Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That is correct, if the delay was due to ATC then it is outside the airlines control - "holding" is not unusual at Heathrow due to the volume of traffic
    You booked a tight connection which would only work if inbound flight was on time which did not happen this time.
    Were you provided with refreshment vouchers whilst waiting? If not you would be able to claim reimbursement of purchases by sending receipts in to BA claiming EU261 Duty of Care (applies irrespective if compensation due)
    You can claim for essential items purchased waiting for your delayed bag through Thai referencing the PIR number from the airport
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For what it's worth Arhodes, I'd never book flights with less than two hours connection time. My wife would insist on three.
  • Arhodes
    Options
    is there a website to check why it was delayed?
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Arhodes - in short no.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Arhodes wrote: »
    is there a website to check why it was delayed?

you can put your flight number/date into a couple of the NWNF free checkers - EUClaim / Bottonline and they will give an indication on whether they believe there is a valid claim or not....but if not, it does not give the specific reason for the delay
  • northwest1965
    Options
    For what it's worth Arhodes, I'd never book flights with less than two hours connection time. My wife would insist on three.

I am with your wife on that one:D We had the same problem with a BA connecting flight this year. We were paid out but it's not until you do some research about the flights, you realise how often they are late. Here's an paragraph from my letter to BA (we had a 12pm flight from Manc-LHR first)

The Denver flight gate closes at 2.30pm and there is only an allowed 90min transfer time. Flight statistics show that from the 30th May 2016 to 10th July 2016, there were 42 flights. Of these, on 22 occasions there were significant delays and 3 were cancelled. Therefore there is 60% chance of being bumped off the 2:50pm Heathrow to Denver flight. Applying the same criteria, the Denver flight departed on time on one occasion, with over 50% having delays of 45minutes or more.
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • tianuk3
    Options
    Hi all,

I took a BA flight in September which was delayed by more than 3 hours

details below:

Flight number: British Airways 2608
    Departure airport: London Gatwick Airport, LGW
    Scheduled departure time: 9/9/2016 15:05
    Scheduled arrival time: 9/9/2016 18.45
    arrival airport: Naples International Airport, NAP
    Actual arrival time according to BA: 9/9/2016 21.42

As you can see I have been emailing BA back and forth and they are telling me that my compensation claim has been refused as my flight delay was less than 3 hours.

According to the arrival time websites I have been to online; they are correct.

However none of the plane doors were opened until past 21.45 (they opened the first plane doors at around 21.50) and therefore according to the Germanwings EU case in 2014 the delay, the arrival time that airlines should be using is when the doors first open on the aircraft; this was actually greater than 3 hours.

As I wasn't in first/premium class I didn't have any of the aircraft doors visible; however I do have a picture of other passengers in front of me taking from my mobile phone on the aircraft at 21.52 (10minutes past the supposed BA arrival time).

How should I proceed next? As they have just been straight refusing any compensation.

Many thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tianuk3 - see what NWNF firms indicate by trying euclaims and Bott & Co free web checking pages. If they indicate claim then over to you but it seems you were so close to the threshold that I would be wary going DIY and might well consider NWNF. ACARS will show time of door release but there is no chance you will be given ACARS data (unless in Court) and although you may not have seen door opening the catch could have been released.
  • nedsram_2
    nedsram_2 Posts: 48 Forumite
    edited 22 October 2016 at 2:46PM
    Options
    The plane was due to depart at 21.35 local time, but around noon we received a text that it had been delayed until 18.00 the next day. We saw the text two hours before our hire car was due for return. Having previous experience of the chaos at the airport when this happened to us at Heathrow (weather related - eventually told to go and find somewhere to stay; no help at all was given), we decided to hold on to the car for another day and try to find accommodation ourselves. Hard when you have no internet access and aren't sure where the hotels are. (In the Heathrow case our expenses were reimbursed in full.)

Eventually we ended up at the Marriott LAX hotel. For one room, two breakfasts and overnight parking for the car we were charged an astonishing $394. British Airways are refusing to make a full refund as they consider this to be "excessive". However when we complained to Marriott about the charge, we were told that "prices vary according to availability, and are competitive with similar hotels".

Firstly, are BA being reasonable in refusing a full reimbursement, or should we contest this?

Secondly, the pilot stated that the delay was because the aircraft suffered damage on the apron, and another aircraft had to be found. Does this disqualify us from claiming the EU compensation of 600 euros per person?

Was anybody else here on that flight, and if so, what was your experience?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2016 at 3:46PM
    Options
    nedsram wrote: »
    The plane was due to depart at 21.35 local time, but around noon we received a text that it had been delayed until 18.00 the next day. We saw the text two hours before our hire car was due for return. Having previous experience of the chaos at the airport when this happened to us at Heathrow (weather related - eventually told to go and find somewhere to stay; no help at all was given), we decided to hold on to the car for another day and try to find accommodation ourselves. Hard when you have no internet access and aren't sure where the hotels are. (In the Heathrow case our expenses were reimbursed in full.)

Eventually we ended up at the Marriott LAX hotel. For one room, two breakfasts and overnight parking for the car we were charged an astonishing $394. British Airways are refusing to make a full refund as they consider this to be "excessive". However when we complained to Marriott about the charge, we were told that "prices vary according to availability, and are competitive with similar hotels".

Firstly, are BA being reasonable in refusing a full reimbursement, or should we contest this?

Secondly, the pilot stated that the delay was because the aircraft suffered damage on the apron, and another aircraft had to be found. Does this disqualify us from claiming the EU compensation of 600 euros per person?

Was anybody else here on that flight, and if so, what was your experience?

Hi nedsram,

Well firstly, you do have a valid claim for compensation. It seems that BA are not contesting this, so 600 euros per PAX.

Over your expenses it's not quite as clear. Have you claimed for an extra night car hire?

How did you end up in the LAX Marriott? did BA not offer to take you to a hotel of their choice?

Did they give you any guide line regarding costs and expenses?

What were your flight details? Ah got them, didn't get quoted above.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback