another message saying they'd ring my mobile back for authorisation, which they did and it then asks you to press numbers on the phone. This all seems highly suspect so I cut the call. Can anyone please confirm if this is the normal procedure?
  • The_Groat_Counter
    Options
    TCA wrote: »
    I've just signed up to 18185 and it worked fine as expected from the landline. I just tried using the 0808 number from a mobile for the first time and the message telling the price was cut off by another message saying they'd ring my mobile back for authorisation, which they did and it then asks you to press numbers on the phone. This all seems highly suspect so I cut the call. Can anyone please confirm if this is the normal procedure?

I don't think it's standard procedure but it does sound as though it was some sort of security verification process on the part of 18185.

Obvious question... have you added your mobile number to your 18185 account via the website?
  • TCA
    Options
    I don't think it's standard procedure but it does sound as though it was some sort of security verification process on the part of 18185.

Obvious question... have you added your mobile number to your 18185 account via the website?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the mobile number was added via the website. That's why it seemed a bit odd as I'd hardly set up a false number to gain their call charges. The x pence per minute announcement was cut off half way through and replaced by what sounded like a South African accent. Maybe nothing untoward but when I get an automated call back asking me to press buttons it makes me uneasy. Paranoia perhaps but nowhere on the website do I see any mention of this process.
  • The_Groat_Counter
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, the mobile number was added via the website. That's why it seemed a bit odd as I'd hardly set up a false number to gain their call charges. The x pence per minute announcement was cut off half way through and replaced by what sounded like a South African accent. Maybe nothing untoward but when I get an automated call back asking me to press buttons it makes me uneasy. Paranoia perhaps but nowhere on the website do I see any mention of this process.

It does sound a bit odd I agree.

On the face of it I can't see how this would enable a scam to happen, but perhaps I'm not being imaginative enough.

For what it's worth, I've just made a call via my mobile and the 0808 access number and it worked as usual. But my mobile number has been registered with the service for some time.

You could always try contacting them I guess, though they are such a low-cost operation I wouldn't necessarily expect a reply.
    http://18185.co.uk/contact.php
  • TCA
    Options
    You could always try contacting them I guess, though they are such a low-cost operation I wouldn't necessarily expect a reply.

http://18185.co.uk/contact.php

Thanks, I've raised a fault with them and will post back here if I get a reply.
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    Paranoia perhaps but nowhere on the website do I see any mention of this process.

I wouldn't take too much notice of their website. It you check their "Latest News" story on their home page, you will see they last updated it on 27th May 2010 ::shocked:
  • TCA
    Options
    I got a reply from 18185. All seems fine although I had to get them to reply again as the first answer wasn't clear. Anyway, here's the replies below in case anyone else signs up and is as paranoid as me!

"Please register the number at the end of the message and you will then be able to continue using the service as desired. It is a confirmation process in order to proceed with the use of this service."

"if it is not completed then it means that there is an impediment preventing you from using the service from your provider and you must then contact them to request access to using this service."
  • The_Groat_Counter
    Options
    Glad to hear they got back to you TCA!

So it is a legitimate confirmation/verification procedure after all, which is good to know.

Shame this isn't mentioned on the website, but as SpanishBlue says above the website is hardly kept up to date - the only thing that does actually get updated is the call charges. There are still mentions of the Telewest and NTL cable companies on the website - those brands were replaced by Virgin Media in February 2007!

The 18185 operation (and that of its 'sister' providers, 18866 and 1899) seems to have been set up years ago and just left to tick over with minimal maintenance ever since. That's not to say the services don't work - they do - but it doesn't give the best impression to potential customers.
  • rdr
    rdr Posts: 400 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When our phone broke we replaced it with a Gigaset Voip phone and a localphone account. Before this latest 18185 increase we reconned that we would recover the extra cost of the phone in under a year.
    Other advantages include being able to have multipule calls at once, being able call using any wifi and reliable outgoing caller id.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport