Trying to get on track

Options

Comments

• starfish1975
    Options
    Hi INOD.. Believe it or not I have just read your entire diary!!

I am from NI too.. Live in the north but work in the Rep.. i live in a border town.. I also take advantage of the cheap diesel in the south... But as I earn euro and all my household bills are in sterling.. I am in a peculiar situation! I have to carry 2 purses.. One for each currency!

I am currently in the states with work For 2 weeks..Your update on your visit to NYC was a complete contrast to my visit to the city today... I spent a few hours in macys.. And came home empty handed.. I am not one for labels and designer bags etc!

You are doing a great job on over paying your mortgage.. I really enjoyed your diary. I turn 40 this year.. So thinking of starting up my own diary to get my stuff in order before that milestone!

I agree with you on Tatyo cheese and onion crisp sandwiches... And it has to be white nutty crust loaf and real butter!!
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    Oh golly INOD - we did succumb to a nap - for exactly the same reason! Bookcase sounds like a considered investment, not a knee-jerk spend. Well done :D

But ooooh, I could demolish a crisp sanger now......... :rotfl:

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £8/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £214.28/215
    Non-food household spend April £29.23/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Hello peeps, or to quote gp, visitors, how lovely. I didn't manage the nap but got a really good night's sleep which is wonderful.

The bookcase was a considered purchase. I even broke with tradition and measured the space it was to go into. I have a somewhat odd attitude to house purchases in that I don't make do but instead do without until I get what I want. For that reason, we do have some nice pieces of wooden furniture in the downstairs rooms. It was funny though as for over two years after we moved here, one room at the front of the house had my brother's donated discarded kitchen table covered with a table cloth and every 10 days or so, I refreshed the vase of floors on it (normally with weeds from the garden). These fitted into the bay window and the rest of the room was empty. I was always concerned that if I settled for something that I didn't really want, my ex would never see the need to change it and I'd end up hating it. I've been in this house close to 25 years and the bookcase will be the final piece of furniture to complete the living room.

Starfish, how lovely to see you. Can't believe you read my now year old ramblings. Re ny, I love to get shopping there. I love the range of sizes they do in normal clothes, I need to lose at least three stone. Last time I got a Calvin Klein suit reduced to approx £45. It's not the label it's the fit and the quality and OH got two Kenneth Cole suits for less than a third of the cost at home. Like gp, you've hit me in the mood for those wonderful sandwiches. I do believe that while ni is doing well in tech world and research world, tayto is the world beating product. Anyhow last night's play was by the very talented Marie jones and was excellent. Dinner was ok but all in all a good night out. Today is going to be house focused and food prep focused as I have the makings of some soup and some stew which are both just right for this time of year. Will also have to update progress against 2015 goals including the additional 2lbs gained. Not good. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • millionaire_in_training
    Options
    One of my plans once I get debt free is to buy good quality furniture, I have a really nice set of tables in my lounge that I inherited from my Mum and I would match everything to them. But furniture is one of a long list of things I want to do :)
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • liltdiddylilt
    Options
    I think you are exactly right to do without until you find the one... I live with a motley crew of hand me downs, *found* stuff, and cheap mdf made to look like nice wood furniture... All of which is perfectly serviceable and so I don't change it because I an stingy.... :rotfl:

The only things I bought that were truly thought out and made properly were my sofas (£2300 :eek:) and my mattress which is quality yet still a bargain :) and my duvet, everything else is rubbish! ;)
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Yesterday was a write off. Accomplished nothing and there's no explanation. Today will be a long day as my last dublin meeting of the day starts at 4.30. Not looking forward to the drive back as the weather is not supposed to be good. Anyhows, as my mum would say, must do is a great master, so I'm out the door shortly. Hope everyone gets their week off to a good start.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • MrsR68
    MrsR68 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Hope the weather is kind for your drive home.x
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Went to a client first thing who was totally unprepared and we deferred fieldwork to last week in February. Meant I was on the road to dublin early which was just as well as flat tyre light came on by the second exit. 40 mins later I was back on the road. While I curse the tax implications of a company car, on days like this I'm so glad that sorting it out is someone else's problem. So so dublin meeting and, on way back, filled up with diesel and, if my currency calculations are right, I got it at just under £1 a litre. Have lots of prep to do for tomorrow so better get a wiggle on. Today I am grateful for good wishes.
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Got all my prep done last night for today's meeting. It won't be an easy one but there will be an attempt to run through stuff that I think needs discussed. Not looking forward to it but hey ho. On the plus side, lunch is provided so it makes for a cheap day. The bad weather has been causing sleep disruption. I'm shattered and wish I could hide under the duvet. Still haven't transferred my voucher savings from the weekend and remembered that there's another £20 due from when I cashed in a voucher won last June for the Christmas cheese. Just need to keep an eye on the current account balance. Anyhow, here's to a good day for everyone. Nearly a third of the way through January.
  • supersaver1000
    Options
    I think you are exactly right to do without until you find the one... I live with a motley crew of hand me downs, *found* stuff, and cheap mdf made to look like nice wood furniture... All of which is perfectly serviceable and so I don't change it because I an stingy.... :rotfl:

The only things I bought that were truly thought out and made properly were my sofas (£2300 :eek:) and my mattress which is quality yet still a bargain :) and my duvet, everything else is rubbish! ;)

Clever Lilty. We have hard leather sofas - they are going to last forever but are totally uncomfortable. We sleep on our mattress and use our sofa's and duvet every day - worth buying good ones.

XOXOX
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport